Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
SRMN8R OP
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,992
Is there a really good 2 up adventure bike?

As my son grows, I find that the 2008 KLR I bought last year is lacking in it's ability to comfortably handle the two of us. Sure, I can upgrade the rear shock to a much more expensive unit like a Moab, install new dog bones, upgrade the front suspension with intimators, cartridges and springs... but I'm still left with a bike that has a very small cockpit for 2 riders, and is low on power.

Additionally, I really miss my wife on some rides. I get away, and find myself wishing she was able to share the moment with me. Neither of us are small, and I can't imagine the two of us ever being comfortable on the KLR regardless of the suspension upgrades.

I'm thinking I may end up with a V-Twin cruiser, and keep the KLR for back roads and dirt, but I think I'd be much happier with a dual sport instead of the cruiser. I've been there and done the cruiser scene. And yep, I still have the t-shirt.

Are any of you "large in stature" and comfortable riding 2 up on dual sport bikes? I eagerly anticipate your feedback.
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,248
Leaning towards the street side would be a Stelvio for me.

More dirt would have me on a 990 Adventure.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
alexcorral
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
Gs1200r...
alexcorral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,964
The obvious choices would be....

1. GS/GSA
2. VSTrom (650 or 1000)
3. Stelvio
4. 990
5. Used....Tiger
6. Used....Cagiva Gran Canyon

The wife and I have done about 5,000 miles 2-up...with about 500 miles of dirt. Great bike!!!!
Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
ADKbeemer
Understanding Serendipity

Oddometer: 2,358
Hmmm.... depends on what you mean by "adventure bike"..., as in where are you going to ride? Also how much your going to carry? Two up B and B or camping? Minimal or the kitchen sink?

In increasing cost some twins I have ridden (some just as a test)...

V-Strom 650 or 1000 (my wife and I just did 1500 miles on the wee)
KTM 950 Adventure
BMW 900 GS
BMW 1200 GS (not v-twin though)

If money was a critical point (you are riding a KLR - sorry) I'd consider the wee or v for a good combo of paved and dirt road performance at an affordable price.

For more off road than on, the KTM and 900 GS, while very capable tourers, can offer a little more in the way of ground clearance for more serious stuff (yes, I know, the strom can do it too!) and more grunt than the wee.

The 1200 GS is a behemoth of a bike, but very capable cruising long miles. It too can eat up the dirt miles as well. Just tough to pick up if you drop it!

There are other options, like the Tiger. If your not in the US, even more still. You can farkle all of these with every imaginable accessory as you may have with your KLR.

I would consider where you want to ride, how much gear you intend to carry and your budget. Then do some lurking in the forums, check the specs and test ride a few, two up. You might love one, but your wife my find the pillion position on one bike is just not her thing, especially on a long ride. Just my .02...

Best of luck!
ADKbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
spokes81
enjoy your spagehtti

Oddometer: 169
DL650 or DL1000 V-Strom would do the trick man....if you like the offroad go for the 650, it's lighter and better in the dirt but still plenty for 2-up touring. If you are more for the performance than the DL1000 is good, lots of people on here will tell you the 650 is two small for 2-up but they are wrong....trust me i've done lots. It will cruise just fine at 150kms an hour with a head wind up hill loaded with 390lbs of human and about 80lbs of luggage and still have a little left to pass somthing.

"As bad as that went, it couldn't have gone any better for that particular situation!" - Travis Pastrana
spokes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,825
Should be able to get a Uly at KLR prices.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #8
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard
Should be able to get a Uly at KLR prices.
...and a Uly is definitely a great two-up adventure bike. I believe Cycle World put it "best passenger accommodations this side of a Gold Wing".
Old 10-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #9
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses
...and a Uly is definitely a great two-up adventure bike. I believe Cycle World put it "best passenger accommodations this side of a Gold Wing".
I will be watching for a good deal to keep as a 'spare.'

Tom B
Old 10-15-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
SRMN8R OP
Down & Out

Thanks for the replies y'all.

I really do like the V/Wee Stroms, but I lack some range of motion in one knee, and the pegs are set just a bit too far back for me to be comfortable on the bike.

The vast majority of my riding is on the road, but I do enjoy fire roads as well as some double track. I'm considering the TAT in 6 years (when my boy graduates high school). I expect that we'll do the big bike re-routes.

As for the Uly, I hadn't really considered that bike. I'll have to try one out.

I've watched for 2 up reports for some time, and there just are not many out there. Especially with passengers that aren't small.

Again, thank you for the replies. I do plan on renting a GS for a weekend getaway with the wife.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #11
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMN8R
Thanks for the replies y'all.

I really do like the V/Wee Stroms, but I lack some range of motion in one knee, and the pegs are set just a bit too far back for me to be comfortable on the bike.

The vast majority of my riding is on the road, but I do enjoy fire roads as well as some double track. I'm considering the TAT in 6 years (when my boy graduates high school). I expect that we'll do the big bike re-routes.

As for the Uly, I hadn't really considered that bike. I'll have to try one out.

I've watched for 2 up reports for some time, and there just are not many out there. Especially with passengers that aren't small.

Again, thank you for the replies. I do plan on renting a GS for a weekend getaway with the wife.

I too lack ROM in my left knee. I had the Stelvio for a week and we rode DV two up. I put 3k on it that week and my passengers were full sized real world people...that's the nicest way I can say, "Not model thin."...

Check out the link in my sigline for the Stelvio report. I also had a Uly for 40,000 miles...look at something else.

The GS would be a good choice if it weren't for all of the problems with those things...I've ridden those too and I don't really like the way they ride.

There are a few two-up reports on the 950/990...BigWan and LittleWan did the TAT on a 950. I think his screen name is space or something like that and they went 2-up to the tip of SAmerica on a 990.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #12
SRMN8R OP
Down & Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
I too lack ROM in my left knee. I had the Stelvio for a week and we rode DV two up. I put 3k on it that week and my passengers were full sized real world people...that's the nicest way I can say, "Not model thin."...

Check out the link in my sigline for the Stelvio report. I also had a Uly for 40,000 miles...look at something else.
I recently looked at a Stelvio at my local dealership. They're pretty pricey, but my gosh they're beautiful!

I'll check out your report!

Thanks!

- J
Old 10-16-2009, 07:40 AM   #13
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,672
knee, or back?

I think if you even hint at cruzer you should be thrown out of this forum

seriously, have you ridden a cruiser for a LOT of miles???? I have.
They do have one advantage in general, that being they are INTENDED to ride 2 large people [i mean... just look around....]
The emphasis is on comfort and excess... excess weight, excess bulk, excess stuff to have to keep clean, excess... excess...
But they do carry 2-up well, having a low center of gravity and typically heavy excess suspension, most of the later ones have decent brakes.

for me, a cruiser is a straight-line, high boredom kind of ride on nice smooth roads, that ends with me having a serious backache because the impact of the ride is right on the tailbone, transmitting through the spine/lower-back. but you can stretch out your gimpy knee.

you can strikethrough that word "adventure", unless 'adventure' means driving across a rough patch of pavement
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:30 AM   #14
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,999
+1 used Tiger
Old 10-16-2009, 09:51 AM   #15
BigMark
Master Of Sophism

Oddometer: 464
+2 used Tiger (Make sure you get one with some farkles)
IBA#40504
Global Wild Card Tag
BigMark is offline   Reply With Quote