Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
nick_rhinocycles OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Don Vesco Rabid Transit Fairing Questions

Gang,
I have a Don Vesco Rabid Transit fairing that I am looking to mount to my R100GS.

Unfortunately I don't have the mounting hardware, and will have to fabricate this.
Anyone have pics of how this should be mounted?

To further complicate things, my R100GS has an HPN tank on it which interferes with the Fairing, as does the PD Tank on the R80.

Should I cut the Vesco Rabid Transit Fairing to fit, or is that sacriligious as they are kind of rare these days?

Or do I just get a stock tank instead?

In case you don't know what the Vesco RT fairing looks like here is an a nice example on an R90S:

PS -- I am amazed to find that Gustafsson Makes Screens for this Fairing! http://www.bikescreen.com/proddetail...onvescoTD37580

Thanks for any BTTD advice.
--Nick
nick_rhinocycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,800
I had one of those that came with my R90 way back when. The sucker was sooo heavy. Very cool, but added a fair amount of dive to what was already a shitty brake up front. Oh well.

It all mounted to the front fork legs with a pair of brackets that were held to the legs with hose clamps. Can you hear the rattle? The mounts would be easy to make, but I don't have a picture and can't remember enough about them to be very useful.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
Kamakura Kid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
I understand they are getting pricey these days. I find it hard to cut anything like that, so I'd go with a stock tank. Anyways, I too have a Vesco RT that I picked up w/o brackets. I did manage to find a pic of a RT with the brackets, that's posted below. The brackets are the two identical items on the lower right side of the pic, I have no idea waht that subframe looking thing on the left is supposed to be.

Kamakura Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:23 PM   #4
velofish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I had a Rabid Transit fairing on my R100 for a number of years.

It mounted to the downtubes with the bracket on the left of the above picture. The brackets then attached to the inner sides of the fairing. Adjustable for height, as I recall.

Same bracket as used by the Vetter Windjammer.
Should be fairly easy to find, as a million windjammers were used and discarded. Just make sure you get one made for your frame.

I believe that my 's' bars hit the fairing on full lock. Rabid Transit had thier own bar that was a bit flatter than the 's' bars.

fish
velofish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:45 PM   #5
nick_rhinocycles OP
Studly Adventurer

Kamakura Kid

Kamakura Kid --
Thanks for the picture. I believe the bracket on the left side is that part that attaches to the "down tubes" of the frame.
The flat part with hold for bolts is what actually supports the weight of the fairing and would be parallel to the bottom of the tank. I think.
Man I wish I could hold it up to my bike, huh?

BTW are you from Kamakura? My wife is from there! Go Giant Buddha! and Can'on!

Velofish -- Thanks for the response and the Vetter Bracket is a great tip!
I'll try and locate one.

--Nick
Old 02-18-2007, 09:49 PM   #6
nick_rhinocycles OP
Studly Adventurer

Yes, mine is heavy too. I have a beefy assed fork and brake so I'm not too worried.
http://rhinocycles.com/htdb/bikes.html

But yeah, on my R80ST with stock brake (what *were* they thinking)....bad idea.

My friend rode my bike and he says " you would think that BMW would have figured all this shit out by now " (charging problems, no brakes).

I guess they have huh? But compared to Jap bikes of the same vintage, way behind!

thanks for the response!
--Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb
I had one of those that came with my R90 way back when. The sucker was sooo heavy. Very cool, but added a fair amount of dive to what was already a shitty brake up front. Oh well.

It all mounted to the front fork legs with a pair of brackets that were held to the legs with hose clamps. Can you hear the rattle? The mounts would be easy to make, but I don't have a picture and can't remember enough about them to be very useful.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:11 PM   #7
Kamakura Kid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Cool! Now I know what I have to get in order to mount my VRT to my Z.

Yup, Kamakura born/raised.

Shonan rocks!
Kamakura Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:42 AM   #8
velofish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Glad I could help.

I got my bracket from Eurocycles, I believe. Had to have it rewelded at one or two spots-- the stock welds were kinda crappy as I recall, it's been awhile, so inspect yours carefully.

The bracket also attaches to the small crossmemeber at the front of the beemer frame. Mine came with a /5 bracket, the difference being the attachment point at the small horizontal crossmember. I found one for a /7, but I suppose a good welder could modify whatever you find.

The whole mess did attach to the frame with hose clamps but was pretty solid. Lots of folks would attach a small piece of plexiglass right in the middle of the shield closest to the rider, sticking straight up. This would give a cleaner air flow over the riders helmet. I always thought it looked goofy as hell that way, so used some Saeng edging instead. Worked well.

Good luck, guys. I always thought that fairing looked pretty cool-- reminded me of the old Berlin-Avus aerodynamic racers of the thirties.

fish

velofish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:54 AM   #9
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,508
I have a Rabid Transit around here that I've got to find a bike to mount it on. Mine came with a pretty horribly broken, modified etc. bracket. I've picked up a bracket from a Luftmeister fairing for an airhead and as far as I can make out these brackets for Lufty's, Windjammers, Hannigan's and Rabid Transits are the same or similiar enought to use for each other. There is some adjustment in the mount that is attached to the Rabid Transit that the others don't have and it helps. JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:02 AM   #10
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,301
Damn, other than the backrest and the mag wheels, that looks just like the R90S I had in the early '80S.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:34 AM   #11
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Unless you plan on turning your GS into a road bike, I think the Vesco fairing is not the best idea. You will probably have problems getting adequate clearance for the handlebars unless you make them very low and narrow or move the fairing very far forward. As noted, it's a heavy fairing, and you would be placing a lot of weight up high and forward. While you could carve out the inner moulding of the fairing to clear the HPN tank (the fairing was moulded in two halves, an inside and outside, and bonded togather), you would loose the pockets and much of it's strength, as well as the factory mounting points.
The Rapid Transit is a classic bit of motorcycling history, but Matt Guzetta (the guy who made the fairings and ran the company for a while) would probably forgive you.......
As I recall, the Luftmeister bracket is a little narrower than the Windjammer and is a better fit. The other small angle brackets pictured are to allow you to adjust the tilt of the fairing on the bike.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:01 PM   #12
Bobo1167
On a different frequency

Oddometer: 270
Perhaps there's a better bike for the Rabid Transit

That you have yet to find.....

I replaced a RT with a Windjammer and there was no need to change the mount. That said, the GS isn't the same as an 100/7 tank and bars and such and since the GS is newer I'll bet there has never been a windjammer (or anything else) that has a mount for the GS.

I replaced the RT on that 100/7 cause I thought it was about the worst fairing I had ever experienced. I had the tall windsheild and the buffeting was spectacular, the rattles neverending, it was horrible. The beat up, used windjammer (free from a budies basement, four bolts and some wiring) was fabulous in comparison.

IMHO, sell or keep for RT for a restoration, and put some big 'ol plastic popemobile windsheild on the GS and go ride.

bobo
Bobo1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:36 PM   #13
nick_rhinocycles OP
Studly Adventurer

Sounds like good advice. I just wanted something aerodynamic, decent looking, and a bit unusual.

I might try it out longer term... and I might just pick up a parabellum real quick too.
--Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo1167
That you have yet to find.....

I replaced a RT with a Windjammer and there was no need to change the mount. That said, the GS isn't the same as an 100/7 tank and bars and such and since the GS is newer I'll bet there has never been a windjammer (or anything else) that has a mount for the GS.

I replaced the RT on that 100/7 cause I thought it was about the worst fairing I had ever experienced. I had the tall windsheild and the buffeting was spectacular, the rattles neverending, it was horrible. The beat up, used windjammer (free from a budies basement, four bolts and some wiring) was fabulous in comparison.

IMHO, sell or keep for RT for a restoration, and put some big 'ol plastic popemobile windsheild on the GS and go ride.

bobo
Old 06-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #14
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_rhinocycles

Damn, that's gorgeous!

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:57 PM   #15
poppubear
geezer

Oddometer: 3
Wink Anybody want to sell an RT sport screen?

I want to buy an original (thick lexan) sport screen, with or without the flip. And no, I am not interested in the crappy Gustafssen model made of Saran wrap. Got one and a pine beetle put a nice star in it at about 50mph.
BTW, I've ridden behind lots of different fairings and I really like these. This is my third, and it's on a resto of my longest owned bike, an '80 R100T. Vesco & Co put a lot of R&D into these and they are slippery. Believe what you want. MPG comparisons don't lie in the real world, just like Vesco's results didn't lie on the 'flats. Seems lighter than Vetter or Lufty sails.
Anyway, I'll pay serious bucks for a sport (not touring) screen. E-mail me direct at barrysmith54@comcast.net and I'll take that white elephant off your hands, and reward you handsomely in the process.
Thanks,
Barry
poppubear is offline   Reply With Quote