Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #1
Kennif OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Capital Coast Adventure Ride (Wellington NZ)

Hi Guys
Does anyone know if the Capital Coast Adventure Ride is going to happen again this year? From all accounts the 2006 ride was a blast - I was keen to go but got hijacked by family at the last moment.
Thanks,
Kennif
Kennif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:50 PM   #2
Oscar
Assburger

Oddometer: 16,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennif
Hi Guys
Does anyone know if the Capital Coast Adventure Ride is going to happen again this year? From all accounts the 2006 ride was a blast - I was keen to go but got hijacked by family at the last moment.
Thanks,
Kennif

Johnny 4skins organises that ride.
Send him a PM (user name 4skins).
In the meantime here's some pics of the last one:

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Oscar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,588
Bump, this should be further up the line, or have I missed another thread on this topic? I am really looking forward to it.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
TransalperNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
The Capital Coast website is here.
I'm all set to go, see ya all there.
TransalperNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
Merv
Easy Biker

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransalperNZ
The Capital Coast website is here.
I'm all set to go, see ya all there.
Yep I'll be there again - haven't missed one yet. Kinda have to do them when its my local.

Must get the entry in. Had lunch with 4skins today (our regular meet) and he's saying he hasn't had many entries in yet, but I said that's what he gets for saying on the form entries close 21 April.

Also Kiwi Rider has an ad that says look out for the entry form but its never been published in there which is not much use for non-interwebby guys like my Bro' so I've posted him a print of one off 4skins site.

Photos from last time are over on this thread here

Earlier rides I posted pics on this thread here

Merv screwed with this post 03-12-2008 at 06:39 PM
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:58 PM   #6
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,441
I've heard a few comments about people being put off by the discussion on suitable tyres on KB and wonder if 4skins shouldn't try a bit of positive PR? I know of a couple of people who aren't going simply because they now believe the ride will be beyond their ability / bike suitability.
I understand it's a ride we can all complete with a bit of common sense and I would hate to think of people restricting themselves because of percieved difficulties.

Come on you lot, sign up and enjoy the day!
Crisis management is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #7
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,445
Maybe something that should be reiterated is that there are optional "Challenge" sections with more technical riding. These are really the only parts that require decent rubber or failing that, lots of enduro trophies on the shelf. Likely you won't miss much scenery if you skip these bits.

Check Oscar's photo of the Scrambler and the road tyres. DC rode the thing most of the day, Stretch rode it through the snottiest challenge sections no problem at all.

I've seen plenty of non-dirt riders on big bikes with pillions and road tyres have a fantastic day on these types of rides, but they stuck to the easy routes / main roads. And typically, before the end of the day, they are saying, "next time I'm gonna have decent tyres!"

Having said that, I'd follow the recommendations of the ride organiser.
The Stable
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
vege
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Having said that, I'd follow the recommendations of the ride organiser. [/QUOTE]

The organiser makes the reccommendations based on over 25 years of off road event organising. The CCA's are not meant to be a grovel,plenty of trail rides or' gasp' enduros for that . I saw several guys on big bmws on the last CCA who had the standard road tyres fitted,they struggled in some places but with help they got through . Fitting more off road oriented tyres will make the ride easier especially if it rains. Im personally sick of trying to tell guys to fit tyres as their excuses range from i cannot afford it (yeah right thats why they own a big trailie ) they will slide in the wet(only if your actually going fast and leaning the bike over ) the trip there and back will wear them out ( is that not why they are going ) etc etc.. Anybody can find an excuse why they could not go so just ignore them,if they are too pussy why should we care.

It is only when the ground conditions deteriorate that 'good tyres " make the difference BUT they cannot compensate for skills and miles of off road riding that many adventure riders have. Everybody wants a quick fix so they can ride their big bling bike in true off road conditions ,well so far as i know there aint no pill,just hard work and application.

4 skins is marking the event out on his KTM adventure 990 ,yes he has good tyres ,conti tkc 80's fitted ,but he knows what hes doing. We took a vee strom through all the challenge sections a few years back with an inexperienced rider with tkc's, we had ridden down from Auckland over 12 hours of main and back roads ,so tyres were not fresh, we had only one moment on a slippery grass down hill, the rider knew enough to stop at the top and walk it down with a dead engine rather than attempt to ride down and crash. He has since spent many hours trail riding and gravel road blasting.
The event will be a good one , so be there or be at home web bleating.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:19 PM   #9
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Vege, my point wasn't a "poor me" cry, I was just a bit surprised (and concerned) that some people had been put off by some of the discussion (on KB) regarding tyres / bike size / conditions.
I would have thought it benefited everyone, riders & organisers to have as many participants as possible as I'm sure all riders will be able to complete the ride, albeit (new, fancy word for march!) with a bit of assistance.

We should be encouraging people into this type of riding, not taking a stance that puts people off.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:33 PM   #10
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management
We should be encouraging people into this type of riding, not taking a stance that puts people off.
On the otherhand you don't want the place to get too crowded. I need a bit of run-off in case I overshoot the target.

Why would anyone want to do an off-road event on crappy tires, I need every help I can get.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:39 PM   #11
vege
Studly Adventurer

We should be encouraging people into this type of riding, not taking a stance that puts people off.[/QUOTE]

Having run a few adventure rides over the years and having seen lots of tossers have problems because they are too stupid to listen to GOOD ADVICE . If the tyre fits wear it.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:47 AM   #12
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

I'm not suggesting we promote the idea that GN250's with shinko road tyres would be a good a idea, if your taking on an adventure ride you need a suitable bike and tyres. However, my original point was that some people on suitable bikes, with sufficient skill had been put off by some over enthusiastic "discussion".
I am only suggesting that a bit of positive PR would probably encourage those people to join the ride rather than feel daunted by it.
Seems a pity to have what looks like a great ride not enjoyed by as many as possible.

If I get stuck, I promise to get unstuck by myself, OK?
Old 03-17-2008, 01:27 AM   #13
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Nah, you won't get stuck CM. Just use the downed Scrambler n rider for traction.
Which reminds me, must get the cheque away. Order a 17 tooth front sprocket. Fit the E-09 rear. Grow some balls, learn how to stay upright etc etc etc
Old 03-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #14
vege
Studly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Crisis management]I'm not suggesting we promote the idea that GN250's with shinko road tyres would be a good a idea, if your taking on an adventure ride you need a suitable bike and tyres.

on the first Kiwi Rider 500 ,David Vinsen from Mike Vinsen Motorcycles rode a GN 250 with knobblies, it handled everything well and would definitely suit a lot of riders....

Too many people ride bikes that are more than they can handle imho, i rode a kawasaki w650 fitted with a karoo front and a mitas E07 rear on one of the Pirongia adventure rides, it was amazing to ride and passing lots of guys struggling at slow speed on the farmland and on the beach. It would slide predictably and with its low center of gravity and smooth power it just hooked up. One of my current riding buddies has one and he is one happy adventure rider.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:49 PM   #15
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Spark Arresters

Hi vege,
I'm not sure if my home made spark arresters will be up to scratch.
The Scrambler off road pipes are quite open, and this is about the only way to restrict them.
The final design will go deeper into the muffler, (about 4''), but I'm just after some feed back.
Cheers.
Attached Images