User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,694
Poor man's arai XD

like the xd idea of a shielded dirtbike helmet, but didn't want to pay the price?
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...met/hjc/cl-xs/
that is when it's available in the US.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps

eakins screwed with this post 02-18-2007 at 05:10 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,899
You've posted a truncated URL and whatever cheap helmet you've bought, will it offer anywhere near the protection of an Arai...?
Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:09 PM   #3
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtum
You've posted a truncated URL and whatever cheap helmet you've bought, will it offer anywhere near the protection of an Arai...?
i didn't say i bought toughguy. so bit my wire.
i actually own an XD but was trying to pass along info for others.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
duckrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtum

An HJC dosen't offer anywhere near the protection of an Arai? I'd like to see the documentation to back up that statement. Sounds like bull shit to me.
duckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
Mossy_Crk
Fallen over

Oddometer: 590
Not a bad looking helmet. I like the fit of the ac-x2. I'm about to buy that for a dirt only lid and keep the XD for the dual sporting.

{hijack}

DOT is DOT isn't it? Is there hard core proof out there (let's not argue SNELL right now) that a 500 dollar lid provides more protection? Is the difference mostly weight and the fine details...like noise, quality of vents, etc?

I've seen folks in expensive cars with near endless airbags, etc die while the guy in the inexpensive car with no safety features other than a seatbelt survive. I have a hard time accepting "safety only for people with the $$$ for expensive stuff."

{/hijack}
Mossy_Crk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:18 PM   #6
BOHUNTR
Character and Honor Count

Oddometer: 435
There was a sign in the motorcycle shop where I worked as a kid. It said "If you have a $2.00 head, wear a $2.00 helmet."

I've taken that to heart since I saw a good friend of mine have a collision with a car outside of the high school parking lot. This was 1982, and she had a Bell fullface helmet. The helmet was shattered at the chin piece, but she had no head injuries, though numerous other injuries.

I have an XD now and am going to get another full face as well.

John
BOHUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #7
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckrider
An HJC dosen't offer anywhere near the protection of an Arai? I'd like to see the documentation to back up that statement. Sounds like bull shit to me.
Crash studies have showed that a big $ full face DOT helmet protects no better than a low budget full face DOT Helmet.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:32 PM   #8
Dread
Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOHUNTR
There was a sign in the motorcycle shop where I worked as a kid. It said "If you have a $2.00 head, wear a $2.00 helmet."
And if it is that easy to persuade someone to put down that much cash for a helmet that doesn't actually offer more protection (comfort yes, protection no) then, well, maybe the person actually DOES have a $2.00 head ....

I think a lot of the BMWs engineering, but I can disassemble, clean, and reinstall the entire fuel system of a KLR on a picnic table, drunk, with my eyes closed. It counts for something. - ldeikis
Dread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:18 PM   #9
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,330
Quote:

I've taken that to heart since I saw a good friend of mine have a collision with a car outside of the high school parking lot. This was 1982, and she had a Bell fullface helmet. The helmet was shattered at the chin piece, but she had no head injuries, though numerous other injuries.

I have an XD now and am going to get another full face as well.

John
That's the same old shite that comes out every time helmets are mentioned. If a helmet passes the apporpriate tests then other factors aside (cost, personal comfort, noise, access to spares etc.) that's good enough.

Where's the limit then ? You have a $200 or a $300 head ? How about $1,000 ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:02 PM   #10
Mossy_Crk
Fallen over

Quote:
Did they happen to sell helmets? I would be more impressed if I saw that sign in hospitals or at the DMV or from the MSF.

Quote:
This example doesn't speak to the difference in prices...only that a helmet saved her.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:13 PM   #11
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,420
Personally I hope they bring more of these type helmets to the USA in the near future!!

I currently use a modular street helmet because I like the flip shield rather than goggles and a street full face doesn't offer enough breathing room when you find yourself on a tight technical trail.

I have several helmets including an Arai full face.(that's spent most of it's life on a shelf) I would like to have an XD and may just have to buy one if the competition doesn't get it's act in gear!

btw I think an HJC may even be a better helmet than the Arai! The last helmet test I seen a $79 lid won for best impact protection!!

knybanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:48 AM   #12
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,560
Anyone who uses that $2 head line is ill-informed. Need I point everyone ONCE AGAIN to the infamous "Motorcyclist" article regarding helmet safety?

And besides, I have a ONE MILLION DOLLAR head, so I guess I am shit out of luck 'cause I can't seem to find a $1,000,000 helmet. Maybe I'll find one at the motorcycle show this weekend...

I still say for the money my $150 Scorpion VX-17 is the best helmet I have ever owned, including my Shoei.

flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:58 AM   #13
Jet Jaguar
King of the poseurs

Oddometer: 349
Forget about price point, what if the XD doesn't fit your head shape? You're SOL because there's no other choice. A helmet that doesn't fit right isn't safer than one that does, no matter how expensive it is.

Anyway, to get back to the OP, according to this thread the US distributor of HJC helmets has absolutely no interest in bringing the CL-XS to the US. It's a shame, between the CL-XS, Shoei Hornet, and the Airoh S4 and Tyger, riders have a choice of DS helmets in Europe, but none of those alternatives are available here. Some folks will have these helmets shipped from overseas on their own, but I'd be nervous about buying a helmet that I couldn't try on in person first. Well, I might be willing to take a chance on a CL-XS since I have an HJC AC-X3 that fits me well, but the shipping charges are a deal breaker...

It's not an adventure unless you need a tent, a passport, and a leather glove for your shooting hand.
'05 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
Jet Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:06 AM   #14
Mossy_Crk
Fallen over

I like those scorpion helmets, Flux. I just wish they had a modular. I've been looking at the AGV Miglia as well. I would put the comfort of the Scorpion up there with the top $$$ helmets I have tried, but I've only worn them for about an hour and not on a bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
And besides, I have a ONE MILLION DOLLAR head,
This is why it takes three estimates. I would have said about $37.50.

How about this? It even has a visor.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:09 AM   #15
Mossy_Crk
Fallen over

Jet, Is there a fit difference between the AC-X2 and X3? Like most helmet websites, the HJC gives so great info. Is the X3 just a repalcement for the X2 or is it different fitting X2 shaped like Arai and X3 shaped like Shoei or something like that?