ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
Jaybee750 OP
Adventurer
 
Jaybee750's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Eastern Suburbs Mexico (Vic)
Oddometer: 39
Bike Comms - so much

Hi guys,

Bike communications for adventure riders, I have tralled the internet far and wide and am now more confused than I was when I started.

It seems that comms can also be a personal thing, but like most I want to find that balance between a good reliable system and cost.

I want a system as follows

1. no external helmet mounting, eg speakers, mic, and plug all inside
2. not bothered about Bluetooth adds complexity, unless it can be done without external helmet mount.
3. Want UHF connection (gme) with Push to talk
4. Sat nav connection a nice to have
5. Phone/music connection
6. Want to run single cable from helmet to bike/control box not multiple to cope with music etc.
7. Would prefer if it was powered off the bike
8. Cancelling feature when say UHF comes over music

Would something like the old Autocomm system be the best?

Any help greatly appreciated as I don't want to spend massive dollars like the sena system.

Cheers
JB
Jaybee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
dirt_bloke
No idea
 
dirt_bloke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Wide Bay, Queensland, Australia
Oddometer: 819
I have a Starcom1 Advance on the Tiger that does all that. Check DMME in the Vendors Section.

This thread will morph into the other Comm thread in;

5

4

3

2

1

__________________
I've often thought that
_________________________________________
Not a Member of the......Quorn Schnitzel Club
(yet)
dirt_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
Jaybee750 OP
Adventurer
 
Jaybee750's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Eastern Suburbs Mexico (Vic)
Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_bloke View Post
I have a Starcom1 Advance on the Tiger that does all that. Check DMME in the Vendors Section.

This thread will morph into the other Comm thread in;

5

4

3

2

1

Thanks but it's Bluetooth, and you have the adaptor sitting on the outside of the helmet?
Jaybee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #4
dirt_bloke
No idea
 
dirt_bloke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Wide Bay, Queensland, Australia
Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee750 View Post
Thanks but it's Bluetooth, and you have the adaptor sitting on the outside of the helmet?
Ok then....



Oh dear...
__________________
I've often thought that
_________________________________________
Not a Member of the......Quorn Schnitzel Club
(yet)
dirt_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:09 AM   #5
Jaybee750 OP
Adventurer
 
Jaybee750's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Eastern Suburbs Mexico (Vic)
Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_bloke View Post
Ok then....



Oh dear...

Looks like a great set up, so can you elborate on it if its bluetooth?

Thanks
Jaybee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:52 AM   #6
dirt_bloke
No idea
 
dirt_bloke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Wide Bay, Queensland, Australia
Oddometer: 819
Ok, a couple of years ago I went through the same process.
The system I wanted is exactly what you described.

I did all the research and decided that the Starcom1 unit was what would do the job, however new the system is expensive. Last year before I did the trip out to Birdsville, a system came up on eBay and I purchased it.

This is my current set up:



The Starcom unit is in the jiffy box under the passenger seat (photos from previous post). Speakers and mic are wired into my helmet. Wire to my helmet via a 6 pin plug (see curly cable on screen).

All parts are cabled to the Starcom unit.
Yellow button next to the horn is the PTT for the UHF.
GPS is a Garmin 660. This does Bluetooth to my mobile phone.
On top of the Triple Clamps is a pouch for my MP3 player. (The Starcom unit mutes this when somebody transmits on the UHF or the GPS barks directions).
I also have another heatset connector for my pillion, this was used to good effect when I took Miss Nat for a ride to Bendigo earlier this year.

We could talk to each other, listen to music, talk to others over the UHF, report to the missus on the mobile phone, get instructions from the GPS trying to find our way through Sydney.

The things does what it says it can do.

I looked at all sorts of ways to build something myself, but in the end buying the right gear to do the job was much better.

Good luck.
__________________
I've often thought that
_________________________________________
Not a Member of the......Quorn Schnitzel Club
(yet)
dirt_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:49 AM   #7
Reefdog
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Reefdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Dubai UAE
Oddometer: 495
Hi DB
can you hear anything above 110klm/h?
how much wind noise is in your transmit at the above speed?
What speakers do you use in the brain bucket?
What mic?

My set up (its a cheapie not like yours I may add) is useless over 80 klm/h, so don't even plug in now

reef
Reefdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:50 AM   #8
richo360
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Melb S/S/E
Oddometer: 808
Dirt bloke, can you get multiple headsets off the one unit?

That way all Jaybee's riding mates can tell him to hurry the fuck up lol.
Although we would need to mute his Spicegirls albums and his singing.
__________________
700RR
richo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:58 AM   #9
'Pirate'
'12 Tiger 800XC
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Albury, NSW
Oddometer: 121
I am with Dirt Bloke

I too have a starcom1 advance. Not cheap but suits my needs perfectly.
UHF, phone, GPS, music, pillion, all work well. Only thing I have in addition is a volume control on the 'bars, so I can easily turn the whole thing up when on the open road, or down when not going warp speeds.
Have had phone conversations @ 110km/h, no problems.

As Dirt Bloke says, contact Dale at DMME. couldn't recommend him highly enough.
__________________
_____________
If your bike could tavel at the speed of light, would your headlight still work.....
'Pirate' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:14 AM   #10
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer
 
griffo1962's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Carrara, Qld, Australia
Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Pirate' View Post
I too have a starcom1 advance. Not cheap but suits my needs perfectly.
UHF, phone, GPS, music, pillion, all work well. Only thing I have in addition is a volume control on the 'bars, so I can easily turn the whole thing up when on the open road, or down when not going warp speeds.
Have had phone conversations @ 110km/h, no problems.

As Dirt Bloke says, contact Dale at DMME. couldn't recommend him highly enough.

+1, I have all of the above. talk to Dale..... another happy customer.
__________________

griffo1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:15 AM   #11
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer
 
griffo1962's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Carrara, Qld, Australia
Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_bloke View Post
All parts are cabled to the Starcom unit.
Yellow button next to the horn is the PTT for the UHF.
GPS is a Garmin 660. This does Bluetooth to my mobile phone.
On top of the Triple Clamps is a pouch for my MP3 player. (The Starcom unit mutes this when somebody transmits on the UHF or the GPS barks directions).
why bother with the MP3 player, just load your music onto the 660. that's what I do, 1 less thing to plug in/charge....
__________________

griffo1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:52 AM   #12
Jaybee750 OP
Adventurer
 
Jaybee750's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Eastern Suburbs Mexico (Vic)
Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_bloke View Post
Ok, a couple of years ago I went through the same process.
The system I wanted is exactly what you described.

I did all the research and decided that the Starcom1 unit was what would do the job, however new the system is expensive. Last year before I did the trip out to Birdsville, a system came up on eBay and I purchased it.

This is my current set up:



The Starcom unit is in the jiffy box under the passenger seat (photos from previous post). Speakers and mic are wired into my helmet. Wire to my helmet via a 6 pin plug (see curly cable on screen).

All parts are cabled to the Starcom unit.
Yellow button next to the horn is the PTT for the UHF.
GPS is a Garmin 660. This does Bluetooth to my mobile phone.
On top of the Triple Clamps is a pouch for my MP3 player. (The Starcom unit mutes this when somebody transmits on the UHF or the GPS barks directions).
I also have another heatset connector for my pillion, this was used to good effect when I took Miss Nat for a ride to Bendigo earlier this year.

We could talk to each other, listen to music, talk to others over the UHF, report to the missus on the mobile phone, get instructions from the GPS trying to find our way through Sydney.

The things does what it says it can do.

I looked at all sorts of ways to build something myself, but in the end buying the right gear to do the job was much better.

Good luck.

Awesome perfect. Was getting so confused with it all, particularly around Bluetooth and being told you don't want wires.

Your setup ticks the boxes, thanks for the clarification.
Jaybee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:54 AM   #13
Jaybee750 OP
Adventurer
 
Jaybee750's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Eastern Suburbs Mexico (Vic)
Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffo1962 View Post
why bother with the MP3 player, just load your music onto the 660. that's what I do, 1 less thing to plug in/charge....
Didn't realise I could, hence this not being my area of expertise! Another consideration!!
Jaybee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:55 AM   #14
Jaybee750 OP
Adventurer
 
Jaybee750's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Eastern Suburbs Mexico (Vic)
Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by richo360 View Post
Dirt bloke, can you get multiple headsets off the one unit?

That way all Jaybee's riding mates can tell him to hurry the fuck up lol.
Although we would need to mute his Spicegirls albums and his singing.
With friends like this who needs enemies......

So Richo, tell me what you want what you really really want...
Jaybee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #15
DMME
Old Fart, Older Bike
 
DMME's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Newcastle NSW, ('STRAYIA)
Oddometer: 274
StarCom1 Advance will do it as said above.
One curly to the helmet carries ALL the voices to your head .
The StarCom1 is a WIRED system. The Bluetooth module plugs into it and connects a phone or GPS wirelessly to the system.

Give us a call and I can talk you through
DMME is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014