around with different ideas.
WR450 limited edition headlight 260 bucks
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:55 AM   #5942
Ridden-a-bit
Postie addict

Oddometer: 99
GPS mounting

I have ordered a garmin bar mount and just picked up some TAG fat bars + adaptors. Will add some pictures when put together.

Thanks for all the pictures.

Cheers,

Colin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto
Tinted Eagle screen it works ok and for the other bloke I used a ram mount for the zumo
Ridden-a-bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #5943
MungoP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
If you're as dumb as me

While riding on my own in the SFs I'd often found the bike would stall at inconvenient moments so I jacked up the idle speed. Actually I set it to max as I like to overdo things and via trial and error find the middle ground.

I was coming down a very dry, powdery, rock strewn hill at Jolly Nose nr Bonny Hills south of Port Macquarie. I had managed it previously without drama but this was much dryer and slipperier as a result.

I was using both front and back brakes but having to let them off as they got to slipping point. In fact I wasn't able to control my descent so I thought I'd add some engine braking and whooooosh off we went. Now we're still upright but totally out of my comfort zone with visions of me taking off on one of the erosion mounds and landing half way up a tree.

So I decided to bail out and was heading off into the bush when the bike went down of its own accord on the left side in the gutter . Somehow my right foot finished up jammed under the left Steel Pony pannier.

I walked and slid it down fifty metres or so trying to regain my breath and confidence and eventually got back on board but I couldn't restart the motor. So I went down in neutral figuring I'd sort it out at the bottom of the hill. I did a hill start and I figured everything was alright.

Twenty minutes later I still couldn't start it so I phoned my wife and was explaining everything to her that I'd been doing as I couldn't get the starter motor to turn over. I had already rung her from the top of the hill to let her know how good the view was and that I was pretty lacking in confidence about getting down in one piece. I told her I'd ring from the bottom or not.

I finally mentioned to her about the clutch switch. I'd never used the phrase before. The Bark Busters had done a great job in protecting everything but had jammed up with the clutch not allowing it to be fully depressed to the handle bar grip and it was this last couple of millimetres that was preventing the clutch switch from closing and allowing the starter motor to turn.

The starter motor hasn't turned over on several times on other occasions before and I have never realised that it was the clutch switch that was not closing properly.

So there.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #5944
Wildcard342
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Just did the GSXR muffler mod using Jesses midpipe last night. Really easy to do and I opened the airbox up and Dynojeted the carbie, modded the choke, and put an extended fuel screw in. Used a 160 main jet as Jesse suggests in his instructions for a modded pipe. Put it all back together and it actually started first go. Never took a carbie apart in my life so that was surprising

It definitely has more power but I feel a bit of a hesitation off idle sometimes. What is the normal causes of this. Should I go one lower in the main, the mixture screw is one turn out as per the instructions?

Also did some odds and sods like new grips, IMS tank and bashplate. Just need to dial the carbie in a bit more and should be sweet.
Wildcard342 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #5945
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by MungoP
While riding on my own in the SFs I'd often found the bike would stall at inconvenient moments so I jacked up the idle speed. Actually I set it to max as I like to overdo things and via trial and error find the middle ground.

I was coming down a very dry, powdery, rock strewn hill at Jolly Nose nr Bonny Hills south of Port Macquarie. I had managed it previously without drama but this was much dryer and slipperier as a result.

I was using both front and back brakes but having to let them off as they got to slipping point. In fact I wasn't able to control my descent so I thought I'd add some engine braking and whooooosh off we went. Now we're still upright but totally out of my comfort zone with visions of me taking off on one of the erosion mounds and landing half way up a tree.

So I decided to bail out and was heading off into the bush when the bike went down of its own accord on the left side in the gutter . Somehow my right foot finished up jammed under the left Steel Pony pannier.

I walked and slid it down fifty metres or so trying to regain my breath and confidence and eventually got back on board but I couldn't restart the motor. So I went down in neutral figuring I'd sort it out at the bottom of the hill. I did a hill start and I figured everything was alright.

Twenty minutes later I still couldn't start it so I phoned my wife and was explaining everything to her that I'd been doing as I couldn't get the starter motor to turn over. I had already rung her from the top of the hill to let her know how good the view was and that I was pretty lacking in confidence about getting down in one piece. I told her I'd ring from the bottom or not.

I finally mentioned to her about the clutch switch. I'd never used the phrase before. The Bark Busters had done a great job in protecting everything but had jammed up with the clutch not allowing it to be fully depressed to the handle bar grip and it was this last couple of millimetres that was preventing the clutch switch from closing and allowing the starter motor to turn.

The starter motor hasn't turned over on several times on other occasions before and I have never realised that it was the clutch switch that was not closing properly.

So there.
Disconnect it and the side stand while you're at it

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:34 PM   #5946
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcard342
Just did the GSXR muffler mod using Jesses midpipe last night. Really easy to do and I opened the airbox up and Dynojeted the carbie, modded the choke, and put an extended fuel screw in. Used a 160 main jet as Jesse suggests in his instructions for a modded pipe. Put it all back together and it actually started first go. Never took a carbie apart in my life so that was surprising

It definitely has more power but I feel a bit of a hesitation off idle sometimes. What is the normal causes of this. Should I go one lower in the main, the mixture screw is one turn out as per the instructions?

Also did some odds and sods like new grips, IMS tank and bashplate. Just need to dial the carbie in a bit more and should be sweet.
Mine does the same thing but I don't think it has had the jetting done. Air box has been opened and has a TK pipe. But I get quite a hesitation off idle.
I'll be interested to hear the responses here.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:53 PM   #5947
greendude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,123
Talking

did you try richening up the mixture screw quarter turn
greendude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:00 AM   #5948
Wildcard342
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendude
did you try richening up the mixture screw quarter turn
Yeah, I tried going to one and a quarter, one and a half, still seems to do it and it is sometimes letting out a little puff of blackish smoke. It will sit there and idle smoothly but take it for a ride and it starts missing/ hesitating. Could it be an issue with the needle?
Wildcard342 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:33 AM   #5949
davorallyfan OP
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,060
I got the cee baileys US screen just because there wasnt much else available at the time - it wobbles a bit but works a treat at speeds 100 +
davorallyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:38 AM   #5950
davorallyfan OP
Commonist

Old 12-17-2009, 01:43 AM   #5951
davorallyfan OP
Commonist

6,000 posts 400 pages.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:46 AM   #5952
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan
6,000 posts 400 pages.
And hardly any post about break downs or poor build quality unlike some of the other threads on this forum
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:45 AM   #5953
td42dan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto
WR450 limited edition headlight 260 bucks
Nice looking bike.... the WR headlight does give the DR a more modern look.
Does it throw a good light at night or is it better use for show???
td42dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:47 AM   #5954
td42dan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by plodalong
thats why they make clear ones SFB

I like your screen, could you tell me where you got it from and a price at all??? Thanks
td42dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:21 AM   #5955
Mickldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by td42dan
I like your screen, could you tell me where you got it from and a price at all??? Thanks
Hey Dan, that looks like one of the "Screens for Bikes" ones that was in one of the links in one of the posts I did earlier. All of the contact info and prices were in the link.

Ah stuff it here is the link again for you. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=16103

Ride on, gonna change my evil ways
Ride on, one of these days
One of these days
Mickldo is offline   Reply With Quote