Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2012, 03:09 AM   #11506
Starky14
Yowie Bait

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Ozzy View Post
Forget about noise, noise is for riders with small penis's that think loud pipes makes them go faster and gets them more chicks, cruise around in stealth silent mode dude, the last thing you want to do is 100 decibel your way through the community with everyone pointing and laughing saying there go's another noisy small dicked wonder that thinks his loud bike makes him a man.
I actually agree with the less noise theroy (quiet is good) however, this is bloody too quiet. I don't want a noisey bike either but just a little bit more noise as the roos and brumbies will know I am there.

I don't care about more power - that is not of interest to me.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:10 AM   #11507
Starky14
Yowie Bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy John View Post
Did you get the stealth gray edition?
Nope went for Virgin White to match my VT750S.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:14 AM   #11508
JCat

Oddometer: 379
The bike has to make a bit of noise! If only for other traffic to know you're there.

But dirters have to make a bit of noise, dont have to be obnoxiuos, just a deep meaty thump.... so dont get a Staintune..they sound terrible on DR's imo.

Good mate of mine makes mufflers. Mostly in the past for roadies, business name "Ballistic Mufflers" (in Vic).
I wanted a nice note but not loud, so he made the muffler (straight through) 650 long instead of 450.
The result is a deep meaty growl, plenty of people have commented on how nice it sounds.

If you want a slip on off the internet, the FMF is a good one and cheap.
80 CX500 Brat
JCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:35 AM   #11509
Ridden-a-bit
Postie addict

Oddometer: 99
Seats for the DR.

I need to buy a new seat for my DR. One that will fit with the Safari tank well.

What options are there?

I see Corbin have been very popular over time. Google found ACM Seats and Seargent seats for me but I have not heard much about them.

What do others have that they are really happy with?

Cheers,
Ridden-a-bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:41 AM   #11510
DR Ozzy
Suzuki scum

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starky14 View Post
I actually agree with the less noise theroy (quiet is good) however, this is bloody too quiet. I don't want a noisey bike either but just a little bit more noise as the roos and brumbies will know I am there.

I don't care about more power - that is not of interest to me.

Thats another interesting and unproved theory too, make lots of noise and the critters will just scatter out of your way leaving you perfectly unscathed to carry on with your journey LOL, I'll just go with my own unproved theory if you don't mind, and that is to cruise on through with a wonderfully silenced exhaust system and the animals will just lie under their trees not knowing you're there instead of freaking right out and scattering in all directions when Mr really fucking loud exhaust comes to town and rocks their furry world
DR Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:46 AM   #11511
Sleepy John
Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridden-a-bit View Post
I need to buy a new seat for my DR. One that will fit with the Safari tank well.

What options are there?

I see Corbin have been very popular over time. Google found ACM Seats and Seargent seats for me but I have not heard much about them.

What do others have that they are really happy with?

Cheers,
A few of us did a group buy on these. More than happy.

http://seatconcepts.art.officelive.com/Suzuki.aspx
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Sleepy John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:52 AM   #11512
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
Quote:
Thats another interesting and unproved theory too, make lots of noise and the critters will just scatter out of your way leaving you perfectly unscathed to carry on with your journey LOL, I'll just go with my own unproved theory if you don't mind, and that is to cruise on through with a wonderfully silenced exhaust system and the animals will just lie under their trees not knowing you're there instead of freaking right out and scattering in all directions when Mr really fucking loud exhaust comes to town and rocks their furry world
Years ago out here a lot of blokes were using those shuroo high pitched whistles on their cars, the only ones who reckoned they worked were the silly buggers who bought them. Loud pipes, i'm not convinced either, sometimes there good at scattering other times not. The best prevention is don't ride around before 7am or after 4.30pm, of course most city folk have no concept of what really goes on in the bush, that's why we have the flying doctor.

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:55 AM   #11513
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,825
Quote:
You're fucking kidding yourself if you think an OEM exhaust is enough to not startle the wildlife.

What are you... adventure riding's equivalent of Driving Miss Daisy?

FFS
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:07 AM   #11514
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by outback jack View Post
Years ago out here a lot of blokes were using those shuroo high pitched whistles on their cars, the only ones who reckoned they worked were the silly buggers who bought them. Loud pipes, i'm not convinced either, sometimes there good at scattering other times not. The best prevention is don't ride around before 7am or after 4.30pm, of course most city folk have no concept of what really goes on in the bush, that's why we have the flying doctor.
I have a regular 2am-ish Commute 30 mins or so
On the bike with loud-ish 'cans rarely see anything...off the hwy I usually just chugg along BTW
Take the 'little car' with shoo-roos (probably blocked up by now) fitted & bums & tails are everywhere
Old 03-10-2012, 04:12 AM   #11515
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG. View Post
I have a regular 2am-ish Commute 30 mins or so
On the bike with loud-ish 'cans rarely see anything...off the hwy I usually just chugg along BTW
Take the 'little car' with shoo-roos (probably blocked up by now) fitted & bums & tails are everywhere
Roo's where you are Bandicootes.

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #11516
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,528
Intiminators or Gold Valves?
Old 03-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #11517
lockpoker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilaction View Post
I have intiminators, which i think made a big difference, cant comment on gold valves .
lockpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #11518
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilaction View Post
Depends.
Intiminators go in the front. Gold valves go in the back.

Gold Valve Emulators go in the front.

If you're an old MX'er, go for Emulators. They'll feel like normal modern suspension.

I prefer Intiminators. I don't like brake dive.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #11519
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Gold Valve Emulators go in the front.
That's what I meant.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #11520
Starky14
Yowie Bait

Quote:
What a touchy little subject this is! Let it be said now for the record - I Love Quiet Bikes!!!!!!

My 2006 DR was quiet and mates whinged that they could not here me as I played sweep most times. This was not a problem and I just wrote it off as a joke. Riding for a few months and I noticed a few strange things happen. My mates rode past a fellow leading a horse along the edge of the road. He saw and heard them. I come along and he walks the horse our in front of me. He had no idea I was there. In the forestry, I had two very close encounters with a heard of brumbies. That got the heart going. I then had an offer of a second hand slip on pipe. It was only slightly loader and no more 'special events' happened on that bike.

Following the sale of that DR I ended up with a DRZ400. Now that sucker was load. I actually put baffles back in it and made it far more acceptable. No special event of the close encounter type occurred while I had that bike. I did see a number of roos and brumbies as per usual but I had enough time to back off, not a lot but at least they were not jumping our of the bush right at my side. Now they were at least twenty meters in front of me. Coincidence maybe but it is my arse on the line.

Along comes the 2012 DR650 yesterday and I think it is a hybrid electric bike, it is that quiet. I want a little more noise, not a whole orchard but a little. As I am now convinced that for me and my little dick, I need a slightly loader bike.

I have pulled the snorkel out of the air box and that has made a slight difference to the asthmatic sound it was making. I will live with this for while as I don't want it much loader. Power? Not after that at all