Old 03-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #11551
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,373
T-63

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrant1058 View Post
Hi Mark,

With just over 130,000 km's travelled on a DR I have used most tyre combos. Without a doubt the T63 IMO are the best all round compromise. Grip great on the dirt, on the bitumen they are fantastic, in the rain they are the best I have used, run quieter than most knobbies and get good mileage. Fit into the back no problem at all.

Cheers - Ron.
I'll second that.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:28 AM   #11552
dave43
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Hi Mark,

With just over 130,000 km's travelled on a DR I have used most tyre combos. Without a doubt the T63 IMO are the best all round compromise. Grip great on the dirt, on the bitumen they are fantastic, in the rain they are the best I have used, run quieter than most knobbies and get good mileage. Fit into the back no problem at all.

Cheers - Ron.
G'day Ron,
Have you ever used the MT21 front E07 rear combo? If so, how'd you rate them against the others you have used? With all your km's on the DR I'd be interested in your opinion. I know from this forum that quite a few others apart from myself have them on. I've only used this or MT21's front and rear, so don't have much to compare with.
Cheers,
Old 03-14-2012, 01:19 AM   #11553
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Hi Mark,

Cheers - Ron.
How much is good mileage?
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:24 AM   #11554
grrant1058
Motorcyclist 24/7

Oddometer: 327
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
How much is good mileage?
Aaargh now there is a very subjective question and a real potential "can of worms" opener!

Some people tend to run their tyres far beyond the effective tread limit and then claim they get huge mileage (even though the bike handled poorly and was unsafe to ride those last couple of thousand km's).

So if I say xxxx km's some will roll around the floor laughing how bad that is and others will consider that a pretty fair effort. How hard or careful I ride, the tyre pressures I run and my attitude regarding at what level of wear I replace my tyres are the biggest factor in tyre mileage.

So how many km's do I normally get from Michelin T63? For perspective.....

More than MT21, D606 or the stock Trail Wings.
About the same as a Kenda KT966, Maxxis 6006 or Vee Rubber VRM147 but with better handling.
Less than E07 or Tourance but with better grip on all surfaces and better handling.
Less than Pirelli Scorpion or Michelin Anakee but with better grip off road.

So for my preferred type of riding (daily commute with weekend trail riding and long distance adventure riding plus the odd thrash over Mt Glorious (bitumen)) the tyres that work best for me are the T63 front and rear.

Generally I replace the rear at around 4,000 km's and the front around 10,000 - 12,000 km's. Still plenty of "life" left in the tyres at that point but the bikes grip and handling have begun to deteriorate. As riding is the most fun thing I do, compromising handling thus my safety and riding enjoyment by saving a couple of bucks on tyres doesn't seem like good value to me.

And no I don't work for Michelin.

Cheers, Ron. .
grrant1058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:38 AM   #11555
racca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Ron, you're a bloody legend. Just came across the specials at teammoto and was getting confused again (that happens alot). T63 fitted and balanced for $215 iirc vs $199 for 606's.
racca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #11556
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Aaargh now there is a very subjective question and a real potential "can of worms" opener!

Some people tend to run their tyres far beyond the effective tread limit and then claim they get huge mileage (even though the bike handled poorly and was unsafe to ride those last couple of thousand km's).

So if I say xxxx km's some will roll around the floor laughing how bad that is and others will consider that a pretty fair effort. How hard or careful I ride, the tyre pressures I run and my attitude regarding at what level of wear I replace my tyres are the biggest factor in tyre mileage.

So how many km's do I normally get from Michelin T63? For perspective.....

More than MT21, D606 or the stock Trail Wings.
About the same as a Kenda KT966, Maxxis 6006 or Vee Rubber VRM147 but with better handling.
Less than E07 or Tourance but with better grip on all surfaces and better handling.
Less than Pirelli Scorpion or Michelin Anakee but with better grip off road.

So for my preferred type of riding (daily commute with weekend trail riding and long distance adventure riding plus the odd thrash over Mt Glorious (bitumen)) the tyres that work best for me are the T63 front and rear.

Generally I replace the rear at around 4,000 km's and the front around 10,000 - 12,000 km's. Still plenty of "life" left in the tyres at that point but the bikes grip and handling have begun to deteriorate. As riding is the most fun thing I do, compromising handling thus my safety and riding enjoyment by saving a couple of bucks on tyres doesn't seem like good value to me.

Cheers, Ron. .
Great post !

Bikes are a very poor finacial decision in the first place, trying to get a few thousand extra klms at the expense of both fun and safety is an even poorer financial decision.

What sort of pressures are you running in those T63's for road and offroad and with HD or UHD tubes ?

DR Steve screwed with this post 03-14-2012 at 01:43 PM
DR Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #11557
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Steve View Post
Great post !

Bikes are a very poor finacial decision in the first place, trying to get a few thousand extra klms at the expense of both fun and safety is an even poorer financial decision.

Agree totally. Cop a fair bit of flak for replacing tyres that have "heaps left in them". If you do the maths, those last kms on rooted tyres save you bugger all but massively increase the risk of ending up on your arse.

Was heading down the path of an E07 606 combo but after reading the above am interested in the T63s.
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
fayeslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #11558
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:

Cheers, Ron. .
So does anyone know a good place online to purchase bike tyres. The only site I found is: http://procycles.com.au/products.php...torcycle+Tyres - $149 + $10 postage. Does this seem like a good price??

thanks heaps
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #11559
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

dunlop 605 rear

..........and since we're on the subject of tyres (i know, an endless subject). Has anyone tried dunlop D605 for the rears. Seem like a good all rounder. http://www.dunloptyres.com.au/dotCMS...&mtpcode=80134

thanks once again
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod

Thumper Dan screwed with this post 03-15-2012 at 12:31 AM
Old 03-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #11560
duckslider
decelpoppin

Oddometer: 2,986
Replaced the Trailwings with E07s f+b on my 2010 dr650.Good on road,but no confidence in front tyre at all off road!!Been down several times, in mud,ruts,clay, dirt,wet grass,etc.Need good tyre to improve ridin' skills,so either T63 or 606..............606 f/EO7 b seems popular.

Wash it? It's a workhorse,not a bloody showpony.

duckslider screwed with this post 03-15-2012 at 12:43 AM
duckslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:46 AM   #11561
greendude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr DR650 (2011) View Post
So does anyone know a good place online to purchase bike tyres. The only site I found is: http://procycles.com.au/products.php...torcycle+Tyres - $149 + $10 postage. Does this seem like a good price??

thanks heaps
try
mick@mbct.com.au
located brisbane brendale.seems a good bloke 0738810033

605 were only available in 120width when i used them
for me they dont wear or grip as well as a 606 road or dirt
greendude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:47 AM   #11562
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckslider View Post
Replaced the Trailwings with E07s f+b on my 2010 dr650.Good on road,but no confidence in front tyre at all off road!!Been down several times, in mud,ruts,clay, dirt,wet grass,etc.Need good tyre to improve ridin' skills,so either T63 or 606..............606 f/EO7 b seems popular.
I will be definitely putting D606 on the front, as they would be best off road.........not sure how great on the road but good compromise I suppose, as I want to do more bush bashing (leisurely fire trails maybe ).

Currently 100% on the road.........need to get off the black-top soon.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:50 AM   #11563
racca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Quote:

thanks heaps

http://www.teammoto.com.au/tyre-cent...e-specials.php
racca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:10 AM   #11564
duckslider
decelpoppin

Oddometer: 2,986
Quote:
I will be definitely putting D606 on the front, as they would be best off road.........not sure how great on the road but good compromise I suppose, as I want to do more bush bashing (leisurely fire trails maybe ).

Currently 100% on the road.........need to get off the black-top soon.
G'day Mr DR650.I have been ridin' tar for years,honda cb,yamy xs,ducati ss.Bought a postie,but sick of chokin' on dust when bush bashin' with mates!.....Got a DR!Time to get amongst it,SAFELY!

Wash it? It's a workhorse,not a bloody showpony.
duckslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:44 AM   #11565
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by racca View Post
Mate your in Brisbane, hard to go past Team Moto prices which includes fitting. I buy all mine from the USA but i fit my own, i have no other option price wise.

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote