Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #12196
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDingo View Post
So shoulder to the outside or toward the inside?
If you're using a circlip then shoulder to the inside as it'll float nicely.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #12197
Big Willy
two dementional

Oddometer: 2,096
Is the 520 rear sprocket offset like the 525?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:49 AM   #12198
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Willy View Post
Is the 520 rear sprocket offset like the 525?
Is the 525 rear sprocket offset?
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:22 AM   #12199
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,847
I thought a 525 was a ktm
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:44 AM   #12200
Big Willy
two dementional

Oddometer: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Is the 525 rear sprocket offset?
Yes, towards the wheel
Old 07-09-2012, 02:19 AM   #12201
dobbo
dirt dog

Oddometer: 928
Help: BST40 carb with Flat spot?

Help needed..

Can anyone give me a few things to look at regarding a 'Flat spot' in 1st gear as soon as I apply throttle? (not sure if it happens in other gears) Once the revs pick up all is fine.

Bike Details: 2008 DR650 with the standard BST 40 Carburettor fitted
only mod to carby is the slide has been drilled.

I am not going to fit a different carburettor, cause I am a tight a*rse so where should I make adjustments?

where should I have the needle clip and idle screw located?

thanks
Dobbo
dobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:23 AM   #12202
Spart
DR Crash Brother

Oddometer: 55
2012 rear subframe differences

So it looks like there are some minor differences in the 2012 rear subframe. My old ebay side racks don't fit on the RHS, and the rear Staintune bracket is slightly different. Looks like the rear exhaust mount is shifted inwards ~20mm from previous years.

Anyone know the exact differences?
Spart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:25 AM   #12203
0405canvet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
needles

needle comparison
Here is a comparison between the stock DR needle on the left to the recognised best replacement on the far right which is the Dynojet needle.
The normal (?) progression of crazed DR owners, which is most of us, is to play with the stock carb to get it to run right, almost impossible and then buy a jetting kit for $150 and end up with a very good running stock carb DR.
The stock needle is too lean just off idle, with the stock air box even without the snorkel, to compensate owners all over the world raise the needle (richer) and get rid of most of the off-idle bog at the expense of being rich everywhere else. Drilling the slide makes it move quicker up and down making the bog seem worse. The DJ needle profile eliminates the bog and also severely richness up the half to three-quarter throttle position making it necessary to let in a lot more air by cutting the top of the air box. With careful jetting of the DJ needled DR, most riders are satisfied but you must take the time to experiment with jetting to find what works. My settings are Dj second clip with stock pilot, stock main, drilled slide and cut spring and air box opened up only a little bit!!! This allows me to use the stock jets and retain good fuel milage. Others may have vastly different jetting so you must play!!
Now here is the fun stuff! I am really cheap so I decided to shave the stock needle to get it to run as good as the DJ. The two middle needles in the pic above are stock needles. My bike now runs as good or better than with the DJ needle and with ALL STOCK NEEDLE and JETS! No need to spend any money!! Sceptical?? You should be! So we need some second opinions. Anyone interested in trying my modified slide, spring and needles in their bike just call me. No obligation as your parts will not need to be changed unless you are thrilled then I will exchange or modify your parts for you, free. Do not critisize until you have tried it!! I will not try to sell you any pipes as they are all gone to smart DR owners. PM if interested, I live just west of Samford (Brisbane).
0405canvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #12204
grrant1058
Motorcyclist 24/7

Oddometer: 319
OK then Mr 0405canvet......

First DR I did every jet combo known to man, including replacing needle with a 640 KTM needle. Result = OK but still not perfect.

Second DR fitted a Dynojet kit and then fiddled about to get it spot on. Result = pretty good.

Third DR fitted an FCR carb. Result = Halleleujah brother I have found the holy grail!

Then I rode your DR the other day on the TeamMoto Adventure Ride. Great Scott! I didn't believe it was possible to have a BST run that good. Doesn't quite have the snap of an FCR but your bike is undoubtedly the best carburated DR I have ridden.

Highly recommended.

Ron.
grrant1058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #12205
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,008
Carb

I too chased my tail with the stock BST40. I adapted a FCR needle, shaving it down and drilled the slide etc. Got the Dynojet kit and did some more testing. Still not right. Got a new 39 mm FCR for $250 on eBay, an adaptor ring from MXRob and with the FCR bits in the shed. Leaner than MXRobs specs and its so much better than I could get with the BST its not funny. Sold the BST and jets and needles to an inmate for $100 so net cost was about $250. Gets about 5% worse economy than a totally stock DR on outback runs, and better than any modded ones I've ridden with. Much nicer to ride, no flat spots, and smooooth.

Steve
Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #12206
0405canvet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Thanks 1058. I have since moved pegs, shortened shifter and brake to get similar to your bike. Much better riding position and more control off-road.(the bike not me)
0405canvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #12207
trgbox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
DR 790 kit

Anyone tried the Pro cycles 790 big bore kit for the DR? Just woundering how the transmition would hold with complete kit ....barrel, head and perforance cam shaft. Or would the Je high performance piston 10.5:1 and sports cam suffice. Obviously the latter is cost effective but would the performance be worth while? What would I expect performance wise from each set up.....just looking for a bit more giddy up out of the old girl.

The bike is a 2007 DR with all the suspention modds and a FMF pipe and minor air box work. Goes quite hard.
Second bike is a CRF450X.......maybe I should stop riding it before I take the DR out. LOL

Thx in advance for any feed back.
Trgbox
trgbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #12208
racca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Need new indicators, any of the fleabay ones I should avoid or beware of?
racca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #12209
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by racca View Post

I saw some recently on ebay that would be ideal for the front as they incorporated a white LED daytime running light and the normal amber LED turn signal. Cant help with a link as I didn't save it. They were from the UK from memory.

I saw a bike recently that had some sort of daytime running LED's on the bars and it really stood out from a distance - seemed like an excellent safety feature to me !!

Cheers

Steve
Old 07-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #12210
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by racca View Post
Try Vince Strang he has neat LED type, but you need some different wiring to make them work. It's all listed under his DR section. http://www.vincestrangmotorcycles.com.au/dr650.html

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote