Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #12256
gavo
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedwobble2 View Post
A mates 07 DR650 smokes badly on start up when cold. Fine when hot. Has not done a lot of K's. It does not use oil between changes and has just replaced the valve guide seals to see if that was the problem, it wasn't. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?
does it smoke when decelerating? do a compression test dry then wet
gavo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:09 AM   #12257
speedwobble2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavo View Post
does it smoke when decelerating? do a compression test dry then wet
No smoke on decelerating.
Will get him to try a compression test although it's only done about 8,000 km and aircleaner has always been looked after. New head gasket was used when he did the valve seals.
speedwobble2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:18 AM   #12258
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,782
seriously if it only smokes on cold start up try lowering the oil level a bit.

Will take a ride or two for the smoke to stop after lowering the oil level.

I found just bellow the full mark was plenty any more and it would smoke its head off in the mornings.
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:28 AM   #12259
gavo
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post

I found just bellow the full mark was plenty any more and it would smoke its head off in the mornings.
Thats a good point Joe , I have an 07 and have had no such trouble but you never know, my oil's always around halfway between marks
gavo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:54 AM   #12260
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by woopwoop View Post
The standard tyre size for a DR is a 120/90.

A 130/80 or a 130/90 will of course easily fit and is what most people use.

You occasionally hear of someone squeezing a 140 on there, but I don't know why.

I'd be very doubtful about a 150...I'm pretty sure it's designed for a much wider rim as fitted to bigger bikes.

Do a google search for a recommended tyre size to rim width chart...I've seen a Michelin one for example.

Those T63s might wear out quicker but they are a LOT cheaper than the prices you've mentioned....I just got a front and rear fitted (same sizes as a DR) for $215.00.
Good point and will look around for a another T63 I think. But I've been reading Jay and his thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...556240&page=14 and he seems pretty happy with them.

Anyways, I'll have a look around.
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:56 AM   #12261
Big Willy
two dementional

Oddometer: 2,079
And it could also be carburettor problems...an overly rich mixture whether by a leaking float needle, too much choke or whatever can wash the oil off the bore.

If he gives it a good rev and turns it off before the motor's slowed down, this can also do it (doubt he does this but just thought I'd throw it in there )
Old 07-20-2012, 02:00 AM   #12262
Big Willy
two dementional

Oddometer: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post

Is your ring rooted?

Old 07-20-2012, 04:47 AM   #12263
babalons
Liv'n the dream

Oddometer: 52
90 degree fuel filter

Hey fella's, can anyone advise me if there is anywhere in Syd or Aus that sell the small 90 degree fuel filters ?. I'm after the same as whats on the http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html website. None of my local bike shops sell them. Cheers.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:29 AM   #12264
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by babalons View Post
Hey fella's, can anyone advise me if there is anywhere in Syd or Aus that sell the small 90 degree fuel filters ?. I'm after the same as whats on the http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html website. None of my local bike shops sell them. Cheers.
If you find anyone that has them please post up the details. I have not been able to find any locally, including trying the mower/chainsaw shops.

Don't buy the ProCycle ones - they are 1/4 " ones and dont fit with the 5/16" hoses on the DR. Not sure why they advertise them for DR's.
I emailed to enquire about the sizing, and was told they were 5/16", so ordered them and a few other bits to make it a worthwhile order. Waste of money !

With the IMS tank and FCR carb you can't use a straight filter.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:42 AM   #12265
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Willy View Post
Is your ring rooted?

Too much curry maybe
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:49 AM   #12266
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
I would be interested too! I haven't checked the local shops yet but it doesn't look hopeful I plan to buy a safari tank soon.
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #12267
Portly
Plodder

Oddometer: 244
I too bought the filters from Procycle.
Another one of their products that doesn't do it's job is the replacement secondary breather filter.
I pulled mine off on the weekend while servicing and found dust in the hose and the filter outlet, so i rebuilt the original with some new foam.
Portly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #12268
rowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
I've seen a similar style on the counter of my local Auto1. Visu-filter is the brand that Procycle sells and they are listed on the MCS website: http://www.mcsonline.com.au/index.ph...d=66&Itemid=34 1/4" is the largest size though.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #12269
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
You can use the ProCycle filters, it's just a lot of stuffing around.
I JB welded some 8 mm nylon air hose over the 1/4" barbs to make these filters useable. I'm not sure how the nylon will stand up to fuel over time, but I plan to have something different set up soon.

It was more annoying being told they were in fact 5/16" when they're not.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #12270
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr DR650 (2011) View Post
I posted about this previously and how Suzuki would pay for the noisy choked chicken noise that is coming form the starter motor.

Just went and picked it up and low and behold..............it still does it. The dealer said "well they all do it and its now been officially noted, so if something happens up the track, Suzuki will take care of it! Huh? Apparently they replaced the clutch mechanism in it which obviously isn't it. I thought it was the lack of grease that was in there. Anyway, I'll see how it goes

Mine started doing it at about 10k miles. It stopped when I greased the bearing cups in the starter at 15k miles. It's been quiet for almost 20k miles since (not km's).
Edit: The CCT has to be removed: do your homework and pay attention, done improperly, serious engine damage can be the result, like a broken cam chain. c2c4c has a thread with details in the big DR thread.

Dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portly View Post
I too bought the filters from Procycle.
Another one of their products that doesn't do it's job is the replacement secondary breather filter.
I pulled mine off on the weekend while servicing and found dust in the hose and the filter outlet, so i rebuilt the original with some new foam.
A solution:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=82

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 07-20-2012 at 07:00 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote