Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #12421
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,691
No offence thumper dan but that has to be one of the dumbest statments i've ever seen on advrider

Do you think ktms are put together using black magic or are there dr650 parts and manuals hidden behind every dune in the simpson that I dont know about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
If a KTM breaks down in the middle of the Simpson desert, well I hope you have good mechanical knowledge and plenty of spares but even then that's not a guarantee. If there are issues with the DR I'm sure you'll have more of a chance to get it going again.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:25 AM   #12422
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
No offence taken

Okay, I should clarify............a statement like that is probably showing my newbie status. However, I've just read quite a few ride reports and to be more specific regarding KTM's seem to have issues either with "fuel pumps" breaking down or issues with fuel injection and getting mapping right etc. I'm not picking on KTM's ( I would love to own one) its just what I've and all.

DR650's don't have fuel pumps and fuel injection etc and thus easier to get back up and going: yes/no

Maybe saying have a whole heap of spares with you because one rides a KTM was a sweeping statement but, hey, I can type faster than me brain can thinketh.

Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:34 AM   #12423
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,611
In some ways, the most reliable bike I've ever had has been my FE501 Husaberg. 33,000 kms plus of enduro and mx use, and only the stators are chronic. Once fixed, no more problem. I've had more issues with my DR650 than with my 501, and the older Bergs have a reputation for being a grenade. Of course DR650s have a reputation for being ultra reliable, yet I seem to have broken everything on mine except 3rd gear. Go figure....

BergDonk screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 02:48 AM
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:44 AM   #12424
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
In some ways, the most reliable bike I've ever had has been my FE501 Husaberg. 33,000 kms plus of enduro and mx use, and only the stators are chronic. Once fixed, no more problem. I've had more issues with my DR650 than with my 501, and the older Bergs have a reputation for being a grenade. Of course DR650s have a reputation for being ultra reliabale, yet I seem to have broken everything on mine except 3rd gear. Go figure....
No more trouble with that countershaft seal Steve?Bit odd that!
sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:48 AM   #12425
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack bob View Post
No more trouble with that countershaft seal Steve?Bit odd that!
Nope, did 694 kms today up to Wombeyan Caves for lunch, and all the oil is contained, and the chain doesn't rub on any of my fix

PS, got your twin shocks sorted?
Old 08-22-2012, 03:04 AM   #12426
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,413
Quote:
Nope, did 694 kms today up to Wombeyan Caves for lunch, and all the oil is contained, and the chain doesn't rub on any of my fix

PS, got your twin shocks sorted?
No, but I know where there might be some! You going to be home on Sat or you going to TTT?
sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:23 AM   #12427
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack bob View Post
No, but I know where there might be some! You going to be home on Sat or you going to TTT?
Yep, about here at home Sat
Old 08-22-2012, 06:02 AM   #12428
gavo
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,592
If a KTM breaks down in the middle of the Simpson desert, well I hope you have good mechanical knowledge and plenty of spares but even then that's not a guarantee. If there are issues with the DR I'm sure you'll have more of a chance to get it going again.

Yes, the DR is the 'no frills' bike of the bike world but its still great value for money. [/QUOTE]

I've just been out in the Simpson desert with 2 friends all on DR's only mechanical prob, 2 broken spokes on my rear wheel (I had spares) but point being you shouldn't even be out there unless you or your co riders have good mechanical knowledge, KTM or not
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #12429
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

ah now I see where the confusion has come from.
Your talking about a ktm 690 and realy the 690 isnt a ktm its realy a chinese shunshin bike that has a ktm badge on it I know this because ktm couldnt posibly have built such a shit handaling, ill running, unreliable piece of dog turd.

Long live the suzuki dr650

Down with the shunshin 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
No offence taken

Okay, I should clarify............a statement like that is probably showing my newbie status. However, I've just read quite a few ride reports and to be more specific regarding KTM's seem to have issues either with "fuel pumps" breaking down or issues with fuel injection and getting mapping right etc. I'm not picking on KTM's ( I would love to own one) its just what I've and all.

DR650's don't have fuel pumps and fuel injection etc and thus easier to get back up and going: yes/no

Maybe saying have a whole heap of spares with you because one rides a KTM was a sweeping statement but, hey, I can type faster than me brain can thinketh.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #12430
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

oh and the only thing that has broken and left me stranded on my ktm 520 is the bearing in dr650 cush hub i have fitted.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #12431
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
oh and the only thing that has broken and left me stranded on my ktm 520 is the bearing in dr650 cush hub i have fitted.
was that easy to adapt, joe? 240mm rear disc on the dr so did you get a custom 220mm disc made to suit the kato? from memory both are 20mm rear axles so an easy fit there?

yeah, you can't always assume the DR will be reliable and the katos will constantly break down. my DR developed carbie problems only a month or two off the showroom floor and took ages to work out what the problem was. and it was only two months old when the sidestand safety switch started playing up so had to remove it. then i had a 525EXC with 25000km up that had never had any engine work done or issues but was still going strong when i sold it.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #12432
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,637
Im glad I have a chinese crap handling ill running unreliable piece of dog turd - I love it!
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #12433
Big Willy
two dementional

Oddometer: 2,015
And let's not forget that it's the Japanese that are sabotaging the the 690 with their Keihin fuel injection system

Aaahhhh...it's all making sense now
Old 08-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #12434
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
And remember that KTM purchased Husaberg to find out how to build a 4 stroke dirt bike. The 520 has many similar, and some interchangeable parts with my 501 above the crankcase. And clutch too I think.

Reminds me of the Toyota Camry I got for my kids, good reliable car for learners. New manifolds, throttle body, alternator later. Ohhh, they all do that, but they are the most reliable cars, NOT. I used to break unbreakable ultra reliable Landcruisers routinely too, then swapped to GQ Patrols when they came out about 1988, now they were unbreakable. And my Mazda R100 rotary lasted many many kms, over 200,000 to a set of carbon apex seals. They were supposed to grenade at 10-20,000. Who can you believe, who can you trust?

If its designed and manuafactured by man, and bult to a cost, its fundamentally flawed
Old 08-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #12435
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer: 1,285
Quote:
If its designed and manuafactured by man, and bult to a cost, its fundamentally flawed

And the biggy -owned and maintained by man

A lot of the bagging of bike reliability, tyre life, chain life etc comes back to shit maintenance. I reckon we have all seen some shockers out there.
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
fayeslane is offline   Reply With Quote