Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 02:36 AM   #12481
eRRmmm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiethestarfish View Post
Just signing in. I live in Broken Hill NSW and recently bought a stock 09 dr 650, 14k on the clock for $3200. I thought it was a pretty good price. Have had to spend another 800 so far due to the stator stuffinf up and a few other minor things. I still think i got a good priced bike (??). I am currently having issues with the stupid countershaft seal (has popped out three times). I'm hoping Ill have the problem rectified very soon and then be good to go. I plan on buying a bigger tank, seat upgrade windshield and adding some storage capacity and then good too go.
Bergdonk has worked out a fix for this problem on his bike, search for his posts using something like this in google
bergdonk countershaft seal site:advrider.com

That is a good price on the DR, well done. If you're looking for a ride down Mildura way let me know, I need to get out more... (must get to Cameron's corner this year).
eRRmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:00 AM   #12482
rosiethestarfish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Yeah I want to get up to camerons corner this year also. Sounds like a plan somewhere along the way.
rosiethestarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #12483
Benz-in-Oz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Bearing Noise

I have some bearing noise in my DR, that quietens when the clutch is disengaged, also it has started grinding badly going into gear when hot, it's normal when cold. Does anyone have a clue which bearing is stuffing out here. By the way it's an 08 model 16500kms.
Benz-in-Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #12484
ninja97
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme-in-Oz View Post
I have some bearing noise in my DR, that quietens when the clutch is disengaged, also it has started grinding badly going into gear when hot, it's normal when cold. Does anyone have a clue which bearing is stuffing out here. By the way it's an 08 model 16500kms.
Just a guess and i hope i am wrong but it could be the input shaft bearing, the one behind the clutch, i had a similar problem with mine and it was a complete strip down of the engine. Only real way to check is to take the cover off and see if there is movement in the shaft. Have to admit mine had done 100,000klm,s at the time.
ninja97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #12485
Benz-in-Oz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja97 View Post
Just a guess and i hope i am wrong but it could be the input shaft bearing, the one behind the clutch, i had a similar problem with mine and it was a complete strip down of the engine. Only real way to check is to take the cover off and see if there is movement in the shaft. Have to admit mine had done 100,000klm,s at the time.
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of.
Benz-in-Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #12486
Born-to-ride
GSXR!!!

Oddometer: 85
Took the DR out today for the first time with the FCR carb on. It added heaps of grunt through the range. Idles a bit high. Still need to figure that part out. Excellent mod!!!
Born-to-ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:25 AM   #12487
RAR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Will heavier weight fork oil affect COMPRESSION damping or REBOUND damping or BOTH ? ? ?
RAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:30 AM   #12488
RAR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Also, I`m considering angle grinding the lip inside the rear rim ( the lip that keeps the flat tyre on the bead ) for quicker and easier tyre changing. Will this weaken the rim ? Has anyone done this ?
RAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:41 AM   #12489
usi
Complete kook

Oddometer: 52
I'm looking for options to delete my ignition key switch for something smaller as it interferes with my headlight setup

Ideally it would be half the size and suited for off road conditions, i wouldn't mind still having a key of some description,
Mind you if you have seen some trick sealed on off options i am open for ideas

Throw some makes and models if you can think of anything i should look into
usi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:43 AM   #12490
great southern land
Apprentice

Oddometer: 29
fcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born-to-ride View Post
Took the DR out today for the first time with the FCR carb on. It added heaps of grunt through the range. Idles a bit high. Still need to figure that part out. Excellent mod!!!
i have not long done the same mod think its not to bad better torque through the range
great southern land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:53 AM   #12491
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAR View Post
Will heavier weight fork oil affect COMPRESSION damping or REBOUND damping or BOTH ? ? ?
Both
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:55 AM   #12492
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,023
Quote:
Also, I`m considering angle grinding the lip inside the rear rim ( the lip that keeps the flat tyre on the bead ) for quicker and easier tyre changing. Will this weaken the rim ? Has anyone done this ?
Doubt it and yes to three without issue, if your running low pressure fit a rim lock.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:03 AM   #12493
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
Quote:
I'm pretty sure Rumble did that to his DR and swears by it.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:39 AM   #12494
greendude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:

if you fit racetech emulators you can adjust compression damping on the emulators and rebound damping through your oil weight
greendude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #12495
Big Willy
two dementional

Oddometer: 2,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by usi View Post
I'm looking for options to delete my ignition key switch for something smaller as it interferes with my headlight setup

Ideally it would be half the size and suited for off road conditions, i wouldn't mind still having a key of some description,
Mind you if you have seen some trick sealed on off options i am open for ideas

Throw some makes and models if you can think of anything i should look into
I put a button off a WR450 on mine (they come in the spares kit so should be plenty floating around)
You will need to put a resistor in the circuit or you wont be able to start the bike. I can't remember the ohmage right now but a google should uncover it.
If you put the resistor in some sort of connector, you can then pull the resistor out effectively making it your key.