ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 02:36 AM   #12481
eRRmmm
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Mildura Vic, Aus
Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiethestarfish View Post
Just signing in. I live in Broken Hill NSW and recently bought a stock 09 dr 650, 14k on the clock for $3200. I thought it was a pretty good price. Have had to spend another 800 so far due to the stator stuffinf up and a few other minor things. I still think i got a good priced bike (??). I am currently having issues with the stupid countershaft seal (has popped out three times). I'm hoping Ill have the problem rectified very soon and then be good to go. I plan on buying a bigger tank, seat upgrade windshield and adding some storage capacity and then good too go.
Bergdonk has worked out a fix for this problem on his bike, search for his posts using something like this in google
bergdonk countershaft seal site:advrider.com

That is a good price on the DR, well done. If you're looking for a ride down Mildura way let me know, I need to get out more... (must get to Cameron's corner this year).
eRRmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:00 AM   #12482
rosiethestarfish
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Broken Hill, NSW, Australia
Oddometer: 10
Yeah I want to get up to camerons corner this year also. Sounds like a plan somewhere along the way.
rosiethestarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #12483
Benz-in-Oz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Benz-in-Oz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Murrumbateman NSW
Oddometer: 186
Bearing Noise

I have some bearing noise in my DR, that quietens when the clutch is disengaged, also it has started grinding badly going into gear when hot, it's normal when cold. Does anyone have a clue which bearing is stuffing out here. By the way it's an 08 model 16500kms.
Benz-in-Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #12484
ninja97
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: melbourne,australia
Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme-in-Oz View Post
I have some bearing noise in my DR, that quietens when the clutch is disengaged, also it has started grinding badly going into gear when hot, it's normal when cold. Does anyone have a clue which bearing is stuffing out here. By the way it's an 08 model 16500kms.
Just a guess and i hope i am wrong but it could be the input shaft bearing, the one behind the clutch, i had a similar problem with mine and it was a complete strip down of the engine. Only real way to check is to take the cover off and see if there is movement in the shaft. Have to admit mine had done 100,000klm,s at the time.
ninja97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #12485
Benz-in-Oz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Benz-in-Oz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Murrumbateman NSW
Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja97 View Post
Just a guess and i hope i am wrong but it could be the input shaft bearing, the one behind the clutch, i had a similar problem with mine and it was a complete strip down of the engine. Only real way to check is to take the cover off and see if there is movement in the shaft. Have to admit mine had done 100,000klm,s at the time.
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of.
Benz-in-Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #12486
Born-to-ride
GSXR!!!
 
Born-to-ride's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 85
Took the DR out today for the first time with the FCR carb on. It added heaps of grunt through the range. Idles a bit high. Still need to figure that part out. Excellent mod!!!
Born-to-ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:25 AM   #12487
RAR
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: BRISBANE
Oddometer: 110
Will heavier weight fork oil affect COMPRESSION damping or REBOUND damping or BOTH ? ? ?
RAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:30 AM   #12488
RAR
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: BRISBANE
Oddometer: 110
Also, I`m considering angle grinding the lip inside the rear rim ( the lip that keeps the flat tyre on the bead ) for quicker and easier tyre changing. Will this weaken the rim ? Has anyone done this ?
RAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:41 AM   #12489
usi
Complete kook
 
usi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Sydney, South Coast
Oddometer: 52
I'm looking for options to delete my ignition key switch for something smaller as it interferes with my headlight setup

Ideally it would be half the size and suited for off road conditions, i wouldn't mind still having a key of some description,
Mind you if you have seen some trick sealed on off options i am open for ideas

Throw some makes and models if you can think of anything i should look into
usi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:43 AM   #12490
great southern land
Apprentice
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 29
fcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born-to-ride View Post
Took the DR out today for the first time with the FCR carb on. It added heaps of grunt through the range. Idles a bit high. Still need to figure that part out. Excellent mod!!!
i have not long done the same mod think its not to bad better torque through the range
great southern land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:53 AM   #12491
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer
 
DRjoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Sunshine coast qld
Oddometer: 5,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAR View Post
Will heavier weight fork oil affect COMPRESSION damping or REBOUND damping or BOTH ? ? ?
Both
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:55 AM   #12492
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer
 
DRjoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Sunshine coast qld
Oddometer: 5,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAR View Post
Also, I`m considering angle grinding the lip inside the rear rim ( the lip that keeps the flat tyre on the bead ) for quicker and easier tyre changing. Will this weaken the rim ? Has anyone done this ?
Doubt it and yes to three without issue, if your running low pressure fit a rim lock.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:03 AM   #12493
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hardhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Brisvegas, Northside
Oddometer: 2,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAR View Post
Also, I`m considering angle grinding the lip inside the rear rim ( the lip that keeps the flat tyre on the bead ) for quicker and easier tyre changing. Will this weaken the rim ? Has anyone done this ?
I'm pretty sure Rumble did that to his DR and swears by it.
__________________
You think hiring a professional is expensive, wait until you hire an Amateur!
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:39 AM   #12494
greendude
Beastly Adventurer
 
greendude's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Northside Brisbane. australia
Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAR View Post
Will heavier weight fork oil affect COMPRESSION damping or REBOUND damping or BOTH ? ? ?

if you fit racetech emulators you can adjust compression damping on the emulators and rebound damping through your oil weight
greendude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #12495
Big Willy
two dementional
 
Big Willy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast
Oddometer: 2,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by usi View Post
I'm looking for options to delete my ignition key switch for something smaller as it interferes with my headlight setup

Ideally it would be half the size and suited for off road conditions, i wouldn't mind still having a key of some description,
Mind you if you have seen some trick sealed on off options i am open for ideas

Throw some makes and models if you can think of anything i should look into
I put a button off a WR450 on mine (they come in the spares kit so should be plenty floating around)
You will need to put a resistor in the circuit or you wont be able to start the bike. I can't remember the ohmage right now but a google should uncover it.
If you put the resistor in some sort of connector, you can then pull the resistor out effectively making it your key.
__________________
2012 690R Thoroughbred Racehorse
2010 700 Transalp Donkey
Big Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014