Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 05:13 AM   #12691
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Well here are some pics so you lot can compare that with a standard head to see if it would even fit. Since every part except the head is the same, I would assume so. Same oil lines, cases, cam, cylinder, piston, gearbox, timing chain,.....

LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #12692
DocSuzuki
Wrench = Scalpel

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
do you realy reckon you got any more go out of your bike by polishing your ports?
I dont think i've heard of any tuner that will polish an intake port because of the boundry layer caused.
Joe, I know.

It helps when you have access to another DR (2003 model- 11 thousand k`s).

Before I fixed the base gasket on mine ( and new rings, which was unneeded but copped em anyway ) the `03 had slightly more arse dyno torque than mine. Same gear, same steep hill.

Now, mine will eat the 03 DR everywhere ( and i`m running taller than stock gearing for top gear revs reduction ). Have proper dynosheets for both bikes to back it up.

There`s no way on this earth a new set of rings will do it.

There`s no way a Staintune will do it. (Which both bikes have anyway)

Of course just polishing ports by themselves won`t make a dragster. Neither will an open chamber exhaust being fed by a choked off airbox. Any mods need to be done as a set to really benefit. The port job creates an `edge` over the engine with just jets, pipe and good rings because it`s breathing a little better (read- faster).

You don`t have to believe me, but polishing does help. There`s a bit more info about it on my build thread, which no one seems to write in.... yes, i`m an attention whore!

BTW...WTF is a boundary layer?

Sniffing CCI arsecrack since 1997

DocSuzuki screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 06:33 AM Reason: putting in shameless plug for build thread......>.>
DocSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #12693
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,933
My terminology might be wrong and it might be called something else but a good example of what I mean can be seen when rain and a smooth surface meet at speed.
Next time your driving or riding along in the rain have a look at what the water is doing on the smooth surfaces like your visor, windscreen or bonnet.
The smooth surface creates a layer of air that is slow moving so you'll see that the water is barely creeping along the surface.
Now apparently this is what happens in a polished port, The slow moving air lets the atomised fuel condensate on to the port surface where it then starts to trickle down into the cylinder and because its not atomised it won't burn as well and most of it will end up coming out your exhaust.

A slightly roughened surface stops this happening.

Hopefully some one that knows about it and why it happens will come along and explain it better.

Maybe you've just proved a lot of people wrong or maybe the set of rings you pulled out had never seated properly from new and leaked more than you thought.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #12694
DocSuzuki
Wrench = Scalpel

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
My terminology might be wrong and it might be called something else but a good example of what I mean can be seen when rain and a smooth surface meet at speed.
Next time your driving or riding along in the rain have a look at what the water is doing on the smooth surfaces like your visor, windscreen or bonnet.
The smooth surface creates a layer of air that is slow moving so you'll see that the water is barely creeping along the surface.
Now apparently this is what happens in a polished port, The slow moving air lets the atomised fuel condensate on to the port surface where it then starts to trickle down into the cylinder and because its not atomised it won't burn as well and most of it will end up coming out your exhaust.

Hopefully some one that knows about it and why it happens will come along and explain it better.

Maybe you've just proved a lot of people wrong or maybe the set of rings you pulled out had never seated properly from new and leaked more than you thought.
That is a good and quite valid point.
One that I myself was wondering about when I was doing this. To a certain degree I think this actually does happen, as I have noticed a slight smear of liquid fuel after running the engine and then pulling off the carb and checking the port. (Don`t know if this always occurs regardless)
On the other hand, there is also a valve at the end of it`s journey which is not polished, and also forces a change of direction which is bound to combine to help reatomise it, by which time it`s already in the chamber. I`m sure that phenomenon only occurs on the ports surface. The rest of the port is full of high velocity mix, because the surface is not creating a gutload of turbulence slowing the entire flow down. That is the whole ideal behind polishing, it reduces turbulence increasing velocity. A downside of this would be what you are describing.

In any case, if you check the XR650 thread, I have pics of the inlet ports in question. There is still seams which I didn`t flatten because of time constraints. I could possibly be wasting a bit of fuel, but when you`ve never EVER bothered checking the price on the pump before filling, who gives a shit? (I`m not running a waste of space Landcruiser or V8 Commode) What I do know is I have more grunt than before, and the old rings were sealing, as there wasn`t black shit on the sides of the piston. The piston was quite clean apart from the obvious on the crown.

I`m not an expert hot rodder, just someone who picks up things from people who have done this before, but at the same time keeping an open mind.

Sniffing CCI arsecrack since 1997
DocSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #12695
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSuzuki View Post
And YES! I have worked out multiquote.....time for another beer!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
fwiw: Three is the limit on multi-quotes. If you want more you can open another ADVrider window, multi-quote three more, copy and paste those into the first window: Six guotes, etc, etc, etc.

There's snow on the ground and it's 28* F.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:11 AM   #12696
Tyrepower
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSuzuki View Post
That is a good and quite valid point.
One that I myself was wondering about when I was doing this. To a certain degree I think this actually does happen, as I have noticed a slight smear of liquid fuel after running the engine and then pulling off the carb and checking the port. (Don`t know if this always occurs regardless)
On the other hand, there is also a valve at the end of it`s journey which is not polished, and also forces a change of direction which is bound to combine to help reatomise it, by which time it`s already in the chamber. I`m sure that phenomenon only occurs on the ports surface. The rest of the port is full of high velocity mix, because the surface is not creating a gutload of turbulence slowing the entire flow down. That is the whole ideal behind polishing, it reduces turbulence increasing velocity. A downside of this would be what you are describing.

In any case, if you check the XR650 thread, I have pics of the inlet ports in question. There is still seams which I didn`t flatten because of time constraints. I could possibly be wasting a bit of fuel, but when you`ve never EVER bothered checking the price on the pump before filling, who gives a shit? (I`m not running a waste of space Landcruiser or V8 Commode) What I do know is I have more grunt than before, and the old rings were sealing, as there wasn`t black shit on the sides of the piston. The piston was quite clean apart from the obvious on the crown.

I`m not an expert hot rodder, just someone who picks up things from people who have done this before, but at the same time keeping an open mind.
That's why golf balls have dimples!! The dimples trap a layer of air which then has less resistance than if it was smooth and causing the air to "stick". Try it! get some wet and dry sand paper, sand out most of the dimples and give it a hit. Won't go anywhere near as far. Not that it matters to me. I could hit a Baseball and still only make it to the lady's Tee. And then it would be a slice!!! But that's why I ride bikes, and not waste a good walk by trying to play>

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my bikes for what I "told her" they cost!!!

It's all good fun until someone gets hurt......... then it's hilarious!!!
Tyrepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #12697
Tasmag
?

Oddometer: 15
GSXR Mid pipe

Was wondering if anyone new of an aus source for the TB mid pipe for the GSXR can on the DR650?

regards
Tasmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #12698
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmag View Post
Was wondering if anyone new of an aus source for the TB mid pipe for the GSXR can on the DR650? regards
no help to you but the motorobike exhaust professionals at slacks creek in brisbane will make one up and fit it for $150. might be worth checking if there's a similar shop in tassie? problem is they'll need your bike and the pipe to work out the bends so it would need to be within riding distance.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #12699
Tasmag
?

Oddometer: 15
Thanks B1

Will investigate the custom option.

And while I am here does anyone know of a wide front tyre for the DR, I was told of one by a fellow DR rider in Renmark earlier in the year. I think he said it was a michelin sand tyre that would just fit.

Currently running the mt21 but would like something wider on the front.

Mike
Tasmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #12700
gavo
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,742
Quote:

I had a mate years ago who raced a mini with a much modified 1100 motor He pulled the head and hand polished the ports to a mirror finish ( did I say how anal he was), anyway after one meeting he removed the head and binned it, the verdict was not enough turbulence and the fuel was not atomizing properly. This was the only new mod on a well sorted head. He also raced bikes and was a very smart fella
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #12701
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
BST40 Dynojet question

I've just acquired another DR, this one has the stock BST fitted with fully opened airbox, Cycleworks pipe and a dynojet kit fitted.

It idles fine but has the hugest bog just as you come off idle. Whats that usually a sign of? I'm guessing the pilot jet is wrong but I don't know whether it would be too rich or too lean.
This bog also exhibits itself in higher gears at certain speeds, e.g. 3rd at about 60km/h and 4th at about 80km/h.

I'm not sure what jets are in it or the needle position yet but I'm planning on opening it up over the next few days. I have the remainder of the dynojet kit which has a DJ150 jet left in it and 155 & 170 jets though I'm not sure if they are DJ or stock jets.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #12702
loxsmith
Good ol days my arse

Oddometer: 414
I think the Cheng Shin 3.25/3.50 - 21 is the widest I have seen

More info here http://issuu.com/mcleod/docs/chengsh...owFlipBtn=true

Glen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmag View Post
Thanks B1

Will investigate the custom option.

And while I am here does anyone know of a wide front tyre for the DR, I was told of one by a fellow DR rider in Renmark earlier in the year. I think he said it was a michelin sand tyre that would just fit.

Currently running the mt21 but would like something wider on the front.

Mike
Old 11-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #12703
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
I've just acquired another DR, this one has the stock BST fitted with fully opened airbox, Cycleworks pipe and a dynojet kit fitted.
It idles fine but has the hugest bog just as you come off idle. Whats that usually a sign of? I'm guessing the pilot jet is wrong but I don't know whether it would be too rich or too lean.
before messing around with jets, might be worth looking at the choke... it's just a plastic bolt (?!) that screws into the carby body. i think i remember reading somewhere that they can get a bit sticky, or previous owners might strip the thread etc and create issues. not sure if that would create the bogs you are getting but worth checking the easy stuff like this first.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #12704
Gee1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
[QUOTE=Eddieb;20132495]I've just acquired another DR, this one has the stock BST fitted with fully opened airbox, Cycleworks pipe and a dynojet kit fitted.

This bog also exhibits itself in higher gears at certain speeds, e.g. 3rd at about 60km/h and 4th at about 80km/h.

I had the same problem when setting up my DR. Try mucking around with the air mixture screw. Very small adjustments can make all the difference.
G1
Gee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #12705
0405canvet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
jetting

Good advise from B1, even if he rides a bike with the engine backwards! My experience with the DJ needle is that most people run the needle too rich.Try the middle clip position first. I have even run the second clip position when the weather is really hot. Mixture screw should be around 1 3/4 plus or minus 1/4 turn. Stock pilot is #40 and may be partially plugged so clean or replace. Good luck!
0405canvet is offline   Reply With Quote