ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 01:42 AM   #12961
gavo
Slacker
 
gavo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Gympie QLD
Oddometer: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1 View Post
Yeah, I will be unpackin the thing and I'll try it again another day. It's pissin rain here now and I'm enjoying whisky, so we'll see what develops
Bugger the bike! good whisky?
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:56 AM   #12962
Gee1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Tallegalla Tavern, QLD
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavo View Post
Bugger the bike! good whisky?

Nothin special, but I found a bottle of JW red in the back o the cupboard and it would have to been there for more than a few years now...
Gee1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:06 AM   #12963
philth
philth
 
philth's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: bald knob
Oddometer: 5,959
sounds like hard facing?
maybe drop the oil and check it for steel
__________________
i must not post hairy buttocks
philth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:14 AM   #12964
Gee1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Tallegalla Tavern, QLD
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post
sounds like hard facing?
maybe drop the oil and check it for steel

Yeh, G'day phil, i'll be goin through all that. The oil had been changed very recently and has been changed quite regularly over time and there has never been any sign of metal in the filter or the magnety thingy. One thing that has become more evident lately is that there is a bit of clutch slip goin on. But that noise and stuff is there well before any opportunity of the clutch to slip. So we'll keep lookin'
Gee1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:25 AM   #12965
Sleepy John
Grumpy Adventurer
 
Sleepy John's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Bris Vegas, Australia
Oddometer: 3,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1 View Post
Yeh, G'day phil, i'll be goin through all that. The oil had been changed very recently and has been changed quite regularly over time and there has never been any sign of metal in the filter or the magnety thingy. One thing that has become more evident lately is that there is a bit of clutch slip goin on. But that noise and stuff is there well before any opportunity of the clutch to slip. So we'll keep lookin'
What oil are you using?
__________________
Sleepy John
'10 R1200GSA Big Pig, '10 DR650SE Piglet
Don't shoot... It's only me!
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Sleepy John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:38 AM   #12966
Gee1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Tallegalla Tavern, QLD
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy John View Post
What oil are you using?

I've been using Castrol Activ 4T. Nothing special but changed often. The bike has got over 30ks on it and it has done some hard yards so I can expect that there may well be some worn parts in there somewhere. Just lookin for what I might be lookin for
Gee1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:25 AM   #12967
slapper
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Adelaide
Oddometer: 83
vibration - 520 rear sprocket?

A little while back I grabbed a 44 tooth rear from Vince Strang based on the blurb "use the original 525 chain". The DR has just on 13,000 km on it with what looks like the original sprockets and chain.
Shortly after I noticed a pretty decent vibration in the bike under power ... after fruitless chasing through engne miunts, exhaust mounts, different exhaust all together, possible cracked subframe etc I reckon I've narrowed it down to the sprocket - measuring the width, it looks like it's a 520, not a 525. I'll know for sure tomorrow whenI ride to work but ...

I've heard of using a 520 on the back with the 525 chain and front sprocket (I didn't really want to try it out though) and was wondering who has actually done it and whether any problems have surfaced ... particularly vibration :)

cheers - I'll update after riding tomorrow ...
Slapper

slapper screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 04:31 AM
slapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #12968
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapper View Post
I've heard of using a 520 on the back with the 525 chain and front sprocket (I didn't really want to try it out though) and was wondering who has actually done it and whether any problems have surfaced ... particularly vibration :)
That was the setup Vince used for the Safari on the DR's.

Was a little more vibey on mine but only until I changed to a full 520 setup 18,000km later.
__________________
DR650 Wiki
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #12969
grrant1058
Motorcyclist 24/7
 
grrant1058's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Oddometer: 325
Did you adjust the chain when you loaded the bike up? Might be worth doing a recheck to ensure it is not one click too tight.

How is your cush drive bearing and how is your upper chain roller condition?
grrant1058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #12970
Gee1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Tallegalla Tavern, QLD
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrant1058 View Post
Did you adjust the chain when you loaded the bike up? Might be worth doing a recheck to ensure it is not one click too tight.

How is your cush drive bearing and how is your upper chain roller condition?

I will recheck the chain tension but all bearings are in good nick. Only just had that all apart to make sure. This should be noticeable in all gears I would have thought
Gee1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #12971
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer
 
BergDonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Snowy Mountains Oz
Oddometer: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1 View Post
I will recheck the chain tension but all bearings are in good nick. Only just had that all apart to make sure. This should be noticeable in all gears I would have thought
What about throttle setting, same in all gears, but only noise in 5th? If you are accelerating in the lower gears and not cruising it can mask a driveline noise. If so, does seem like a gear issue. What about when backing off?
__________________
shed time IS quality time
BergDonk's DR650 BergDonk's XT1200Z
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #12972
slapper
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Adelaide
Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapper View Post
cheers - I'll update after riding tomorrow ...Slapper
well ... it's still there but not enough that I'd have especially noticed it.
so .. looks like the 520 rear exacerbates it and I'll either have to live with it, the stock rear sprocket, or go 520 all around. I really don't want to pay to go 520 all around ... there's millions of km's left in the 525 sprockets and chains. I hate replacing anything unless it's worn out :)

bugga!

I'll put the 44 back on and see how I feel. It was vibration bad enough for me to feel that there was something wrong but maybe, now that I've paid closer attention of how it behaves stock, I'll be happier.

cheers
slapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #12973
Gee1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Tallegalla Tavern, QLD
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
What about throttle setting, same in all gears, but only noise in 5th? If you are accelerating in the lower gears and not cruising it can mask a driveline noise. If so, does seem like a gear issue. What about when backing off?

No noise on overrun, Nothing too out of the ordinary in other gears, just fifth. A small amount of throttle or a fist ful makes noises. Tried higher and lower revs and makes noises relevant to engine speed and load.
Gee1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #12974
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer
 
BergDonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Snowy Mountains Oz
Oddometer: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post
sounds like hard facing?
maybe drop the oil and check it for steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1 View Post
No noise on overrun, Nothing too out of the ordinary in other gears, just fifth. A small amount of throttle or a fist ful makes noises. Tried higher and lower revs and makes noises relevant to engine speed and load.
Unfortunately might be what Phil said,
__________________
shed time IS quality time
BergDonk's DR650 BergDonk's XT1200Z
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #12975
dave43
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: West Aus - Southwest
Oddometer: 236
520 44t rear sprocket

I've heard of using a 520 on the back with the 525 chain and front sprocket (I didn't really want to try it out though) and was wondering who has actually done it and whether any problems have surfaced ... particularly vibration :)

cheers - I'll update after riding tomorrow ...
Slapper[/QUOTE]

I have that setup for the last 12,000kms and all good. I intend to keep it that way as I've never noticed any change in vibes and put a new chain on at the same time.
__________________
Dave
dave43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014