ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 02:42 AM   #13111
RAR
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: BRISBANE
Oddometer: 110
Hello NAZ
Sorry to hear you've broken your fingers an am unable to ride.

I am a 5ft nothing woman rider and being so short and after going through quite a few specs of bikes that would suit my size and adventures. I bought a 2013 XT 250, the key to me buying this bike was the fuel injection I get approx 350Klms out of a 9.8 litre tank, the seat height, ground clearance and weight of the bike is fantastic. The power of it I can't complain about either I keep up with our friends 400's and 650's. The bike has all the modern technology on it, the thing that put me off buying it to start with was it's not a very sexy looking bike but it handles and rides fantastically on the road and dirt especially for a little 250.
I have owned in the past a TTR 230 registered and wasn't a real fan of it due to the Drum brakes and it felt quite heavy as well, also I've had a 225 serow (a long long time ago).

I love this little bike and wouldn't swap it for anything, maybe have a look see at the XT when your considering another one. They retail for $6700.


Cheers Allison
RAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:46 AM   #13112
rutsthematter
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rutsthematter's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Drouin, Gippsland
Oddometer: 146
FYI VSM have CS retainers for sale.
rutsthematter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #13113
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer
 
BergDonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Snowy Mountains Oz
Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutsthematter View Post
FYI VSM have CS retainers for sale.


Looks the biz, buy one!
__________________
shed time IS quality time
BergDonk's DR650 BergDonk's XT1200Z
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:50 AM   #13114
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer
 
DRjoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Sunshine coast qld
Oddometer: 5,013
Nicely done
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:41 AM   #13115
CCCC
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Pilbara, Western Australia
Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
It's a regular occurence for an air bubble to live in the fuel filter. With a plastic filter, it's visible. Since the fuel lobes are so low on the Safari tanks (IMS and Acerbis too), fuel has to run up hill to get in the carb, it's also common for an aftermarket tank to have trouble getting the last of the fuel out of the tank. Just because the fuel level is above the loop, doesn't mean it will flow through it. Some installations work, some don't. So if her tank is getting toward reserve, fill it up and try it.

You said it's only a few months old, is it a current year? The pilot jet may be getting plugged, it's a very tiny opening. There's also a tiny fuel filter in the inlet tube of the BST, it might be full of plastic tank bits.

The filter is pretty snug, I used a dull shop knife to get it out.






The up hill loop on mine (Acerbis 5.3, but you get the idea).


Pilot Jet:
Thanks guys for all the info. These pictures helped heaps. Not sure what fixed it as I tried a few things including turning the inlet pipe on the carby but no more pinging and popping.
Cheers CCCC
CCCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:54 AM   #13116
CCCC
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Pilbara, Western Australia
Oddometer: 282
Time to do the NSU screws????

Well after sorting a few small things with the help of you guys I finally took of for a ride from Broome to do a bit of the Gibb river road, tunnel creek etc.
Things sometimes are just not meant to happen.
We arrived to find most of the roads closed(checked and told they would be open) then my wifes DR starts having the neutral light working sometimes then not other times.

Checked wiring plugs and globe looks OK........could it be the NSU screws coming loose. BIkes only two months old with only 1600km on the clock. Tell me I dont have to pull it apart yet...really want to do the screws on next service but I guess Im dreaming now

CCCC
CCCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:55 AM   #13117
Benz-in-Oz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Benz-in-Oz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Murrumbateman NSW
Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutsthematter View Post
FYI VSM have CS retainers for sale.
Just fitted one, Genuine Suzuki Part Too.
__________________
Graeme

The journey is the reward.
Benz-in-Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #13118
Sleepy John
Grumpy Adventurer
 
Sleepy John's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Bris Vegas, Australia
Oddometer: 3,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCC View Post
Well after sorting a few small things with the help of you guys I finally took of for a ride from Broome to do a bit of the Gibb river road, tunnel creek etc.
Things sometimes are just not meant to happen.
We arrived to find most of the roads closed(checked and told they would be open) then my wifes DR starts having the neutral light working sometimes then not other times.

Checked wiring plugs and globe looks OK........could it be the NSU screws coming loose. BIkes only two months old with only 1600km on the clock. Tell me I dont have to pull it apart yet...really want to do the screws on next service but I guess Im dreaming now

CCCC
Straight back to the dealer!
__________________
Sleepy John
'10 R1200GSA Big Pig, '10 DR650SE Piglet
Don't shoot... It's only me!
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Sleepy John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #13119
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer
 
BergDonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Snowy Mountains Oz
Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCC View Post
...................could it be the NSU screws coming loose. BIkes only two months old with only 1600km on the clock. Tell me I dont have to pull it apart yet...really want to do the screws on next service but I guess Im dreaming now

CCCC
Could be, and if it is and you keep using it, and a screw gets munched up....................

Warranty job.

As it happens, I did the NSU screws on a mate's DR yesterday. He'd been putting it off. 2010 model with 20,000 kms. Phillips head and were nice and snug. Replaced them with Allen heads, drilled and lockwired anyway. The clutch cover gasket came off clean with the cover, because he had a new gasket in case it didn't. We also fitted a new lock washer to the clutch because he wanted too, but the original would have recycled fine. I now have it as a spare for me. Laying the bike over on the lhs to get rid of the oil, takes about an hour all up. He was also concerned about clutch wear because he reckons he'd hard on the clutch. The plates all measured up like new, some even a bit thicker.
__________________
shed time IS quality time
BergDonk's DR650 BergDonk's XT1200Z
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #13120
CCCC
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Pilbara, Western Australia
Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy John View Post
Straight back to the dealer!
I thought about taking it to the dealer but the light is working again, I think it only stops working after a long ride, well thats the only time wife has told me about it. I live up north WA, only dealer is 600km away. Dealer I brought it from is 1640km away.
I thinking I'll pop the cover off and check whats going on.
Maybe....still undecided on what to do.

CCCC
CCCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #13121
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer
 
BergDonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Snowy Mountains Oz
Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCC View Post
I thought about taking it to the dealer but the light is working again, I think it only stops working after a long ride, well thats the only time wife has told me about it. I live up north WA, only dealer is 600km away. Dealer I brought it from is 1640km away.
I thinking I'll pop the cover off and check whats going on.
Maybe....still undecided on what to do.

CCCC
How about ring them and tell them that you plan to pull the cover and check it out.Then they are in the loop and should understand why you are doing it, and that its not a 'technical' job as such with plenty of guidance out on the net..
__________________
shed time IS quality time
BergDonk's DR650 BergDonk's XT1200Z
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #13122
KIZ
Marty
 
KIZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Gawler South Australia
Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Could be, and if it is and you keep using it, and a screw gets munched up....................

Warranty job.

As it happens, I did the NSU screws on a mate's DR yesterday. He'd been putting it off. 2010 model with 20,000 kms. Phillips head and were nice and snug. Replaced them with Allen heads, drilled and lockwired anyway. The clutch cover gasket came off clean with the cover, because he had a new gasket in case it didn't. We also fitted a new lock washer to the clutch because he wanted too, but the original would have recycled fine. I now have it as a spare for me. Laying the bike over on the lhs to get rid of the oil, takes about an hour all up. He was also concerned about clutch wear because he reckons he'd hard on the clutch. The plates all measured up like new, some even a bit thicker.
Hi Berg can the NSU switch screw be replaced without removeing the clutch basket,(maybe puller required) or can it be done with just taking off the side cover. Ta Marty.
KIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #13123
CCCC
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Pilbara, Western Australia
Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
How about ring them and tell them that you plan to pull the cover and check it out.Then they are in the loop and should understand why you are doing it, and that its not a 'technical' job as such with plenty of guidance out on the net..
Really wanted to strip it down and have a look today. Good advise I'll call the dealer tomorrow and let him know the plan. Might helpif I need warranty at some stage latter on.

Cheers
CCCC
CCCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #13124
Sleepy John
Grumpy Adventurer
 
Sleepy John's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Bris Vegas, Australia
Oddometer: 3,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIZ View Post
Hi Berg can the NSU switch screw be replaced without removeing the clutch basket,(maybe puller required) or can it be done with just taking off the side cover. Ta Marty.
Google dr650 nsu fix. Plenty of info clutch out or clutch in; your choice.
__________________
Sleepy John
'10 R1200GSA Big Pig, '10 DR650SE Piglet
Don't shoot... It's only me!
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Sleepy John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:30 AM   #13125
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy John View Post
Google dr650 nsu fix. Plenty of info clutch out or clutch in; your choice.
Here's a good start. Don't let the length of the post scare you, there are several different ideas of doing the same thing.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=15
__________________
2004 DR650: 62,400 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014