User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #13231
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 1,354
It's all been said before

The DR is not everyone's cup of tea. Those who are, and those who think they are, Cyril D in the Dakar or whatever can go and buy the latest from KT-MW-varn-aha. Those realists of us, who know their limitations in both riding and mechanical ability are happy to buy and ride a bike with history of the longest model runs, pretty damned good reliability and eternally modifiable from a daily commuter to a motard to an adventure, dare I say legend.

There are those of MB fame who always seem to come back to it even though they have ridden some pretty formidable bikes. This speaks volumes and I know there some who like baiting others but at least we are out enjoying it.

"Steps down of soapbox"
Old 05-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #13232
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,155
well said. i've enjoyed plenty of adventure rides on an FE570 for the past year but it's been great to be back on a DR again. i can understand why some would hate it but there are plenty of us who appreciate certain aspects of what is widely regarded as the world's best bike.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #13233
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
well said. i've enjoyed plenty of adventure rides on an FE570 for the past year but it's been great to be back on a DR again. i can understand why some would hate it but there are plenty of us who appreciate certain aspects of what is widely regarded as the world's best bike.
Awesome vid!
Old 05-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #13234
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post

Awesome vid!
cheers. the DR will do most things the berg will, just a bit slower and a bit of fear doesn't hurt either.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:17 AM   #13235
KIZ
Marty

Oddometer: 471
The technology of the DR does at least make it possible for a home mechanic like me with 2 left thumbs to work on it, so I can afford to ride it more often . Thanks to advice given on ADV and from friends with DRs.
KIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #13236
DR Ozzy
Suzuki scum

Oddometer: 608
Hey Kiz, after our ride on Sunday I lost the side cover, forgot to do it up after we stopped at the Rocks, so anyway yesterday arvo I decided to take a drive out to look for it, I sort of narrowed the area down a bit from when I last stopped and just hoped it was on a transport section, anyway I'm driving along thinking I'm crazy I'm never going to find it but f#ck me dead after 70 K's of driving I eventually did, it was sitting right in the middle of the road behind Stockport
DR Ozzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:45 AM   #13237
KIZ
Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Ozzy View Post
Hey Kiz, after our ride on Sunday I lost the side cover, forgot to do it up after we stopped at the Rocks, so anyway yesterday arvo I decided to take a drive out to look for it, I sort of narrowed the area down a bit from when I last stopped and just hoped it was on a transport section, anyway I'm driving along thinking I'm crazy I'm never going to find it but f#ck me dead after 70 K's of driving I eventually did, it was sitting right in the middle of the road behind Stockport
It took a while to fall off then, glad you found it or you would be blameing me. I dont think their cheap. Although my problem turned out to be a risistant connection to the motor, (thats why the anderson plug jumper didn't work)I bought a new battery anyway. There was a ride report to KI, a DR rider lost a side cover on. Not too hard to do then. See ya

Marty
Old 05-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #13238
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,215
I see Eagle Screens have had a price reduction. A mate of mine is looking at one for his new DR.

Anyone used one of their new style with that upturned lip on the top?

What height (300, 360 or 400mm) should someone 170cm be looking at? Standard bars etc.

Any feedback appreciated.
woopwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #13239
DR Ozzy
Suzuki scum

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIZ View Post
It took a while to fall off then, glad you found it or you would be blameing me

Marty
Haha its not your fault I'm a forgetful knucklehead , looks like rain this weekend so it will be even slipperyer out there, fancy another lap
DR Ozzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:34 AM   #13240
KIZ
Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Ozzy View Post
looks like rain this weekend so it will be even slipperyer out there, fancy another lap
Was going to do the Neutral Switch Unit screws and clutch spring upgrade, then get bike ready for the long weekend (Farina SA Rangers) But don't loose the map.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:53 AM   #13241
Canary
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by woopwoop View Post
I see Eagle Screens have had a price reduction. A mate of mine is looking at one for his new DR.

Anyone used one of their new style with that upturned lip on the top?

What height (300, 360 or 400mm) should someone 170cm be looking at? Standard bars etc.

Any feedback appreciated.
I am 169cm tall and have a Screens for bikes screen and Renthal Jimmy Button bars and don't have any problems with buffeting on my DR650. Not sure if the standard Screens for bikes screen height is the same as the Eagle screens.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:10 AM   #13242
rowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Noticed this on my daily ebay crawl. This seller found a solution to not owning a flywheel puller

www.ebay.com.au/itm/221232129873
Old 05-30-2013, 06:01 AM   #13243
duckslider
decelpoppin

Oddometer: 2,907
Anyone usin' a Shinko 244 on rear of DR?...........if so whatcha reckon?
Old 05-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #13244
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,597
never ride someone elses bike

Every time I do I think theirs is better than mine and I end up changing bikes=$.

Possibly the last time I rode someone else's bike it was a DR650 and compared to my DRZ400, it felt funny/different/not confidence inspiring, BUT had I ridden for a few hours on it I would have adapted to it and thought it was fine.

BTW I thought my DRZ400 felt funny/different/not confidence inspiring after swapping from a Yamaha WRF290.

Yes I have spent time and $ to get the DRZ400 how I like it and it still won't outhandle a KTM450 (& it never will either) but it sure is versatile now. Funny thing is some blokes spend many $ on their KTM's trying to improve on standard too!

Long live the DR: it shakes, it handles like an old trail bike (cause it is one) and it weighs a lot. Which bike did Philth choose to do the East- West crossing on again? I think the KTM's made it half way.

Eagle Scereen 40 cm. you can always move it down a bit if you want less wind protection.
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #13245
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckslider View Post
Anyone usin' a Shinko 244 on rear of DR?...........if so whatcha reckon?
Cheap and slidey.
If you steer with the throttle, you'll love it.