User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #13261
duckslider
unintentionaldrifter

Oddometer: 2,691
anyone used a kenda k270 rear on dr650.
Wash it? It's a workhorse,not a bloody showpony.
duckslider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:36 AM   #13262
Starky14
Yowie Bait

Oddometer: 242
Removing the rear shock

Howdy all,
I am in the process of ripping out the rear shock to put a heavier spring on. What are the tricks to getting it out? I have heard of people doing it in a few minutes but I am not that mechanically minded.

Do the dog bones have to come off or can I just drop the linkage from the single bolt at the rear of the motor? Undo the two bolts holding the actual shock and slip it out or am I going to have pull half the bike apart?

Advice appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-06-2013, 02:30 AM   #13263
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,767
I pull the air box out and then the shock comes out nice and easy.
Doesn't take long to pull the airbox out.

DRjoe screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 02:22 AM
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:02 AM   #13264
Fulldeck
noob

Oddometer: 114
Removing the rear shock

Hey Starky14,

I'm doing the exact same thing at the moment - sent my rear shock to Vince Strang for some revalving and a heavier spring.
It will probably help if you can take the weight off the rear wheel so the swing arm can drop down - I have used a bike lifting jack.
Take off the seat, took off the fuel tank (only because replacing with an acerbis - but it does give you a bit more room), remove the airbox bolts - 3 of them, disconnect the rubber boot between airbox and carb, remove the crankcase breather hose that attaches to the airbox, move the wiring out of the way and get the airbox out on the left side of the bike. Once that is done remove the upper and lower shock bolts and take the shock out through the top.
I'm certainly not experienced and this only took about 15 minutes.
Hope this helps
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” (Mark Twain)
Fulldeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:08 AM   #13265
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulldeck View Post
Hey Starky14,

I'm doing the exact same thing at the moment - sent my rear shock to Vince Strang for some revalving and a heavier spring.
It will probably help if you can take the weight off the rear wheel so the swing arm can drop down - I have used a bike lifting jack.
Take off the seat, took off the fuel tank (only because replacing with an acerbis - but it does give you a bit more room), remove the airbox bolts - 3 of them, disconnect the rubber boot between airbox and carb, remove the crankcase breather hose that attaches to the airbox, move the wiring out of the way and get the airbox out on the left side of the bike. Once that is done remove the upper and lower shock bolts and take the shock out through the top.
I'm certainly not experienced and this only took about 15 minutes.
Hope this helps
Ditto on that! When I replaced mine for the Mojave, it seemed quite simple, even when pulling the airbox out believing it was going to be tight fit getting it out and back in. But reasonably straight foward. The new shock was easier on the install.

Take your time and lift that rear wheel to take the pressure off of the shock.
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:12 AM   #13266
rutsthematter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starky14 View Post
Do the dog bones have to come off
While you have the shock out pull the swingarm off if the bike if it has been used off road and check/regrease all the bearings and axles then tighten to the correct torque. Its not that difficult and you and your bike will be better off for the experience.
rutsthematter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:31 AM   #13267
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutsthematter View Post
While you have the shock out pull the swingarm off if the bike if it has been used off road and check/regrease all the bearings and axles then tighten to the correct torque. Its not that difficult and you and your bike will be better off for the experience.
I've been meaning to do this. Are there any tricks on pulling the bearings out........I read the roller bearings can be finicky to get out and back in (maybe I'm thinking of something else)???

Anyway, I will read up on it before I do it.

Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #13268
rutsthematter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
Are there any tricks on pulling the bearings out
If the roller bearings are ok which they should be dont remove them just remove the dust seal and inner race and wipe out dirty grease/repack with grease. Pack as much grease as you can between the dust seal and bearings. Be careful that the needle rollers dont fall out. Take note of how it came appart (washers etc) as the fishe is wrong. There are 3 bearings in the cushion lever and 2 in the swingarm.
rutsthematter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #13269
wheelruts
aka speedbump

Oddometer: 96
Hey B1 some vid tips for ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
that's how i felt when i sold my last one. thankfully got another one now and went for a spin around o405canvet's backyard yesterday. some awesome single track and hill climbs, both our DRs were spinning and slipping around on 50/50 tyres so we popped out to mt mee state forest for some easier stuff.

I'm sure you could rig this up on the DR mothership.

https://vimeo.com/59410466#at=0

Check out this vid

wheelruts screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 12:04 AM
wheelruts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:11 AM   #13270
Starky14
Yowie Bait

Oddometer: 242
Thanks for all your advice. The spring is now swapped over. I only have to put the airbox back in tomorrow and go for a test ride. Pretty easy when you know how. Thanks heaps fellas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starky14 View Post
Howdy all,
I am in the process of ripping out the rear shock to put a heavier spring on. What are the tricks to getting it out? I have heard of people doing it in a few minutes but I am not that mechanically minded.

Do the dog bones have to come off or can I just drop the linkage from the single bolt at the rear of the motor? Undo the two bolts holding the actual shock and slip it out or am I going to have pull half the bike apart?

Advice appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #13271
Born-to-ride
GSXR!!!

Oddometer: 61
Installed intiminators in the forks. Filled up with 5W. Tightened the back spring to max hight. Installed steel braded brake hoses and installed footpeg lowering kit. Tuned up the FCR and gave it a ull service. Took the beasty for a ride this morning. Awesome ride. The bike has transformed!!!! Will never look back
Born-to-ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #13272
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIZ View Post
Have you done the same with the swing arm? even harder to pull apart to grease (even harder to put together). I noticed my sons DRZ has swing arm nipple standard.
No, I haven't, but did my FJR linkage pivots when I owned it.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #13273
felixblack1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
I'm looking for a replacement clutch and came across one at f1moto. Has anyone installed this replacement clutch?
http://www.f1moto.com.au/buy/suzuki-...11/C11SU250008
felixblack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #13274
CCCC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Tyres

Hi Guys

I guess this question has been asked heap but here goes anyway.
I'm doing a trip in August from Derby WA to Hells Gates Qld return via mostly dirt. Rough trip will be Gibb river - Duncan - Buntine butting to Daly - Barkly stock route roper river then return leg. 4600km in 12 days.
I'm currently running pirelli MT21 front and rear. I find them ok but the front is fairly loose. (bike has had suspension etc done).
What would you recommend and what sort of KM do you think I will get out of them. We will be fully loaded with camping gear etc but wont be wringing the bikes neck......well not to much
CCCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #13275
panhead_pete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCC View Post
Hi Guys

I guess this question has been asked heap but here goes anyway.
I'm doing a trip in August from Derby WA to Hells Gates Qld return via mostly dirt. Rough trip will be Gibb river - Duncan - Buntine butting to Daly - Barkly stock route roper river then return leg. 4600km in 12 days.
I'm currently running pirelli MT21 front and rear. I find them ok but the front is fairly loose. (bike has had suspension etc done).
What would you recommend and what sort of KM do you think I will get out of them. We will be fully loaded with camping gear etc but wont be wringing the bikes neck......well not to much
I have a Mitas E09 Dakar on the back of mine and I like it. Have just fitted a 606 to the front and it felt fine doing 1500km on the bitumen, will be even better on the dirt I imagine. Had a nail or similar go through the Mitas and changing the tube didnt present any additional probs to any other tyre.