ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #13291
XRman
Beastly Adventurer
 
XRman's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: SW Victoria
Oddometer: 2,286
yes but

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavo View Post
Make one out of steel, they last a lot longer
I found that the aluminium strut bent easily and obstructed the mudguard.

I made up a steel strut but I made a slot rather than a bolt hole so in case of a sideways blow which might strip the bolt hole in the tank.

It worked OK in a serious crash or two with the Safari tank taking a big hit.
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #13292
0405canvet
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: brisbanish
Oddometer: 261
Tyres

Can't fault 606 on the front. I have turned it around three times to even the wear and will get 10,000kms. Back 606 at 3000k's was gone, at 3500k's you couldn't tell where the centre knobs used to be. Am very dissappointed in expensive K60 Heidenau at 4000k, already starting to tear the knobs and at least half worn. Maybe from trying to keep up with B1!!
0405canvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #13293
CCCC
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Pilbara, Western Australia
Oddometer: 227
Tyres & Fuel

Well thanks for the info on the tyres. I'm going to carry a spare rear just to be sure.
Next thing Fuel......Biggest leg between fuel stops is 621km next biggest is 559km. The bike has a 30 safari tank. Having not done these distances remebering the bike is fully loaded(big bloke & lots of gear) but we can be gentle with the right wrist and need to maintain about 100kph speed. How many KM do you thing the tank is good for.
I have turned the Carby inlet to use as much in the tanks as possible.

Will do a shakedown trip to work it out but would like to here everyone opinion!!.
Cheers
CCCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #13294
panhead_pete
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 883
Have to check my gearing but think its 15/46 and at 100km/hr I get 20km/L loaded at 120km/hr it falls to 15km/L. If it was me I'd be carrying at least 5 litres extra for those distances. Possibly 10L. Also 5L of water. I am pretty new to this though and a bit conservative. Also check on the times fuel is available at those spots...
__________________
All the gear and no idea.
panhead_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:38 AM   #13295
KIZ
Marty
 
KIZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Gawler South Australia
Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0405canvet View Post
Can't fault 606 on the front. I have turned it around three times to even the wear and will get 10,000kms. Back 606 at 3000k's was gone, at 3500k's you couldn't tell where the centre knobs used to be. Am very dissappointed in expensive K60 Heidenau at 4000k, already starting to tear the knobs and at least half worn. Maybe from trying to keep up with B1!!
At Pooncarie last year one of the sidecar riders got pinged by vicpol on the way for a tyre fitted on the rim with the arrow in the wrong direction.
KIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #13296
DR Ozzy
Suzuki scum
 
DR Ozzy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide
Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIZ View Post
At Pooncarie last year one of the sidecar riders got pinged by vicpol on the way for a tyre fitted on the rim with the arrow in the wrong direction.

Was he going above and beyond the call of duty or what?
DR Ozzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #13297
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Australia, Northern NSW
Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIZ View Post
At Pooncarie last year one of the sidecar riders got pinged by vicpol on the way for a tyre fitted on the rim with the arrow in the wrong direction.
I've heard Vic Police are pretty strict and have zero percentage margins on their speeding; 1km over and you can be booked!!

But this is just over-the-top police tactics and turns people off visiting, I'm sure, a great state.
__________________
Currently riding DR650 (2011)
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:14 AM   #13298
KIZ
Marty
 
KIZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Gawler South Australia
Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
I've heard Vic Police are pretty strict and have zero percentage margins on their speeding; 1km over and you can be booked!!

But this is just over-the-top police tactics and turns people off visiting, I'm sure, a great state.
Visiting next weekend................. Murray Sunset... and later in the year the high country... I'll have to watch the speedo... National Parks,, 40k? gee the front wheel of the DR won't float on the sand ,be digging in. Least I won't get done for tyres.
KIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #13299
CCCC
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Pilbara, Western Australia
Oddometer: 227
Here we go again

Hi guys

I know......another bloody question but I'm lost in all the great info on this site.
Now have tyres sorted for this trip now a quaestion about balancing. I plan to change tyres out in the scrub but want to know if I need to balance them.
I can not see any easy way to balance them out bush.
Whats you thoughts or ideas?

Thanks Heaps

CCCC screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 09:05 PM
CCCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #13300
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCC View Post
Hi guys

I know......another bloody question but I'm lost in all the great info on this site.
Now have tyres sorted for this trip now a quaestion about balancing. I plan to change tyres out in the scrub but want to know if I need to balance them.
I can not see any easy way to balance them out bush.
Whats you thoughts or ideas?

Thanks Heaps
I'd be inclined to get the wheels balanced without tyres.
The tyres aren't going to be much out and the speeds aren't going to be that high.

If you're going to run rim locks, definitely balance the wheels with them mounted.

Or just don't worry about it.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #13301
CCCC
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Pilbara, Western Australia
Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
I'd be inclined to get the wheels balanced without tyres.
The tyres aren't going to be much out and the speeds aren't going to be that high.

If you're going to run rim locks, definitely balance the wheels with them mounted.

Or just don't worry about it.

Cheers

Rim locks front and rear. Will they be OK to not balance?

CCCC
CCCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #13302
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCC View Post
Cheers

Rim locks front and rear. Will they be OK to not balance?

CCCC
Weigh the rim locks and add the same amount of lead opposite.
__________________
DR650 Wiki
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:38 AM   #13303
live4daride
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Katoomba
Oddometer: 129
I have previously worked at a Honda dealership.
We hardly ever balanced dirt bike wheels, unless specifically asked. Its quite hard once you have rim locks fitted and the results usually aren't noticeable.

Slower road bikes like cb 250s we usually wouldn't balance either.
It's generally only when you're doing over 120kph that you feel the vibration from non balanced wheels.

I've personally had non balanced wheels at well over that speed continuously and would not consider it unsafe.

If you're worried that vibration might promote wear on your bearing, I think you'll find the abuse that wheels cop during off road riding is more severe.
As a scientific experiment it might wear a little quicker, but at around $13 a bearing, and how often they get replaced over youre riding life, I would say, "dont worry about it, you'll be fine"
Hope this helps
__________________
"too wet around here, we're gonna wimp out, and save it for a more suitable day. Think I'll go have a coffee and talk about what an adventurous rider i am!! "
TDM 900, Bonneville, Jawa 897 Speedway, WR250f
live4daride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:44 AM   #13304
CCCC
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Pilbara, Western Australia
Oddometer: 227
Thanks for the replys guys. Was thinking along the line of not balancing in the bush but getting something to balance them at home.
Anyone know a good Balancer I can buy?

CCCC

CCCC screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 02:52 AM
CCCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:48 AM   #13305
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by live4daride View Post
I have previously worked at a Honda dealership.
We hardly ever balanced dirt bike wheels, unless specifically asked. Its quite hard once you have rim locks fitted and the results usually aren't noticeable.

Slower road bikes like cb 250s we usually wouldn't balance either.
It's generally only when you're doing over 120kph that you feel the vibration from non balanced wheels.

I've personally had non balanced wheels at well over that speed continuously and would not consider it unsafe.
100kph on the road with an unbalanced rim lock and you'll wish you'd balanced it.

The vibes through the bars can be horrendous.
__________________
DR650 Wiki
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014