Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #13381
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapper View Post
Anyhoo .. completely by chance, I stumbled across a GSXR600 muffler (X35F1X) for $20 :) The TK pipe I have is nice but, realistically, too loud for my domestic arrangements - I thought I heard somewhere that someone Aus based was making mid-pipes for the GSX pipe, but I'm stuffed if I can find anything anywhere using my powers of search. Does anyone have any ideas? Even just the 4 bolt flange would be nice so I can line it all up without the mid pipe, take it to a shop and say "please join this bit to that bit ... and here's a flange for the muffler" :)

cheers,
Slapper
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
I got the flange and gaskets from Keintech. Took about a week. As its all hidden behind the sidecover you could use some mild steel and so what if it looks a bit rough? You'll be the only one who knows, and us when you post the pics. But I decided to make mine all from Stainless, and had none suitable in stock, hence the Keintech option.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=464
Note that the mid-pipe is supposed to pass thru the flange, into the muffler; something to do with the gasket needing a surface to squish against: 15mm maybe ??

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #13382
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Note that the mid-pipe is supposed to pass thru the flange, into the muffler; something to do with the gasket needing a surface to squish against: 15mm maybe ??
The flange will squish the midpipe no worries. The pipe going through is, I assume, (a trap I know!) to get the pulse past the gasket and taking some pressure/heat off it. Not sure its necessary, but easy to do, and makes the arguably welding easier too.

The gasket arrangement is very similar to the head/pipe junction. Mine seems to be working fine with the smaller bore midpipe .
Old 07-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #13383
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,459

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #13384
Starky14
Yowie Bait

Oddometer: 242
0405canvet - this inmate did my midpipe and supplied the muffler and a very fine job at that. Very pleased. Send hime a PM. I believe he is now on the Sunny Coast.

Quote:
jolly good - 520 chain conversion with new sprockets all done. Finished up getting the chain on special from Torpedo7 and the sprockets from chaingang - 'cos I was already buying a rear from them, it wasn't worth getting thefron from anywhere else. As it turns out, I stuffed up and didn't order the *actual* chaingang rear (got a bog standard supersprox)as I wasn't paying attention. Oh well, I'll got the proper ChainGang rear next time.
I had to file the holes on the sprocket retainer for front cog - so it looks like it's the same measurements as the JT one (0.5mm difference from the 525 item).
The harshness through the drive train is better, but not gone completely - I guess this is just what DR650's do :)

Anyhoo .. completely by chance, I stumbled across a GSXR600 muffler (X35F1X) for $20 :) The TK pipe I have is nice but, realistically, too loud for my domestic arrangements - I thought I heard somewhere that someone Aus based was making mid-pipes for the GSX pipe, but I'm stuffed if I can find anything anywhere using my powers of search. Does anyone have any ideas? Even just the 4 bolt flange would be nice so I can line it all up without the mid pipe, take it to a shop and say "please join this bit to that bit ... and here's a flange for the muffler" :)

cheers,
Slapper
Old 07-30-2013, 01:55 AM   #13385
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,276
Quote:
jolly good - 520 chain conversion with new sprockets all done. Finished up getting the chain on special from Torpedo7 and the sprockets from chaingang - 'cos I was already buying a rear from them, it wasn't worth getting thefron from anywhere else. As it turns out, I stuffed up and didn't order the *actual* chaingang rear (got a bog standard supersprox)as I wasn't paying attention. Oh well, I'll got the proper ChainGang rear next time.
I had to file the holes on the sprocket retainer for front cog - so it looks like it's the same measurements as the JT one (0.5mm difference from the 525 item).
The harshness through the drive train is better, but not gone completely - I guess this is just what DR650's do :)

cheers,
Slapper
I made up my own from some stainless steel 90 degree offcuts from a local engineering shop that were playing around making handrails. So happens that it was exactly the same dimensions as standard midpipe. I worked out the angles and cut them then took to engineering shop to have welded together with section cutoff from the the original muffler to include mount. Home made muffler bracket and had a Stainless steel flange laser cut to suit standard midpipe with the help of a fellow ADVer in Melbourne (EDIT) (see pattern in following photos to suit standard size midpipe and GSXR 1000 muffler. I then bolted all up to the bike with flange loose on the midpipe and took back into to shop to have flange welded in place.Works great.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."

kezzajohnson screwed with this post 07-30-2013 at 03:29 AM
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:02 AM   #13386
0405canvet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Flange

Hey Kezza what did it cost to get the flange laser cut??
0405canvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:21 AM   #13387
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0405canvet View Post
Hey Kezza what did it cost to get the flange laser cut??
A fellow ADVer (macdesign) and DR owner from Melbourne (sorry I said Brissy in my original post but he is in Melbourne) helped me out with a flange and he made up this diagram with measurements for me in case I could get one made locally, but that didn't eventuate, so he had a flange made up for me from stainless steel for $50.00 AUS and sent to me in Darwin (where I was residing at the time).

I am not even sure if he is around on ADV anymore.

He did at the time have the spare material and pattern ready to go and therefore had mine made up for me quite cheaply by the following contact:

Aaron Chambers
Aztech Cutting Services

Ph: 8339 0516
Fax: 8339 0531
Mob: 0419 895 820
30/283 Rex Rd,
Campbellfield 3061

Might be worth giving them a ring to see what they can do in case they have it on file.

Note -the centre hole is sized for the standard diameter midpipe, so you may need to adjust depending on midpipe used. This is for the 40FI Titanium 01/02 GSXR1000 muffler.

Cheers

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #13388
DR650OZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Found my GSXR titanium a bit loud for my liking so purchased this baffle which at 41mm is a perfect fit

Also cut down the popping on decel a bit

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EXHAUST-S...item3377d8af6c

Quote:

cheers,
Slapper
DR650OZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #13389
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
spare rear

How hard is it to locate a spare rear rim/wheel. I put new Mitas E07 on and it doesn't go very good in the mud at all (I ended up dropping bike in mud and had to call on mate to help me lift the heavy beast up - but that's another story )

So anyway, if I had a spare wheel I could throw the knobby on and head out bush with a bit more confidence. But I'm guessing these are going to be rare has hens teeth. Any ideas.
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #13390
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Try http://findapart.com.au/
Old 08-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #13391
panhead_pete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
If you are going to buy another grab a 18" HEAPS more tyre choices.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #13392
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_pete View Post
If you are going to buy another grab a 18" HEAPS more tyre choices.

But what sort of 18" wheel will fit the DR650........DRZ400??
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #13393
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
But what sort of 18" wheel will fit the DR650........DRZ400??
DR350 apparently, but may have narrower rims like 2.15 instead of 2.50.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #13394
The Monty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104

Hi guys, new member here.

27 year old from brisbane, and grew up riding in the forest on my KX60. I then had a break for a few years. Bought a CBF200 that I wrote off (low speed, no injury) jumped on a motard DRZ400E for a while, but then needed a newbie so had a look around, rode a few bikes and came up with a DR650se. 2012, 4000km, looks to be in good condition. Has 30L safari tank, BarkBusters, BandB bash plate, Ventura racks and bags, tinted screen, and soon to also have FMF exhaust, dyno jet jet kit, and airbox mod.

Few pics:

Ill get used to it and start doing a few day trips. I would love to set up and plan to go out to Camerons Corner next year sometime.

Josh
The Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:46 AM   #13395
french horn
Just Add venture

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCC View Post
Hi Guys

Has anyone put tank bags on a DR650 with a 30L safari tank(pics would be great).
Want to carry some light but bulky gear up front due to having full panniers & swag on the back . I have some large Rolie Bags so fitted them up. They look big but dont have much weight.
What do you think? Are they too big?

Great idea, I've been think'n of something along these lines BUT .... I'm concerned about going too wide ... ADR's limit width of a m/cycle to 1meter disregarding mirrors..... so I haven't looked around much as yet ... if your setup is less than 1m packed, please post here.

cheers
french horn is online now   Reply With Quote