ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #13396
CCCC
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Pilbara, Western Australia
Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by french horn View Post
Great idea, I've been think'n of something along these lines BUT .... I'm concerned about going too wide ... ADR's limit width of a m/cycle to 1meter disregarding mirrors..... so I haven't looked around much as yet ... if your setup is less than 1m packed, please post here.

cheers
Just measured in the dark.....93cm. They are stuffed full as we are heading off on a trip tomorrow
CCCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:52 AM   #13397
Lupine128
That's MR Band Aid!
 
Lupine128's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Brisbane Australia
Oddometer: 941
I'm about to graft a DRz400 front end onto my DR.
I'm running a safari tank and I weigh around 100kg.
I'm wondering if anyone else has done this with a similar setup.
Mostly what I'm looking for is the approximate spring rate I should be looking at. I'll redo the stack myself but I'd like a starting point for the spring so I don't end up with half a dozen different ones.
Anyone?
__________________
http://lupineandboogowandering.blogspot.com

Dropped from full Team F5 sponsorship due to family commitments.
Stupid family.
Lupine128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:57 AM   #13398
B1
Carbon-based bipedal
 
B1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Arse-trailer
Oddometer: 3,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine128 View Post
\Mostly what I'm looking for is the approximate spring rate I should be looking at. I'll redo the stack myself but I'd like a starting point for the spring so I don't end up with half a dozen different ones.
Anyone?
maybe around 0.5 as a rough starting point. i'm 93kg without riding gear and that's worked very nicely. just the standard tank though, could probably beef them up a tad if using a massive tank.
__________________
Sure we trials riders have smaller knobs but we know how to use them - get into trials here
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #13399
gavo
Slacker
 
gavo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Gympie QLD
Oddometer: 1,697
I agree with B1 maybe even a wee bit heavier
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #13400
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer
 
DRjoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Sunshine coast qld
Oddometer: 4,837
I've got a drz front end on my dr but I can't remember what the spring weight is I do know there springs to suit the 48mm wp forks, Mpe did the job years ago.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #13401
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NEW ZEALAND
Oddometer: 1,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine128 View Post
I'm about to graft a DRz400 front end onto my DR.
I'm running a safari tank and I weigh around 100kg.
I'm wondering if anyone else has done this with a similar setup.
Mostly what I'm looking for is the approximate spring rate I should be looking at. I'll redo the stack myself but I'd like a starting point for the spring so I don't end up with half a dozen different ones.
Anyone?
I've got 0.48s in mine, if I remember right 0.43 is stock. I find the 0.48 fine, a good compromise. Don't want to be to stiff as the fuel load lightens.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #13402
Big Willy
two dementional
 
Big Willy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: In Limp Mode
Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine128 View Post
I'm about to graft a DRz400 front end onto my DR.
I'm running a safari tank and I weigh around 100kg.
I'm wondering if anyone else has done this with a similar setup.
Mostly what I'm looking for is the approximate spring rate I should be looking at. I'll redo the stack myself but I'd like a starting point for the spring so I don't end up with half a dozen different ones.
Anyone?
Pick me

I was about 87kg when I had the DRZ forks on mine. I had .52s in them. Safari tank and the works.

MPE allowed me to try .49s and .52s

So I reckon the .52 would be a good starting point for you and if they're no good, I'll take them off your hands
__________________
2012 690R Thoroughbred Racehorse
2010 700 Transalp Donkey
Big Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #13403
Big Willy
two dementional
 
Big Willy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: In Limp Mode
Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
I've got a drz front end on my dr but I can't remember what the spring weight is I do know there springs to suit the 48mm wp forks, Mpe did the job years ago.
Well that's not a lot of help is it?

__________________
2012 690R Thoroughbred Racehorse
2010 700 Transalp Donkey
Big Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #13404
B1
Carbon-based bipedal
 
B1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Arse-trailer
Oddometer: 3,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
if I remember right 0.43 is stock. I find the 0.48 fine, a good compromise. Don't want to be to stiff as the fuel load lightens.
correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the stock springs are only 0.4. then they are also dual rate so the first bit of the spring is a very light 0.38 or thereabouts. part of the problem with the stock spring is that the softer rate applies for quite a bit of the spring, hence the problem with too much static sag when stock.
__________________
Sure we trials riders have smaller knobs but we know how to use them - get into trials here
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #13405
CaptainFur
Adventurer
 
CaptainFur's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Geelong, Australia
Oddometer: 17
Swap Fork/Shock Springs

Hi all,

My DR has Technik 0.6 and 9.0 springs on it and is way over sprung for me. Has anyone with an under sprung bike (not standard springs - I also already have those) want to do a swap?
__________________
2005 DR650
1974 DT100A
1969 Ural M63
CaptainFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #13406
B1
Carbon-based bipedal
 
B1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Arse-trailer
Oddometer: 3,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFur View Post
Hi all,

My DR has Technik 0.6 and 9.0 springs on it and is way over sprung for me. Has anyone with an under sprung bike (not standard springs - I also already have those) want to do a swap?
you could always drop one stock fork spring in one side to bring yourself to an effective rate of 0.5. a suspension shop gave me 0.6 springs and they barely moved until jumping the DR hard. a mate of mine used to work on suspension for racers for years, he said to try substituting the stock spring on one side.

i was very dubious, thinking for sure it would stress the axle and/or triple clamps. spoke to another suspension shop and they said sure, go for it. anyway, went ahead and it's perfect. done some jumps and fairly gnarly high speed riding and the forks haven't cracked or fallen off (yet).
__________________
Sure we trials riders have smaller knobs but we know how to use them - get into trials here
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #13407
wheelruts
aka speedbump
 
wheelruts's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Narangba
Oddometer: 100
I knew it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
you could always drop one stock fork spring in one side to bring yourself to an effective rate of 0.5. a suspension shop gave me 0.6 springs and they barely moved until jumping the DR hard. a mate of mine used to work on suspension for racers for years, he said to try substituting the stock spring on one side.

i was very dubious, thinking for sure it would stress the axle and/or triple clamps. spoke to another suspension shop and they said sure, go for it. anyway, went ahead and it's perfect. done some jumps and fairly gnarly high speed riding and the forks haven't cracked or fallen off (yet).

Every time you went hurtling past me, showering me in dust and gravel.
I always said to myself "there's something wrong with his setup".
wheelruts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:47 AM   #13408
RideAlongAtlas1
IS GOOD ! ! !
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by french horn View Post
Great idea, I've been think'n of something along these lines BUT .... I'm concerned about going too wide ... ADR's limit width of a m/cycle to 1meter disregarding mirrors..... so I haven't looked around much as yet ... if your setup is less than 1m packed, please post here.

cheers
Hmm a Safari Tank actually looks quite cool on a white dr.
__________________
See my DR650 motovlog here https://www.youtube.com/ridealongatlas
RideAlongAtlas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:00 AM   #13409
NZSHAKER
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Brisbane Northside
Oddometer: 75
Mine has

Front has 0.52 springs and Rear has 9.0 spring which was set up by the PO and he was saying set up for 110kg rider.

I do need a bit hard spring rates as I may or may not ok am be larger than that

I have 30 ltr tank as well....poor poor DR
NZSHAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #13410
french horn
Just Add venture
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Bundaberg Qld. Australia
Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCC View Post
Just measured in the dark.....93cm. They are stuffed full as we are heading off on a trip tomorrow
Thanks for that CCCC, reckon I'll be looking for those bags.
french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014