ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #13456
KIZ
Marty
 
KIZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Gawler South Australia
Oddometer: 430
[QUOTE=CaptainFur;22291518]Hi All, Heading to Tassie with some friends and after some new tyres. Will have touring bikes with us so will be mainly on tar and good dirt/gravel. So after something with good dry/wet grip on the tar and will handle secondary dirt roads OK.

Thinking mainly Mitas E07 or Pirelli MT90AT - how do they compare? Or possibly Shinko 705, Kenda 751? Any recommendations?[/QUOTE

They put Trailwings on standard for that type of rideing. Used them on a trip to PI and in the rain was held up by the guys on sports bikes in the twisties. I like E07's for their longevity on long dirt/bich rides up to 14k.
KIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #13457
B1
Carbon-based bipedal
 
B1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Arse-trailer
Oddometer: 2,958
i'd agree. much as we like to bitch about the stock deathwings they should suit the riding you describe, if you still have them fitted. given how fast they wear out, they should actually grip quite well on road.

i'm a big fan of the E07 rear, i get 6000km which is triple what i'd get with the trailwing or typical D606 etc. a lot of riders pair it with the MT21 on front which is still quite good on the road but grips nicely on the dirt roads - good insurance to stop that front end washing out. just one opinion but you'll probably find its one of the most popular combinations used when there's a fair bit of bitumen involved - at least for DR650s.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #13458
CaptainFur
Adventurer
 
CaptainFur's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Geelong, Australia
Oddometer: 10
Thanks for that. I've currently still got a E09 on the back (close to worn out) and a Scorpion Rally on the front (heaps of tread) from a Birdsville trip and will use the front again when required but will replace both with something more road oriented for the Tassie trip.
__________________
2005 DR650
1974 DT100A
1969 Ural M63
CaptainFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #13459
backtodirt
Gnarly Adventurer
 
backtodirt's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Lilyfield, sydney, australia
Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFur View Post
Thanks for that. I've currently still got a E09 on the back (close to worn out) and a Scorpion Rally on the front (heaps of tread) from a Birdsville trip and will use the front again when required but will replace both with something more road oriented for the Tassie trip.
Mitas' do seem popular but have not used them myself. I have 606's front and rear and like them, my favourite for what you are talking about is a mefo explorer I keep my 4000 k mefo in the garage and swap it over when doing tar/firetrails it his probably still got 70% left but I do ride like Ewan McGregor....
__________________
Jeremy
'08 DR650 (bushpig), '04 Zx10r (green meanie)
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.
backtodirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:51 AM   #13460
The Cougar
Barry Dawson's Twin
 
The Cougar's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Limestone Coast S.A.
Oddometer: 413
IMS fuel petcock

My IMS fuel petcock has developed quite a leak. Source tells me the IMS supplied ones are not much chop and suggested a Yamaha Raptor one may fit.

Any advise re a suitable replacement for the IMS tank petcock?

thanks
The Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:58 AM   #13461
gavo
Slacker
 
gavo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Gympie QLD
Oddometer: 1,674
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:42 AM   #13462
bushdog89
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Marlo
Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cougar View Post
My IMS fuel petcock has developed quite a leak. Source tells me the IMS supplied ones are not much chop and suggested a Yamaha Raptor one may fit.

Any advise re a suitable replacement for the IMS tank petcock?

thanks
Had the same problem with my safari tank. I called them up and told me the rubber seals were european made, where fuel is apparently better. They then sent me some new seals (apparently) made of a different rubber. So far they have lasted longer than the original and no leaks. I don't know about the raptor petcock, I did buy a brand new yamaha petcock off ebay for $19 (tap facing backwards) It was a ripper.
bushdog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #13463
B1
Carbon-based bipedal
 
B1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Arse-trailer
Oddometer: 2,958
yep, if you check the procycle website you'll see they are selling that yamaha fuel tap there so it works on the DR tank or aftermarket tanks fine. it won't be vacuum-operated of course, so you'll need to plug up your vacuum hose with a suitably sized bolt.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #13464
willows
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Grafton, NSW. Australia
Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFur View Post
Hi All, Heading to Tassie with some friends and after some new tyres. Will have touring bikes with us so will be mainly on tar and good dirt/gravel. So after something with good dry/wet grip on the tar and will handle secondary dirt roads OK.

Thinking mainly Mitas E07 or Pirelli MT90AT - how do they compare? Or possibly Shinko 705, Kenda 751? Any recommendations?
Pirelli Scorpion Trail front and trailwing rear..... Once had a pair of Mitas 7's on a Transalp. Excellent on the dirt, loose gravel, sand and even a little mud. Worked well on dry tar, but shocking on wet! That particular ride put me off Mitas forever. Now use Heinenou.
__________________
2005 KLR650
willows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:23 AM   #13465
paynebrody
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
paynebrody's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Clifton Hill, Vic, Australia
Oddometer: 36
Hi all

Just checking in from Clifton Hill (and the North East). Better late than never?

paynebrody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #13466
panhead_pete
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 882
Put a helmet on. Skin will repair, your noggin wont.
__________________
All the gear and no idea.
panhead_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #13467
paynebrody
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
paynebrody's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Clifton Hill, Vic, Australia
Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_pete View Post
Put a helmet on. Skin will repair, your noggin wont.
I knew someone would get me on that...
paynebrody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #13468
mat@jiggi
n00b
 
mat@jiggi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Jiggi Northern NSW
Oddometer: 7
output shaft bearing

Just testing the combined knowledge of the dr community. Last week while riding home from work stopped to get mail at bottom of driveway, went to change into 1st but bike wouldnt go past neutral. made it up driveway in second and into shed, tried 1st again only to be greated to a crunching sound. Trailered bike to mechanic and the outcome is a destroyed output shaft bearing. Has anyone heard of this happening before and why? Mechanic has never seen/heard of it happening to a Dr. Hoping there is not to much internal gearbox damage, fingers crossed.
mat@jiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:33 AM   #13469
grrant1058
Motorcyclist 24/7
 
grrant1058's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat@jiggi View Post
Just testing the combined knowledge of the dr community. Last week while riding home from work stopped to get mail at bottom of driveway, went to change into 1st but bike wouldnt go past neutral. made it up driveway in second and into shed, tried 1st again only to be greated to a crunching sound. Trailered bike to mechanic and the outcome is a destroyed output shaft bearing. Has anyone heard of this happening before and why? Mechanic has never seen/heard of it happening to a Dr. Hoping there is not to much internal gearbox damage, fingers crossed.
Could be the result of an over tensioned chain.
grrant1058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:13 AM   #13470
mat@jiggi
n00b
 
mat@jiggi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Jiggi Northern NSW
Oddometer: 7
Thanks Grrant, owned bike since new, 31000kms, chain never tight (probably usualy too loose). Anyone else got any ideas?
mat@jiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014