Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #13531
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Ozzy View Post
Alright f#ckit then, I'm going to tough it out, turn signal knob, I don't need no stinkin turn signal knob
That's the scungy DR spirit.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:35 AM   #13532
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSHAKER View Post
I think its broken :-(
I could see mine breaking there, so reinforced it, and it broke just in front of where I strengthened it some years later, and at the swingarm pivot too.

I posted up here from post #491 FWIW:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...646076&page=33
Old 11-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #13533
racca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Any one have any experience with Gold Coast Suzuki for getting their DR serviced?
racca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #13534
gavo
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
I could see mine breaking there, so reinforced it, and it broke just in front of where I strengthened it some years later, and at the swingarm pivot too.

I posted up here from post #491 FWIW:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...646076&page=33
Mine too, Guess they don't like jumps when fully loaded
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:28 AM   #13535
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavo View Post
Mine too, Guess they don't like jumps when fully loaded
I like the way you've approached that fix - put a new rear tyre on and worry about the hard bit later !

Did you add the extra braces after some initial cracks or in the hope of stopping any starting ?
Old 11-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #13536
slapper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
what is it with installing the rear wheel?

I've been chasing what feel like drivetrain vibrations through my bike for a while .. and it's doing that thing where I swear it's getting worse, but I'm not positive .. I mean, is it just that I'm paying more attention and am getting hyper-sensitive? :)
Anyway, I checked the cush drive rubbbers last night .. they're loose and pretty hard but show no signs of cracking, perishing or whatnot - I've just always assumed they need to be that hard. Maybe not, I've slipped some pieces of inner tube in and I reckon it's a bit better - the vibes are still there under acceleration at certain revs/speeds but I reckon tghey're "milder". So .. I've just ordered some new cush-drive rubbers.

but. once again I've been frustrated/annoyed/sh*tted_off by how difficult this rear wheel seems to be to bolt back up. Over the years I've had a few trail bikes and the DR is the only one I can recall being this frustrating!! The friggen spacers fall out, the brakes won't line up, the bolt won't go in .. aaaaargh!! Is there some black magic here that I'm missing?

sheeesh!
slapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #13537
dobbo
dirt dog

Oddometer: 934
slapper,

try soaking the cush rubbers overnight in some oil, they swell slightly, then wipe excess oil off and reinstall them, will ensure a tighter fit.
(tight-arse DR owners manual tip:101 )

Might also be time to check your rearwheel bearings (and cushdrive bearing), most bearing shops can supply these. Just ensure you get the same diameter (thickness) bearings, as I was given one bearing that was a pooftenth thicker, was a nightmare trying to get the wheel, with spacers, back between the swingarm, 1000km later, I had a gutfull and pull them out, cross-referenced with the micro-fiche to discover what had happened.

I use alpha-sports.com for the parts list, mine is an 08 DR, but you can select the year model and go from there.
here is a link:
http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm

cheers
Dobbo
dobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #13538
slapper
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbo View Post
try soaking the cush rubbers overnight in some oil"
just motor oil? I have some 20w50 at the ready :)

Thanks for the link - I've already checked the bearings and replaced the sprocket mount one - no difference whatsoever! I had a quick look last night and they seemed okay but I'll give them a proper check when the rubbers arrive ..
I reckon the new (and old) bearing was a pretty loose fit on the axle though - it certainly had more free play than I thought would've been good but figured that was just "how it was meant to be".

Does anyone have an accurate diameter for the rear axle? Maybe I'll actually measure it :)

cheers, Slap

slapper screwed with this post 11-27-2013 at 04:53 PM
Old 11-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #13539
profoundly_disturbed
Life's too short

Oddometer: 29
Now a DR As Well!

Count me in the DR Register
Old 11-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #13540
rutsthematter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapper View Post
but. once again I've been frustrated/annoyed/sh*tted_off by how difficult this rear wheel seems to be to bolt back up. Over the years I've had a few trail bikes and the DR is the only one I can recall being this frustrating!! The friggen spacers fall out, the brakes won't line up, the bolt won't go in .. aaaaargh!! Is there some black magic here that I'm missing?

sheeesh!
Try taking the rear chain guide off and move the chain and guide right out of the way.
rutsthematter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #13541
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
December 1st 2013

Hey Guys,

https://www.facebook.com/events/1381...8540/?source=1

A mate of mine from work is heading up to Brisbane this Sunday 1st December 2013 10am in a protest on parliments around Australia regarding the new laws affecting bikers and to "merge on your local parliment" Australia wide.

I'm really on the fence about this, as I don't ride with clubs and mainly ride where police don't patrol but thought I go up with him for the fun of it and to give some moral support and to see what the fuss is about.

So if you happen to be near your local parliment, turn up and at least shed some light on what the new laws may mean to those of us that are law abiding citizens.

cheers.
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod

Thumper Dan screwed with this post 11-28-2013 at 01:56 AM
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:23 AM   #13542
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,242
Cool it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapper View Post
I've been chasing what feel like drivetrain vibrations through my bike for a while .. and it's doing that thing where I swear it's getting worse, but I'm not positive .. I mean, is it just that I'm paying more attention and am getting hyper-sensitive? :)
Anyway, I checked the cush drive rubbbers last night .. they're loose and pretty hard but show no signs of cracking, perishing or whatnot - I've just always assumed they need to be that hard. Maybe not, I've slipped some pieces of inner tube in and I reckon it's a bit better - the vibes are still there under acceleration at certain revs/speeds but I reckon tghey're "milder". So .. I've just ordered some new cush-drive rubbers.

sheeesh!
Take a deep breath...

Yes it's not the easiest back wheel to get in but it goes with a bit of patience. The more you try to rush, the harder it is. I find that it is a lot easier with the bike on a jack stand at a level where the rear wheel is just touching the ground and the swing arm is the right height for the axle to line up. You need to get the wheel with spacer sitting in the bearing seal into place then slip the rear brake caliper bracket back in to its locator after that, after spreading the pads a bit.

On the driveline vibration. Mine got a whole lot better (virtually unnoticeable) after replacing the cush drive rubbers. The original ones after about 40k sounded like yours-hard and loose. The new ones where softer and tight. very tight in fact that it was really difficult to get the sprocket holder back in completely into the cush drive of the back wheel. I had to spread the swing arm a little to get the whole shooting match back in and then it all closed up properly with some tension on the axle nut. After a bit of use, it all comes apart and goes back together no worries once the new rubbers have bedded in.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."

kezzajohnson screwed with this post 11-28-2013 at 03:31 AM
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:38 AM   #13543
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,035
Some silicone spray facilitates squeezing the cush hub in with new rubbers FWIW.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:00 AM   #13544
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Some silicone spray facilitates squeezing the cush hub in with new rubbers FWIW.

I just wasn't sure what chemicals may have made them go hard in the first place but you're probably right there BergDonk... You're always right.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:07 AM   #13545
slapper
Adventurer

thanks all :)
rubbers are on order .. next week i'm told. If I'm inclined, I'll pull the existings and soak 'em for the interim. I'm facing a pretty busy weekend thought so I'm not sure I'll get there .. we'll see. I would lim to know ehat a difference it makes - enquiring minds and all.

It seems like there's no black art I need to learn for the wheel (bugga!)
I'm already doing what has been suggested - except for removing the chain guard, I'll try that next time I have the wheel off.

cheers