Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #13636
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_343 View Post
What have you guys used to mount fat bars on the DR? Is there a recommended mount? I have been looking at some generic bar mounts with a 60mm thread length and 10mm diameter bolt, but the guys at the bike shops seem reluctant to sell them to me and say they think they won't work... I can't see why not?
BTW I don't want the riser style ones that sit on top of the stock mounts, I actually want as little rise as possible, just want to convert to pro taper fat bars 1 1/8" size.
Help appreciated!
Maybe the offset riser?
http://www.motorcycleadventure.com.a...rice&order=ASC
Old 01-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #13637
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
What have you guys used to mount fat bars on the DR? Is there a recommended mount? I have been looking at some generic bar mounts with a 60mm thread length and 10mm diameter bolt, but the guys at the bike shops seem reluctant to sell them to me and say they think they won't work... I can't see why not?
BTW I don't want the riser style ones that sit on top of the stock mounts, I actually want as little rise as possible, just want to convert to pro taper fat bars 1 1/8" size.
Help appreciated!
You mean like this...

These were stock on my CRF250X. They have a bigger diameter bolt than the DR ones - 12 vs 10 from memory. I just drilled out the stock DR mounts to suit. I also added another tapped hole in the bottom of the mount to provide more options for front/rear positioning. They can be turned around giving 4 different bar positions.

Torpedo 7 was selling what appeared to be the same TAG mounts - not listing them now though.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:46 PM   #13638
rowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Help appreciated!
I have these on mine:

http://www.protaper.com/products/tri...-rubber-mounts

Which came with the Procycle fat bar kit. They are the same height as the originals and have a 4mm offset.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:02 AM   #13639
micko01
another DR650 rider

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Just bought a DG slip on, anyone else got one and had to adjust the holes on the mount brackets because they didn't line up with threaded holes on frame?
Yep.

I've got a DG-O and had to bend the front tab slightly out to get it to align properly.....
micko01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #13640
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 2,129
Thanks mate, that is exactly what I needed to see a pic of! cheers for the other replies as well guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Steve View Post
You mean like this...

These were stock on my CRF250X. They have a bigger diameter bolt than the DR ones - 12 vs 10 from memory. I just drilled out the stock DR mounts to suit. I also added another tapped hole in the bottom of the mount to provide more options for front/rear positioning. They can be turned around giving 4 different bar positions.

Torpedo 7 was selling what appeared to be the same TAG mounts - not listing them now though.
Tenere XT600 34L 1983 classic
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #13641
kimmie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
So my Wolfman Enduro tank bag arrived today Slowly getting Daisy ready for an adventure.

Just sorting out rear luggage now that will accommodate me camping and carrying my own stuff.

Bike came fitting with a home made rack and wine carriers (gotta be happy about that). I've currently got an RJays Explorer bag sitting over the back portion of the seat with a swag (with sleeping bag, mattress & pillow rolled inside) on the rear rack. Tools and hammer can go in one wine rack & of course wine should go in the other :

Looking at a set of spot/fog LED lights now and you guys have provided a heap of info as to WHAT to buy. But how's the best way to mount them with an IMS 20lt tank? (I haven't found anything as yet to help me here).

Thanks & sorry for the long winded rabble.

Going on a test ride on the weekend will post some pics up of her packed up when I get back.

Kimmie
kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #13642
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,902
Best pic I have handy. A piece of 4 mm sheet bent, but not creased to reduce/eliminate cracking and attached to the barkbuster mount.

Works good with HID in main light.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #13643
Goosefeather
Captain Slow

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmie View Post
Looking at a set of spot/fog LED lights . . . . But how's the best way to mount them with an IMS 20lt tank?
I took the front round orange reflectors off the standard brackets and used the brackets as is . . . possibly a little exposed in a fall, but the bar/tank may help out there on flat ground (no rocks). I put a bit of red reflective tape back on the brackets to maintain parking visibility. I can't recall, but may have had to widen the holes a poofteenth for the particular LEDs I fitted
Goosefeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #13644
racca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosefeather View Post
i took the front round orange reflectors off the standard brackets and used the brackets as is . . . Possibly a little exposed in a fall, but the bar/tank may help out there on flat ground (no rocks). I put a bit of red reflective tape back on the brackets to maintain parking visibility. I can't recall, but may have had to widen the holes a poofteenth for the particular leds i fitted

+1
racca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #13645
kimmie
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosefeather View Post
I took the front round orange reflectors off the standard brackets and used the brackets as is . . . possibly a little exposed in a fall, but the bar/tank may help out there on flat ground (no rocks). I put a bit of red reflective tape back on the brackets to maintain parking visibility. I can't recall, but may have had to widen the holes a poofteenth for the particular LEDs I fitted
OK, yep good spot but I still require the indicators. Guess it's as matter of just making something that best suits what you want. Also thought of possibly mounting them off a bracket attached to the top of the fender/base of the head light.

BergDonk - I don't have enough room where my busters mount (also have a SPOT & GPS mounted on the bars) and the bracket for the buster we are using I'd doubt would take the weight.

Thanks guys, might have to do some fiddling.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:49 AM   #13646
CCCC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
HELP which way front sprocket??

Hi guys

About to fit a 14t front sprocket and not sure which side should be closest to the gearbox.
Any help would be great. See pics
Cheers

CCCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:05 AM   #13647
Goosefeather
Captain Slow

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmie View Post
OK, yep good spot but I still require the indicators.
My indicators are still in stock position.

You could possibly reverse the brackets and mount LEDs higher but that would probably foul the tank, and as I want to use them as "daytime running lights" I don't want to obscure others view of the blinkers.

(You can see a permanently mounted Merit plug on the headlight shroud - fitted for charging accessories on overnight trips)

Goosefeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:13 AM   #13648
Fulldeck
noob

Oddometer: 114
14T Sprocket

Hi CCCC,

When I fitted my 14T the boss (raised section on the sprocket) went towards the engine. Also I hope you received a new triangular retention plate with the sprocket otherwise you are going to have grind down the original retainer edge as the chain can bind on the original retainer when used with the 14T sprocket.
Cheers and Good Luck
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” (Mark Twain)
Fulldeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #13649
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCC View Post
Hi guys

About to fit a 14t front sprocket and not sure which side should be closest to the gearbox.
Any help would be great. See pics
Cheers
good idea to throw a countershaft seal retainer on if your bike doesn't have one already. $20 at suzuki and stops the seal popping out and draining your oil etc.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:22 AM   #13650
kimmie
Adventurer

Cool, thanks Goosefeather!

I don't actually have the reflectors as you however think that may be just a little low to run as spotties. Will have some more thought about it.

On another note:

I've just got back from an overnight squirt up the Oxley with my better half and had some issues with her starting again when hot. Bikes in neutral, no neutral light and she won't start. It's almost like it's still thinks it's in gear (but it's not). At this stage it's difficult to engage first and almost impossible to get second when stopped trying to find neutral. Have to wait until she's cooled down (in her own time of course...I know typical female) before she'll identify neutral and start.

Otherwise a great weekend.