Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #13831
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
having pegs further back will certainly help, as long as you can reach the gear lever okay.

i had the same issues being 6 foot four. i ended up pushing the bars up and forward with a custom alloy block, the cutting and rewelding the pegs lower and about two inches back. what finished it off nicely was a pair of home made stegz pegz mounted off the rear peg mounts, no need to move forward on uphills or under acceleration anymore.
Thanks B1. I think I remember reading about your stegz pegz somewhere else, you used rubber door stoppers from bunnings mounted on a metal bracket didn't you?

I am going to lower the peg brackets regardless of which brand of pegs I get, as I find that my knees are a little too high and bent even sitting down. The custom alloy block for the bars would be the best way of getting them into the position I want, but does sound a bit too expensive since I don't have access to the tools (or have the ability).

Thanks for the suggestions though.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #13832
Portly
Plodder

Oddometer: 284
I find the seat concepts tall seat helps a lot with position, not only does it lift your butt giving a better seating position for taller riders, the way it is shaped gives you support behind your legs when standing.
Portly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:47 PM   #13833
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Did you also have lowered pegs? Or would that be too much for a 6 foot person?
Old 02-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #13834
bungen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
PivotPegz

I fitted Pivot Pegz Mk3 and I'm very happy with them, particularly when standing. They're nice and wide and the pivoting action is much easier on your ankles and knees than standard pegs.

Peter
bungen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:28 AM   #13835
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungen View Post
I fitted Pivot Pegz Mk3 and I'm very happy with them, particularly when standing. They're nice and wide and the pivoting action is much easier on your ankles and knees than standard pegs.

Peter
Hey Peter, thanks for the info. Basically it comes down to: is it worth spending the extra money on the pivot pegs? They are damn expensive.

Or another way of looking at it: if I'm already spending $150 on Fastway pegs, should I spend another $50 and get (basically the same) a pivot function?

Just not sure how I'd like it. Most of the reviews I've read seem to rave about pivot pegs, and you said they are easier on your knees which i do like the sound of. Still on the fence really.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:47 AM   #13836
0405canvet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Give B1 a call and try his bike ?
0405canvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #13837
Maso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Captain.

I fitted wider pegs to my DRZ when I had it and did not find it much different to standard, it was not a "WOW" that is much better moment.

After that I went to Pivot pegs.

For the first couple of rides they were "Strange" to say the least, however once you get used to them they are great. A lot less fatiguing on my feet and ankles on longer rides.

Now when I ride a bike without them it feels weird.

My 2c worth is spend the extra and get the Pivot Pegs, you will love them.

Past Ride DRZ400E Now DR650
Maso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #13838
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,109
I'm a fan of the Fastways. Nice an wide, adjustable position, although not such a big deal on the DR when modifying the hangers anyway. They don't wear, and just work. Bars up and forward to get the peg bar relationship right, then mod the seat to make transitioning easy. Do it in that order.

I have StegPegz on my FE650 and they really help with hill climbs. I've not felt the need mostly on the DR with its wider seat, and less extreme terrain agenda but I suspect a B1 clone arrangment may be in my future nevertheless.

I probably haven't spent enough time on the Pivots adapting, but to date, they don't work for me.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #13839
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain115 View Post
The custom alloy block for the bars would be the best way of getting them into the position I want, but does sound a bit too expensive since I don't have access to the tools (or have the ability)..
i went to an alloy mob and bought an off cut for $4 that was already the right shape and drilled four holes in it. i generally try not to spend more than $10 on any mod although the bunnings door stops/stegs pegz did total $13.

personally i think stegz pegz (or a bastardised homegrown version) eliminate the need for any pivot pegs as they just anchor you to the bike... the only time you'd really change body position is going up very steep hills.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #13840
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Well theres the crux of my problem: pivot pegs seem to be a hit or miss with people.

I don't really have the moeny to spend on pegs now anyway, so I think I'll just hedge my bets and do the bracket lowering and see how it feels then.
If my knees still ache and/or I have trouble with positioning in during inclines, then I'll revisit the issue and probably go the pivot pegs, otherwise the Fastway (or Chinese knockoffs) might be it.

Thanks for the info everyone, much appreciated.

On a side note, if anyone hates their pivot pegs for a DR and wants to make a quick buck, let me know...
Old 02-16-2014, 09:25 PM   #13841
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

You can easily widen stock pegs with 1/2 a peg.

Not the best pic, and sorry about a KLX in a DR thread, this is what i did on the missus 300. If you look closely you can see the stock peg is widened to the rear. This has the efftect of not only widening the platform, but rear setting the pegs too. Your foot position is more or less defined bu your instep, so widen rearwards 20 mm and you've rearset the pegs 20 mm too. If you can't find some suitable old pegs and couldn't be bothered hacking up some mild steel, Ballards have some peg rebuilders that work well for this. 1 pair does 2 bikes.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:39 AM   #13842
greendude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
ERRR it,s green
greendude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #13843
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendude View Post
ERRR it,s green
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
..... . and sorry about a KLX in a DR thread, .................
Well I did apologise up front
Old 02-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #13844
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendude View Post
ERRR it,s green
Says the guy with a screen name greendude. Whatcha ya hiding in the garage?

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:13 PM   #13845
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
You can easily widen stock pegs with 1/2 a peg.

Not the best pic, and sorry about a KLX in a DR thread, this is what i did on the missus 300. If you look closely you can see the stock peg is widened to the rear. This has the efftect of not only widening the platform, but rear setting the pegs too. Your foot position is more or less defined bu your instep, so widen rearwards 20 mm and you've rearset the pegs 20 mm too. If you can't find some suitable old pegs and couldn't be bothered hacking up some mild steel, Ballards have some peg rebuilders that work well for this. 1 pair does 2 bikes.
Thanks BergDonk, I believe my old XR600 came with the Ballards wideners welded on to it. Still weren't very large since the stock pegs were so small to begin with.

Had a look at Ballards, but for $25 plus postage plus cost of welding I reckon I'd go the $30 chinese pegs. Although that's if I go the 'cheap' option.

Looking at getting the brackets cut and rewelded next week, so I'll see how they change the ergos and comfort. If I still need more I'll look at changing the pegs again.

Cheers everyone for your help.