Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #13996
garin
thumper

Oddometer: 2
Help in Hobart area! Can I borrow an oil filler cap?

This afternoon my oil filler cap rolled off into the bush, leaving me shaking my head at my own inability to tighten it well enough after an oil change... The good news is that I noticed it almost immediately before I sprayed oil all over everything. The bad news is that I am supposed to be leaving Hobart at dawn on Sunday for a big trip....

So if anybody can "lend" me their oil filler cap and o-ring, I'll gladly replace it with enough cash to get another of their choice -- stock, or a flash one from Vince Strang or elsewhere. I'll also throw in a six pack of one of Tassie's finer brews to help the few days that it takes to arrive go by smoothly.

Anyone?

Thanks

-Chad
garin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:24 PM   #13997
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,192
I've used wine bottle corks and rubber bungs to plug filler holes in the past. A bit of tie wire over the top and shaped to suit. Twist them in and the threads get some bite.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:52 AM   #13998
Big Willy
two dementional

Oddometer: 2,160
Could be a clutch rattle Otherwise...

Take the lefthand bung off the alternator cover and put a socket with a non-racheting handle on the large nut in there.
Take the sparkplug out, bring the piston up to about 30mm off TDC and gently put a screwdriver on top of the piston.
Turn the crankshaft gently a couple of degrees backwards and forwards and the piston should move immediately.

You may even be able to feel play without touching the piston with the screwdriver merely by turning the crank minutely.

Trick to getting the gudgeon pin in btw is to heat the top of the piston and possibly little end on the conrod...doesn't need much

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbo View Post
Hi,

I thought I'd post this here, rather than the DR thread in the 'Thumper' section, where it would get lost in the pages rather quickly.

My 2008 DR650 (50,000 kilometres on the clock) has developed quite a rattle within the engine somewhere, which increases with an increase in revs (same if bike is warm or cold).
I never really noticed it, until a recent trip, where I had a couple of other DR650 riders comment about the rattle/noise in my bike's engine.

Bike has a High Compression piston fitted (From Procycles.us), which I did have trouble fitting the new cudgen pin, which took a little gentle persuasion to get it fitted.
The piston has been in the bike for about 20,000 kilometres now. (so I don't think this is the problem); although, I have notice it to be a little more 'rattley' since the piston went in, back then.

I always run a 10W-40 engine oil and 98 octane fuel.
Valve clearances are okay and within spec.
I remove the 'Bash-plate' to see if it was just the engine noise resonating from it; however, the rattle is still there.
NSU screws have been loctited in place.

Did anyone here, with a HC piston fitted notice an increase in engine noise...ie rattle ???

Can anyone give me a few suggestions on where to start looking, before dismantling the engine.

Any help would be appreciated,
thanks

Dobbo
Old 04-11-2014, 02:32 AM   #13999
garin
thumper

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
I've used wine bottle corks and rubber bungs to plug filler holes in the past. A bit of tie wire over the top and shaped to suit. Twist them in and the threads get some bite.
Yup, I've got a rubber chair foot jammed in there now. It's holding well enough, though I'd really like to get a proper one settled. I've got a line on one in Melbourne, which will do -- I'd just feel better with a proper one ASAP.
garin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:12 AM   #14000
Benz-in-Oz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by garin View Post
Yup, I've got a rubber chair foot jammed in there now. It's holding well enough, though I'd really like to get a proper one settled. I've got a line on one in Melbourne, which will do -- I'd just feel better with a proper one ASAP.
Coming over the Clarence River once in late seventies just turning off to go into Yamba my foot slipped off the peg on the Duc. 860 I looked down and there was Bel Ray spraying all up the side of the engine from the filler hole. I pulled it up by the roadside and all I could find was a bit of sugar cane, I wrapped a piece of rag that I carried under the seat around it and it served me quite well till I could get a replacement.

The journey is the reward.
Benz-in-Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:37 PM   #14001
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,192
Had a similar one years ago too Graeme, we shaped a stick with a multitool to fit. Can be done. And of course a little bit of oil makes a big mess on the outside.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #14002
Goosefeather
Captain Slow

Oddometer: 845
IMS Tank Grommets

Anyone had to replace these - any local options?

Goosefeather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:13 PM   #14003
grrant1058
Motorcyclist 24/7

Oddometer: 327
[QUOTE=Goosefeather;23925496]Anyone had to replace these - any local options?

Dear Mr Goosefeather - those rubbers look very similar to the end piece the tyre shop cuts off the tubeless valve stem when they fit a new one to your car rims. I always grab a handful of these from Bob Jane or similar. Usually a stack of them laying on the ground and they make awesome rubber washers.

Cheers - Ron
grrant1058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:26 PM   #14004
Goosefeather
Captain Slow

Oddometer: 845
[QUOTE=grrant1058;23926291 . . . those rubbers look very similar to the end piece the tyre shop cuts off the tubeless valve stem . . .[/QUOTE]

Dear Mr Grant - sounds like a good practical tip - thanks!
I shall investigate.
Goosefeather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:47 AM   #14005
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,847
just put this in the wanted section so if any one could help pm me,

wanted Sargent's seat
hi all
any one got one for sale for a dr650

thanks mickd

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
mickd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:44 AM   #14006
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
DR650 parts various

I've been farkling my bush-pig for a couple of years now and as such I have few boxes of bits lying around that should probably go to a better home. So gauging any interest in the following... all parts are original unless stated otherwise.

Tank - original black, VGC from memory including original petcock and filler cap.
Exhaust header.
Exhaust muffler.
Levers.
Bars.
Tool holder and original tools.

There is more, will update later. I'm based Brisbane. Easiest for me is a weekend or evening meet somewhere. Prices? I know I'm supposed to include a price but I truly am not sure what any of it is worth, I'm open to any reasonable offer or donation to ADV. I'd rather help someone in need out than ebay the stuff for an extra $
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #14007
Eddywoodgo
two wheeled nomad

Oddometer: 987
I noticed my starter button felt a little weird. So I started to have a look at it and it just fell to bits.
I was able to reconstruct it but I want to do something better before I head down through mexico.
Has anyone modified theirs? I ve always been suss on the kill switch too. wouldnt mind changing that out while Im at it.
Any suggestions welcomed.
Thanks guys
Eddywoodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:43 PM   #14008
Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddywoodgo View Post
I noticed my starter button felt a little weird. So I started to have a look at it and it just fell to bits.
I was able to reconstruct it but I want to do something better before I head down through mexico.
Has anyone modified theirs? I ve always been suss on the kill switch too. wouldnt mind changing that out while Im at it.
Thanks guys

Just took mine off for the same reason. Fitted a Honda Transalp one on. They built a bit better. Did the same to the lighting switch as well. Suzuki ones are cheap crap. Have fun

You Must Always Blow on the Pie Rumble's 2003 650 Transalp
2010 650 DR Suzuki
Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:44 AM   #14009
micko01
another DR650 rider

Oddometer: 107
I swapped my LH switch block out for this one:
http://www.kandstech.com/pimages/12-0055CN.html

and RH switch block out for this one:
http://www.kandstech.com/pimages/12-0203.html

On mine, the indicator mechanism on the LHS and kill switch on the RHS both filled with dust and sand and were cactus. I haven't done much with the new switches yet so don't know about longevity, but for now they seem well made. I chose these ones as the indicator and kill switches are rocker style, so hoping they don't fill up with dust and shit like the push on/push off style standard switches which have more exposed internals.

Time will tell........

Edit: another benefit of this light/indicator switch the headlight has an off position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddywoodgo View Post
Thanks guys

micko01 screwed with this post 04-15-2014 at 02:02 AM
micko01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:16 AM   #14010
Killa Meter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Going do my Nsu screws next oil change, I read somewhere that the concave washer on the clutch sleeve hub can make the gearbox clunk engaging first gear if it is installed back to front.
Anybody have any experience with this washer or seen it installed backwards.