Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2014, 11:17 PM   #14146
Portly
Plodder

Oddometer: 285
I believe the top mount is non serviceable it appears to be a steel sleeve bonded into rubber.
There would be very little pivoting. I always make sure the lower mount is bolted up before tightening the top one so it is properly located and not stressed in one direction.

Portly screwed with this post 05-19-2014 at 11:18 PM Reason: correction
Portly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:38 PM   #14147
rutsthematter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Thanks for that advice will do the top bolt up last.
rutsthematter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:10 AM   #14148
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Thanks for all the tire info, good food for thought. I'll try a pair of the Scorpion Rallys next on the DR and see how they go.
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:24 AM   #14149
kramer2k3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Hi everyone, i'm Jon, in Toowoomba. bought my first adventure bike the other day.. 2007 dr650, 20,000km on it. blue.. looking for goodies to add, it's fairly well stock. currently stripped to bare frame for a sandblast and powdercoat... been doing alot of research and done the recommended fixes in the dr650 wiki.. it had been on the beach a bit it seems. lots of rust areas developing on the frame. Also i think the standard paint was rubbish :( still i'm happy with the purchase and looking forward to some seriously good fun on it.. my housemate is even contemplating buying another thumper now to join me on some adventures! he used to ride a tenere 660.. been doing alot of reading on it and grabbed a 14 tooth sprocket for it and new mitas e07 for the rear.. couple other things needed addressing to get it up to rwc standard but i'm real excited to get out there on this.. i used to ride big bikes ( gsx1100efe, zzr1100) but sold them a few years ago as i was going too stupid fast on them and my luck / licence would run out at that rate.. got into the monkey bikes (z50's, dax, chaly etc) for probably the last 5 years and now stepping back up to the big boys toys.
kramer2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:29 AM   #14150
shanekfalcon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer2k3 View Post
Hi everyone, i'm Jon, in Toowoomba. bought my first adventure bike the other day.. 2007 dr650, 20,000km on it. blue.. looking for goodies to add, it's fairly well stock. currently stripped to bare frame for a sandblast and powdercoat... been doing alot of research and done the recommended fixes in the dr650 wiki.. it had been on the beach a bit it seems. lots of rust areas developing on the frame. Also i think the standard paint was rubbish :( still i'm happy with the purchase and looking forward to some seriously good fun on it.. my housemate is even contemplating buying another thumper now to join me on some adventures! he used to ride a tenere 660.. been doing alot of reading on it and grabbed a 14 tooth sprocket for it and new mitas e07 for the rear.. couple other things needed addressing to get it up to rwc standard but i'm real excited to get out there on this.. i used to ride big bikes ( gsx1100efe, zzr1100) but sold them a few years ago as i was going too stupid fast on them and my luck / licence would run out at that rate.. got into the monkey bikes (z50's, dax, chaly etc) for probably the last 5 years and now stepping back up to the big boys toys.
Hi Kramer,

Welcome to adventure riding, you will love it.

Seeing as you are in Toowoomba and getting into adventure riding, thought you may be interested in this event in October:

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/events/queensland-2014

Its all about adventure travel and plenty of riders on DR650s will be there.

Regards,

Shane
shanekfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #14151
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Righto ladies and gents, whats the go with Barrett pipes? Australian designed and built, delivered for $450 sounds good. Seem to be popular with the KTM 1190's, XTZ's and Husky TE's but not as much with the Oz DR riders?

I would only like a small sound increase, and don't want to have to repack it every 5000km, which removes FMF, DG etc. Staintune is disgustingly expensive due to only selling the full system.

Popular opinion is to do the GSXR pipe mod. I've actually got a x18g1x (03/04 GSXR1000) on the shelf and was quoted a reasonable price for the manufacture of the midpipe, flange and mounting bracket, but if I'm paying a chunk of change for a pipe, I'd prefer it to go to one I can choose the colour, adjust the sound and is brand new (ie Barrett and the like).

Had a chat to Jason of Barrett mufflers, nice bloke, and he said that they also provide a secondary baffle which quietens it down a bit more. So does anyone have experience with Barrett pipes on the DR, and how loud are we talking?

Cheers,

John
Old 05-21-2014, 11:11 PM   #14152
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,800
Captain , I have one on my bike and very happy with the permormance it gave using bum dyno marginal increase , if it breaths better out the arse which it does it allows you to then increase the airbox hole on top and run a DJ kit or pumper carb.
They are best with the single mesh baffle and have a great note worth getting one, I just use the standard header pipe with the weld inside ground down and smoothed out.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #14153
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
Captain , I have one on my bike and very happy with the permormance it gave using bum dyno marginal increase , if it breaths better out the arse which it does it allows you to then increase the airbox hole on top and run a DJ kit or pumper carb.
They are best with the single mesh baffle and have a great note worth getting one, I just use the standard header pipe with the weld inside ground down and smoothed out.
Hey robmoto, thanks for the response and pic. Good to hear a positive review from an Aus DR rider! As I said, the Barretts seem to be the pipe of choice for the (now-defunct) TE610/630's but almost no info on the DR.

I found that a little surprising, considering that there only seem to be two main aftermarket exhausts that don't need repacking: Staintune and Barrett (interestingly, both Australian companies...). Maybe it's because most Australian DR riders either stick with the stock pipe, fab up a GSXR can mod or go the whole hog and buy the full Staintune system.

I guess I'll keep having a think about it. Thanks again for the info.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:51 PM   #14154
TheDecepticon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Air filter grease

New to foam air filters, have cleaned and washed and rinsed and have some oil for re-oiling, waiting for them to dry(I have a spare that came with the bike). I see there is grease for the filter (I guess) to seal at the base against the air box. If I don't have any of the special grease, will some Vaseline or normal lube/ball joint grease be okay?
TheDecepticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:07 AM   #14155
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDecepticon View Post
New to foam air filters, have cleaned and washed and rinsed and have some oil for re-oiling, waiting for them to dry(I have a spare that came with the bike). I see there is grease for the filter (I guess) to seal at the base against the air box. If I don't have any of the special grease, will some Vaseline or normal lube/ball joint grease be okay?
Any old grease will work. I use whatever is handy at the time and have not had any filters fall apart yet.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:14 AM   #14156
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain115 View Post
Hey robmoto, thanks for the response and pic. Good to hear a positive review from an Aus DR rider! As I said, the Barretts seem to be the pipe of choice for the (now-defunct) TE610/630's but almost no info on the DR.

I found that a little surprising, considering that there only seem to be two main aftermarket exhausts that don't need repacking: Staintune and Barrett (interestingly, both Australian companies...). Maybe it's because most Australian DR riders either stick with the stock pipe, fab up a GSXR can mod or go the whole hog and buy the full Staintune system.

There is also MC Performance. Pretty sure the owner is a member on here.
http://www.mcperformance.com.au/inde...products/dr650
No experience with them, I'm using a GSXR can.

Having read a few of your ride reports it seems you do some long days on the bike as I do. I couldn't do that with a Staintune pipe...
Old 05-23-2014, 01:46 AM   #14157
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain115 View Post

AFAIK Barretts are repackable, but I could be wrong, I have been before, once I think, or maybe twice if SWMBO is right
Old 05-23-2014, 01:58 AM   #14158
TheDecepticon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Steve View Post
Any old grease will work. I use whatever is handy at the time and have not had any filters fall apart yet.
Thanks.
TheDecepticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:47 PM   #14159
12ARX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,369
Can anyone confirm whether Shell helix HX7 10w-40 for "diesel and petrol engines" is safe for the DR650?

It's api sn/cf,acea a3/b3, b3/b4, JASO SG+ certified.

Going to get a few bottles from supercrap on special for my cruiser and thought if its safe for the clutch I will grab an extra bottle..

12ARX screwed with this post 05-28-2014 at 04:47 PM
12ARX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #14160
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
AFAIK Barretts are repackable, but I could be wrong, I have been before, once I think, or maybe twice if SWMBO is right
Hey BergDonk, I had a chat to Jason about that and he said that the Barretts come with both fibreglass and stainless steel wool, unlike the other DR pipes on the market.

As the race pipes (FMF DG etc) are fibreglass they need to be repacked regularly, whereas the Staintune is only stainless steel wool so doesn't need to be repacked but apparently give the exhaust note a more tinny noise. The idea of the Barrett is that it sits in the middle (fibreglass and stainless steel), with the stainless steel meaning it doesn't really need to be repacked, but the fibreglass taking the harsh edge off the exhaust note.

It shouldn't need to be repacked really, but on the off chance it needs to you just drill outs the rivets on the endcap and repack it.

Obviously this may be somewhat bias information, since I heard it from the owner and manufacturer, but he was a knowledgeable and nice bloke and robmoto (a current Barrett owner) backs up what Jason said, such as not getting louder over time or needing a repack. Good to know.

I'm still tossing up between thisand the GSXR pipe, but thought this might be of interest to other DR owners with the same questions.