Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 03:26 AM   #14251
rutsthematter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Got a clutch question. The one different clutch plate (the black one) does it go bike side of the basket or on the outside. Fiche shows it on the inside but mine was on the outside. Thanks.
rutsthematter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:55 AM   #14252
Philmeup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutsthematter View Post
Got a clutch question. The one different clutch plate (the black one) does it go bike side of the basket or on the outside. Fiche shows it on the inside but mine was on the outside. Thanks.

I was just about to post my own clutch problem, when I saw your post.
These photos are from the cyclepedia press 1996-2012 DR650 workshop manual.
Hope it helps.
I don't suppose you know why my clutch release arm isn't springing back after I put my clutch cover back on.
Philmeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:11 AM   #14253
Philmeup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Hi guys, so I thought a bit more info might help me get a more accurate response. I was pulling my head off too inspect my combustion chamber after dropping dirt in the spark plug holes. I know doh. When after reading the part in the manual that said don't drop anything down the timing chain cavity. I dropped a sealing washer down there. I know doh again. So that led me to taking my clutch cover off to retrieve the washer. I figured I better change the gasket ( which by the way took a bloody long time to remove the old one) anyhow that all I did to the clutch. After Re-installing the cover I don't have any return in the clutch release arm. It's got me stumped. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Phil.
Philmeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:56 AM   #14254
rutsthematter
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for your reply, so the fiche is actually wrong looks like I will be rearranging my stack again. Last time I had the clutch cover off I remember having to play with the clutch lever arm a bit to get it to engage properly on the gear. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #14255
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmeup View Post
Hi guys, so I thought a bit more info might help me get a more accurate response. I was pulling my head off too inspect my combustion chamber after dropping dirt in the spark plug holes. I know doh. When after reading the part in the manual that said don't drop anything down the timing chain cavity. I dropped a sealing washer down there. I know doh again. So that led me to taking my clutch cover off to retrieve the washer. I figured I better change the gasket ( which by the way took a bloody long time to remove the old one) anyhow that all I did to the clutch. After Re-installing the cover I don't have any return in the clutch release arm. It's got me stumped. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Phil.
There isn't any spring tension on the arm, it swings freely until it's connected to the clutch cable.

More info here, scroll down to pic 4 & 5 for the short version.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=32

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:50 PM   #14256
dobbo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmeup View Post

Check this link, it might help:
http://drriders.com/topic11236.html

I had similar issues, I installed the clutch without the wire retainer & had the odd friction plate on the outside, then found I had no clutch.
I found that with out the wire retainer, the concave washer was able to move around which did not allow pressure to applied.
(not sure if you removed the inner most steel plate, held in position with the wire retainer?)
Might pay to check the concave washer has been installed the correct way around, as per link above. I have read where it has come from the factory the wrong way round.
I finally put the odd friction plate in towards the clutch basket (innermost position), now my clutch is working great.
Additionally: the steel plates have to go in to the basket with the 'sharpest lip' towards the outside, what I mean here is feel the outside edge of the steel plate and you will notice one edge is sharper, this edge has to be towards the outside (away from motor).

Also, cleaned my piston up with gasket stripper.
good luck
Dobbo

dobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #14257
slapper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
any thoughts before I start diagnosing?

Monday night, the DR got me half way from the carpark at work to the street before stopping ... has not run since :(
Symptoms: on the way to work it intermittently would "bog" at lowish revs - I'd open the throttle and nothing much would happen. Same sort of feeling as "oops, better switch to reserve" so I'm guessing it's fuel related. However, it would pick up slowly and, when past a certain point, it would again accelerate smoothly. On the way home, it did it again but died completely and I have not been able to start it since.

Opening the drain screw on the carby shows there's fuel in the bowl but the exhaust does not smell of fuel despite repeated attempts to start (tried again last night to no avail). ON a side note, the starter motor squawk is constant now so I guess that troublesome bush will also need replacing!

It's done this on and off as long as I've owned the bike - once every few months so never consistent enough to work out what was going on. Each time, a few minutes rest has been enough to get it going again, leading me to blame fuel tap, non-venting tank lid, carby inlet filter and a host of other things (in that approximate order) .. until now! I don't yet know what to blame, but my gut feel is carby. Any thoughts?

Hopefully tonight I'll get a chance to start checking things - I haven't even had time to pop the tank and check for spark yet!

Oh .. and another thing .. the included Suzuki tool kit stopped being useful when I tried to get the seat off. Bugga!
slapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #14258
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
First ones to check are:

Filter in pipe in carb fuel intake?

2 pin connector to coil under tank partly disconnected for intermittent connection?
Old 07-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #14259
slapper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
First ones to check are:

Filter in pipe in carb fuel intake?

2 pin connector to coil under tank partly disconnected for intermittent connection?
I will get there tonight but neither seems to fit with the "minimal power at low revs, then getting better when revs pick up".

.. we'll see
slapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:01 AM   #14260
rvt
Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer: 985
Or sticky choke?

This week's ride: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Vcz6Icqrhsbbpq
rvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:02 AM   #14261
duckslider
decelpoppin

Oddometer: 2,985
Took carby off to change main jet,but can't loosen the 2 farkin bowl screws.Even tried vice grips....but they will not budge!!
any helpful suggestions appreciated.

Wash it? It's a workhorse,not a bloody showpony.
duckslider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:10 AM   #14262
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 5,105
They are JIS screws Bob, not Phillips. Phillips will "cam" out,you need the correct bit. Also give them a tap with a small hammer can help
sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:34 AM   #14263
duckslider
decelpoppin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack one View Post
They are JIS screws Bob, not Phillips. Phillips will "cam" out,you need the correct bit. Also give them a tap with a small hammer can help
JIS hey.If ''cam'' out means burred,then they're cammed out.Tapped 'em with hammer but temper nearly took over!Will get ''proper'' bit tomorrow.
Thanks Dave.

duckslider screwed with this post 07-12-2014 at 01:45 AM
Old 07-12-2014, 01:36 AM   #14264
rutsthematter
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckslider View Post
Took carby off to change main jet,but can't loosen the 2 farkin bowl screws.Even tried vice grips....but they will not budge!!
any helpful suggestions appreciated.
Try an old chizel and hammer. Dig into the screw head and tap around. The screws are soft metal.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:42 AM   #14265
duckslider
decelpoppin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutsthematter View Post
Try an old chizel and hammer. Dig into the screw head and tap around. The screws are soft metal.
I'll only do this as a last resort.