Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2014, 01:44 AM   #14266
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 5,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckslider View Post
JIS hey.If ''cam'' out means burred,then that's it.Tapped 'em with hammer but temper nearly took over!Will get ''proper'' bit tomorrow.
Thanks Dave.
This is not a "golden rule" but an indication of JIS screws can be a dimple on the screw. My research has shown that Suzuki do use JIS in the majority of their screws,YMMV,as always
Attached Images

sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:03 AM   #14267
DR650OZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
DR 650 LED Lighting

Came across this today, looks good not sure about output if it is legal, or if the alternator can handle etc

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/trafa...new/1049481881
DR650OZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:22 AM   #14268
Portly
Plodder

Oddometer: 297
For getting the carby screws out I just ran a 5 mm drill into the heads and the heads fall off when you are deep enough.
Once the bowl is off the rest will screw out by hand.
Portly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:30 AM   #14269
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
For a JIS driver, you can grind the tip down a bit on a normal Phillips for a fair fit.

Once chewed up, you can use a hacksaw to cut a slot in them and use a normal flat blade screwdriver with an impact driver.

Then replace with Allen heads, stainless is good.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:55 AM   #14270
duckslider
decelpoppin

Oddometer: 2,983
Thanks for the 'tips' fellas.I'll get 'em out tomorrow!

Wash it? It's a workhorse,not a bloody showpony.
duckslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:48 AM   #14271
KIZ
Marty

Oddometer: 483
Think I used an impact driver (from Supercheap auto) first time, and went to universal fasteners and got socket head screws and now use allen keys.
KIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #14272
slapper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapper View Post
I will get there tonight but neither seems to fit with the "minimal power at low revs, then getting better when revs pick up".

.. we'll see
all fixed.
dodgey fuel delivery somewhere by the looks. Doesn't seem to fit the symptoms but I:
cranked it over - no start.
checked for spark, pulled and cleaned the plugs (they were a little dark but not toooooo bad)
pulled the fuel line and checked the carb inlet filter .. a little bit of grit but not enough to even slow the flow .. left it out and replaced with a small inline anyway.
Stuck the tank back on, cranked it and vroom vroom.
So .. maybe a little bit of grit in the line or something .. oh well, all's well that seems to have ended well

cheers
slapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #14273
duckslider
decelpoppin

Oddometer: 2,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portly View Post
For getting the carby screws out I just ran a 5 mm drill into the heads and the heads fall off when you are deep enough.
Once the bowl is off the rest will screw out by hand.
Thanks Portly,this method worked!!Stainless allen heads now.150 main jet.snorkel out.
Just went round the Mount.............outstanding improvement.

Wash it? It's a workhorse,not a bloody showpony.
duckslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:16 AM   #14274
greentea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Just to report back on the crazy idle issue I had, the mixture screw was like 4-5 turns out. I reseated it and turned it out to 2. While I had the tank off I checked the valve clearance. Rear ones were fine (0.04) front were a little tight so I loosened them to 0.08. Put the bike together, started up straight away, idle was great....
Started to smell something burning, think it was just a bit of oil leaking from the rocker cover when I had it opened. I wiped it off and turned the bike off.

Went to turn it back on again and now I just get a 'tick' from the right side of the bike... Could adjusting valve clearances affect the starter motor in anyway?
I dunno what to do. I rocked it back and forth but still only a 'tick'. Grounding looks fine. Battery is new..... sad now :(
greentea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:06 AM   #14275
grrant1058
Motorcyclist 24/7

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentea View Post
Just to report back on the crazy idle issue I had, the mixture screw was like 4-5 turns out. I reseated it and turned it out to 2. While I had the tank off I checked the valve clearance. Rear ones were fine (0.04) front were a little tight so I loosened them to 0.08. Put the bike together, started up straight away, idle was great....
Started to smell something burning, think it was just a bit of oil leaking from the rocker cover when I had it opened. I wiped it off and turned the bike off.

Went to turn it back on again and now I just get a 'tick' from the right side of the bike... Could adjusting valve clearances affect the starter motor in anyway?
I dunno what to do. I rocked it back and forth but still only a 'tick'. Grounding looks fine. Battery is new..... sad now :(
In theory if you adjusted the valve clearances and then had the motorcycle running, you can't have got anything that wrong to not restart. So that is probably not the issue. Likewise fuel mixture adjustment can't affect that. Might be worth checking the main fuse as you said you smelt burning. If you still have the stock tank maybe either the horn or some other wiring has shorted on the metal tank.
grrant1058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:22 AM   #14276
greentea
Adventurer

I pulled the solenoid off the starter motor and did it back up... bike started fine.
But now is backfiring... cant wait for this damn mixture screw to come!
Old 07-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #14277
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Mine did this once after I'd done some work on it. Presumably to do the valves you had the tank off which means the seat was off and therefore the side panels also. Have a look at the battery terminals, and at the starter relay under the R/H side panel. I pulled the plug off the starter relay and pushed it back and it was fine after that.
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #14278
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,861
Quote:

I dunno what to do. I rocked it back and forth but still only a 'tick'. Grounding looks fine. Battery is new….. sad now :(

check main fuse
check side stand down
check clutch switch

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #14279
greentea
Adventurer

I got it working again, the connection on the starter was loose.

Anyone know how to get the magneto cover off if the hex hole is stripped?
Old 07-13-2014, 10:34 PM   #14280
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Hammer and a sharp chisel around the outside edge has worked for some. It's easier with the engine at operating temperature.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote