User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
tschop OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Advice needed on 99 klr for rtw

Ive been looking at getting another KLR for a potential RTW next year, and I saw a 99 klr with following specs.

17,000 miles
705 kit installed at 15k.
Valves just done.
Newer Suspension
New Clutch at 15k
Doohickey Done
skid plate hand guards ect
Garage kept, good maintenance, ridden off road, one owner.

Do you think this would be a logical choice for a RTW? The 705 upgrade is the biggest selling point for me but I have reservations about buying a 15 yo old bike.
tschop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #2
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,697
I would want one as close to stock as possible. Why would the PO invest in the upgrades and immediately sell it (new clutch and 705 kit only 2,000 miles ago)?

If you and the PO aren't the same weight and riding the same conditions newer suspension doesn't mean much. Is it sprung for your weight and your riding conditions?

If you want to go RTW, why not buy a new bike that you'll know the history and can put a million miles on?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
15 year old bike for a RTW trip? If your serious you wouldnt be considering that bike.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:15 AM   #4
tschop OP
n00b

Serious? You mean like buy a brand new f1200gs serious? I could ride around the world on a 50 yo scooter and be serious.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
tschop OP
n00b

The bike is a very good price, seems like it have been maintained well, top end rebuild, new clutch, no oil issues.

Just from a reliability stand point, Im trying to weigh pros and cons vs new klr that will cost 3 times as much. I dont know why this thing cant go another 20,000 miles with out problem but its age is its biggest drawback.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
bigalsmith101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
15 year old bike for a RTW trip? If your serious you wouldnt be considering that bike.
People go RTW on $15k-$20k all the time. Spending 10% of the budget on the bike is very realistic for some people. Spending 33% is not.

How much does this bike cost Tschop?

My only concern: If it requires a new clutch at 15k miles, because it was ridden off road regularly, how are the rest of the internals.

It's likely just fine. I rode an '07 DR650 19,000 miles from Seattle to Buenos Aires and sold it with 24k miles to an Aussie who rode it to 35k miles before selling it again.

If you already own/owned a KLR650 and you're familiar with them, I don't see why this one wouldn't suffice.

It all comes down to price. Is it around $1500-$2000? Cause that would be a decent price.

Is it closer to $3000? Cause that's not a good deal.
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschop View Post
The bike is a very good price, seems like it have been maintained well, top end rebuild, new clutch, no oil issues.

Just from a reliability stand point, Im trying to weigh pros and cons vs new klr that will cost 3 times as much. I dont know why this thing cant go another 20,000 miles with out problem but its age is its biggest drawback.
Why does it have a top end and clutch at 15k? Also, age doesn't mean anything if it's as well maintained as you think. The number of years is irrelevant.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #8
bigalsmith101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Why does it have a top end and clutch at 15k? Also, age doesn't mean anything if it's as well maintained as you think. The number of years is irrelevant.
These were my concerns until I read,
Quote:
Garage kept, good maintenance, ridden off road, one owner.
If the bike was ridden off road with regularity, I can see why it might require a clutch at 15K miles. Otherwise I'd be concerned too.

The 705 kit otherwise is a good upgrade to the earlier model KLR's as they are known to burn a bit of oil. Plus, who doesn't like an extra 8.5% CC's :)
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #9
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,675
What needs to be reviewed carefully is the rubber based seals, hoses and internal O rings- motor, water pump, front fork seals, carb etc. etc. These deteriorate, harden with time.

Has the coolant been maintained and changed to ensure a clear radiator and water passages?

Have the greased areas, bearings been cleaned and new grease inserted regularly?

The wiring harness needs carefull checking too to ensure the insulation is still plastic.

If these maintenance items have been taken care of there is no reason why the bike cannot be ridden longer distances or RTW.

17K is still young mechanically. Check the wear items and you would be fine!

Tsotsie screwed with this post 07-30-2014 at 02:25 PM
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:58 PM   #10
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,476
I totally agree with the above. should be fine if the maintenance is done. maybe put some Ricor valves in the forks & get a better rear shock. forks are almost always under serviced & it makes them bouncy & dive when braking.

the 705 runs smoother than stock as well as providing more grunt (and using less oil) (I have 20,000 on my 705 & its as strong as ever). a 16 tooth countershaft sprocket will give you that 6th gear the bike should have had, & still lets you pull hard on the bottom end. Kawi should have done all that from the beginning (along with better suspension) (and a 6th gear)

edit -- by "valves done"... I would take that to mean the shims have been checked & set within limits. valve work would (should) have been done when the jug was changed. there are some gains to be had with head work

oh yea....grease the swing arm

Beezer screwed with this post 07-30-2014 at 03:04 PM
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:30 PM   #11
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,380
The KLR has made many RTW trips.
Parts are a plenty everywhere you go.
Roadside fixes are easier on the KLR than newer bikes.
As the others have said, as long as the maintenance was done properly and maintained, you should get a lot more miles out of the bike.
There are KLRs with over 100K miles.
This book ( http://www.amazon.com/Passion-Wind-A.../dp/B006O1IP88 ) details two KLRs riding the US and Canada and putting over 23,000 miles on their bikes in 48 days.
I have a 1999 KLR and a 2013 F800GS.
If I was to do a RTW trip, I'd take my KLR without thinking twice.
I trust her and am able to work on her.
And I have limited mechanical ability.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote