Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #151
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipefitter78 View Post
IM trying to figure this out! The large outlet by my finger and also the small one just above the word mikuni and beside Japan. What do they do? Where do they go?

Both are carb vent lines.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #152
pipefitter78
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
Both are carb vent lines.
Thanks for all the help! One more question for now, do they both vent to atmosphere or should they be routed into the airbox? This is my first encounter with a cv style carb. And I'm trying to fit it on a bike that came with a different carb. That's what's with all the head scratching. Thanks again for the help.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #153
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipefitter78 View Post
Thanks for all the help! One more question for now, do they both vent to atmosphere or should they be routed into the airbox? This is my first encounter with a cv style carb. And I'm trying to fit it on a bike that came with a different carb. That's what's with all the head scratching. Thanks again for the help.
Yes they both vent to the atmosphere... The lower smaller bung vents the float bowl and it usually has a hose attached that runs to a higher point under the seat, on the 640 it tucks between the top edge of the airbox and the frame rail...

The top larger bung vents the slide diaphragm chamber.... It usually has an elbow pipe along with a coarse screen filter assembly that hang beside the upper part of the carb...

This thread may help you:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114485
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #154
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Guys, if the mixture screw on the FCR has no effect it means the idle jet is too big, right?

M.
makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #155
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by makazica View Post
Guys, if the mixture screw on the FCR has no effect it means the idle jet is too big, right?

M.
Correct, if it's more than 3 turns out, drop one size on the pilot jet, then adjust the idle mixture screw properly again, if it still winds up more than 3 turns out, drop it a size again. I have heard you DO want the idle mix screw at least 1 turn out.

Dirty
Old 05-17-2012, 12:55 AM   #156
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Thanks Dirty!

M.
makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #157
mada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Air filter boot does not fit

Got an FCR41 from a 660 SMC 04 that I'm trying to fit my Adventure 640 98.
It seems air filter boot should be same on both bikes but as can be seen in pics the carb fits too loosely to the airbox. Anyone knows whats wrong or missing?

mada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #158
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,672
B.F.C.

Big Fuggin Clamp!

Nah! But if it clamps without binding/folding it'll be OK. I'd think about a few wraps of electrical tape or such to build that up a bit. machining a collar seems excessive for the space as it looks in the pics.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #159
mada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Turned out i had apparently flipped the boot, turning it with the RIGHT side against the carb fixed it...
mada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #160
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,201
Just rebuilt my BST. It's got a few good miles left in it yet but the butterfly shaft is getting worn so when the next rebuild is due, I'd rather put on an FCR than spend a bunch of cash & time restoring the BST.

An FCR39 off a 2003 WR450 is for sale locally at a reasonable price. I see JS racecars has fitted one of these to a pre-03 LC4 with just some massaging of the header that presumably wouldn't be needed on my 03. Does anyone have any other info or opinions on how well this would fit up to my 640? I have reasonable fabrication capability if I need to adapt anything up.

A mate has an FCR39 (off a 525 IIRC) on his 640E that fitted easily & runs really nicely so if I'm just wondering if this Yamaha version will work as well.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #161
rz35027
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
The FCR needs to be a model with the "bolt on" intake bell. Pre 05(?) KTM has them, and Suzuki...

An FCR without the bell will probably be too short and the intake side will be of a too small diameter. Building an adaptor shouldn't be too difficult.

Here is some reading I found usefull:

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=171578

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=171766
rz35027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #162
mxm64
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Leaking FCR39 MX

I've been fighting a float bowl drain hose leak for several weeks now on my FCR-MX on my Duke. I've tried cleaning the drain screw, re-tightening it and adding thread sealant without any luck. It was even leaking for days after I shut off the petcock. I think I have resolved that issue though by removing the aftermarket gas tank vent I had installed. It still leaks though with fuel On though.
I have been reluctant to remove the carb and check the float height yet, until I am sure the float height/needle seat is the issue. My main question is, is the float drain hose also the float bowl overflow drain? If so, does the drain screw not affect this part of the drain circuit?
mxm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:43 AM   #163
Lortdadu
Joe Cool

Oddometer: 208
Just got my FCR 39 from a KTM EXC 450 in the mail and installed it on my LC4 400. It came with throttle cables, carb boots and a larger bellmouth for increased air intake from the airbox. Haven't started it up yet.

The Schneider exhaust that I bought a year back has just a few mm of clearance between the header and the carb. I'm going to try and tilt the carb by just a bit, relocate it and relocate the exhaust to make the clearance larger. The header should fit with the carb, I'll be really surprised if it doesn't, since the exhaust should fit all LC4's from 93 and up. Denting the header will be my last option, and I'm going to try and avoid that.

KTM LC4 400 2002 - Military version
Lortdadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #164
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxm64 View Post
I've been fighting a float bowl drain hose leak for several weeks now on my FCR-MX on my Duke. I've tried cleaning the drain screw, re-tightening it and adding thread sealant without any luck. It was even leaking for days after I shut off the petcock. I think I have resolved that issue though by removing the aftermarket gas tank vent I had installed. It still leaks though with fuel On though.
I have been reluctant to remove the carb and check the float height yet, until I am sure the float height/needle seat is the issue. My main question is, is the float drain hose also the float bowl overflow drain? If so, does the drain screw not affect this part of the drain circuit?
yes it can function as an overflow but what you need to do is pull the carb and set the height or replace the float seal. you will never get it to run properly until you check that. chances are the o-ring is shot or the needle seal is damaged or worn and it cannot stop the flow of fuel.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #165
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lortdadu View Post
Just got my FCR 39 from a KTM EXC 450 in the mail and installed it on my LC4 400. It came with throttle cables, carb boots and a larger bellmouth for increased air intake from the airbox. Haven't started it up yet.

The Schneider exhaust that I bought a year back has just a few mm of clearance between the header and the carb. I'm going to try and tilt the carb by just a bit, relocate it and relocate the exhaust to make the clearance larger. The header should fit with the carb, I'll be really surprised if it doesn't, since the exhaust should fit all LC4's from 93 and up. Denting the header will be my last option, and I'm going to try and avoid that.

Been lurkin here a while. I am serioulsly ready to do the fcr 39 swap to my 400e. Where did you get your carb? You mention it came with cables, boots, and bellmouth. Was this a 'kit' you sourced from somewhere?
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote