Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #166
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Sudco will sell you a complete kit for your 400.

Cheers
Old 11-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #167
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post

Cheers
Thank you gentelmen. I'll be picking up the phone soon. I can hear it now. "Oh honey....I know what I want for X-mas!"
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #168
Lortdadu
Joe Cool

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
Been lurkin here a while. I am serioulsly ready to do the fcr 39 swap to my 400e. Where did you get your carb? You mention it came with cables, boots, and bellmouth. Was this a 'kit' you sourced from somewhere?

I bought mine from ebay. A seller called rev-it-red sold it, they seem to have a few still. The carb was removed from a 2006 exc, and the seller sold it as a kit. It was located in UK. Fcr carbs are slightly more valuable in the eu than in US.

Edit: yeah, Sudco can get you a brand new one like mentioned. I bought mine used. Thus i will have to sort the jetting and all.

KTM LC4 400 2002 - Military version
Lortdadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #169
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lortdadu View Post
I bought mine from ebay. A seller called rev-it-red sold it, they seem to have a few still. The carb was removed from a 2006 exc, and the seller sold it as a kit. It was located in UK. Fcr carbs are slightly more valuable in the eu than in US.

Edit: yeah, Sudco can get you a brand new one like mentioned. I bought mine used. Thus i will have to sort the jetting and all.
Thanks Lortdadu. I'll look into it. However, I think coming from the other side of the pond, any deals will erased by shipping.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #170
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

$$$$$$ For those who need to know $$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post

Cheers
Called Sudco and got a price of $538.00 or $556.00 Depending on model year LC4. Decision time.... Do I really want to put that into a 13 year old bike? Hard to say, She's low mileage and well cared for. And I do loves me some LC4!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #171
Lortdadu
Joe Cool

Quote:
Called Sudco and got a price of $538.00 or $556.00 Depending on model year LC4. Decision time.... Do I really want to put that into a 13 year old bike? Hard to say, She's low mileage and well cared for. And I do loves me some LC4!

Yeah. Fcr carbs are pricey. They vary from 700-950usd new on this side of the pond. hence the reason for buying it used. Im sure that if you keep your eyes open in ebay, you'll find a good deal!

Old 11-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #172
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Or maybe look into a TM40. Same design and a little less spendy. I'm not racing here, just looking for a little snap in my diet.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #173
Lortdadu
Joe Cool

Fired mine up today with the jets it came. It fired up after a few kicks, and then it bogged down, I checked and the plug got wet. I'm going to have to switch the needle and the main it came with. The current main jet is 178 and the needle was OBDTN. All the other jets were as supposed to be.

What needle do you guys recommend? In the engine manual it recommends a OBDVT, is this the right needle to use?

EDIT: I can't seem to find this needle from anywhere. What could be possible locations to buy it from?

Lortdadu screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 12:56 PM
Old 04-03-2013, 03:50 AM   #174
Lortdadu
Joe Cool

Took the bike out from the depths of winter storage! Spring is closing in, still a few degrees cold, but riding weathers are approaching!

Been fiddling with the carb now that the JD Jetting kit arrived a few months ago. Installed it on the sea level settings, but 'c-shaped pin'? is placed on the 2nd lowest position. It runs well, but won't idle without choke. I can keep it alive without choke, with a tiny bit of throttle. Got 168 main jet, 42 idling jet, 200 main air jet and 100 idling air jet. It idles very fast with choke. Any ideas?

I'm very satisfied with the carb swap so far. Took it for a spin today for the first time with it, and I've come to the conclusion that the first and second gears are quite difficult to handle at low speeds.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:42 AM   #175
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,699
Fastdadio, check out Power Barn located in Milwaukee, Wi., they sell both the Mikuni TM40 and FCR carbs http://www.power-barn.com/servlet/De...earchpath=6174
Quote:
Or maybe look into a TM40. Same design and a little less spendy. I'm not racing here, just looking for a little snap in my diet.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:52 AM   #176
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lortdadu View Post
Took the bike out from the depths of winter storage! Spring is closing in, still a few degrees cold, but riding weathers are approaching!

Been fiddling with the carb now that the JD Jetting kit arrived a few months ago. Installed it on the sea level settings, but 'c-shaped pin'? is placed on the 2nd lowest position. It runs well, but won't idle without choke. I can keep it alive without choke, with a tiny bit of throttle. Got 168 main jet, 42 idling jet, 200 main air jet and 100 idling air jet. It idles very fast with choke. Any ideas?

I'm very satisfied with the carb swap so far. Took it for a spin today for the first time with it, and I've come to the conclusion that the first and second gears are quite difficult to handle at low speeds.
How many turns on the air/fuel screw?
Old 04-03-2013, 04:55 AM   #177
Lortdadu
Joe Cool

It's turned out now 2 1/4 turns. Runs as smooth as it gets, but a little rough. When I turn it out, more fuel is allowed to the mixture right?

I'm thinking of getting a 48 sized idling jet and see if that makes the cure...

Old 04-03-2013, 05:06 AM   #178
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,340
yeah, turning it out is more fuel.... try a bigger jet, that can't hurt..... everybody here is talking about the 39mm carb, but that ain't really big enough for a 650... i gotta 41mm on my 450, runs great.....

there are other ports in the carb that the pilot feeds, you gotta make sure those are clean.... take the carb off, take out the pilot, spray carb cleaner thru the pilot circuit while upside down, blow air thru, repeat.... you gotta make sure the carb boot to the head fits/doesn't leak also....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #179
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,310
Turns out =more air (leaner) if I'm not mistaken.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #180
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
Turns out =more air (leaner) if I'm not mistaken.
Nope, it's a fuel screw, so more turns = more fuel...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote