Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2007, 10:52 AM   #31
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,368
KTm hard parts -

SUPERMOTO CATCH CAN
(PN: 59431096000)

The Supermoto Catch Can is designed to mount easily to the bottom of the frame without special tools or machining. Carb drain/venting hoses drain directly into the catch. Easily removed for service.
http://216.165.194.66/munnracing/200...arts/index.htm

PC racing?
CARBY VENT SYSTEM (SINGLE CARB)
<-- Back
When your motor sputters through the whoops or bogs when landing from a jump and G-outs, it is often caused by fuel being vapor-locked in the standard downward carburetor vent tubes. This vapor-lock action is similar to putting your Finger over a drinking straw to keep the Liquid trapped inside. By venting both hoses upward, the PC system allows fuel to drain through the downward vent tubes without hesitation and ensures continues air flow into the carburetor. To be sure that the upward tubes don't draw or get clogged with dirt, the foam filter-equipped vent box filters the air that the system breathes. Another vital function of the vent box is keeping water out of the upward vent tubes when you wash your vehicle. With the PC system, off-road riders don't experience the bogging common in stream crossings when the drain tubes are submerged in water and while being bounced around on rough terrain. Although the standard venting is improved on some of the newer motocrossers, 'bogging' problems still persist over obstacles which result in continuous bouncing, such as whoops. The new PC system includes additional T-vents to improve venting on these motor­cycles, and results in fewer vent lines hanging from the bottom of the motorcycle.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:08 AM   #32
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC950
I figured you had a drawer of that stuff but since you didn't mention it...

I just ordered the kit on that site. Super nice guy and ships today too.
I'm pretty sure thats where I got my one-ways and filters... nothing like a little overkill to give you that warm fuzzy security blanket feeling huh?

You should have seen the bigass UNI filters I had on my BST.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:00 AM   #33
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf
See, I'm the oposite, using the clutch is no worries, but the BST is what annoys me. I just had my suspension re sprung and re valved so that should reduce the bog a bit (hopefully), and lowering the float level lower will hopefully eliminate it.
rjf,

I have a thought, if you can't get "The Phantom Bog" outa your BST and you get yourself an FCR, then why don't we put this baby to bed and you send your bogging BST to Creeper? I would be willing to contribute to shipping costs if Creeper is interested in analyzing your carb

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:28 PM   #34
Flyin Brian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Thanks for the post Creeper. I'm curious as to how the FCR responds to altitude changes. I know you really won't be able to go very high in elevation this time of year, but could you report back once you do get up in elevation? I've been thinking about the FCR switch as well, but I ride anywhere from 2000' to 7500' in a day. I remember hearing that the FCR doesn't cope well with elevation changes.
Flyin Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:03 AM   #35
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
rjf,

I have a thought, if you can't get "The Phantom Bog" outa your BST and you get yourself an FCR, then why don't we put this baby to bed and you send your bogging BST to Creeper? I would be willing to contribute to shipping costs if Creeper is interested in analyzing your carb
Yeah that could happen.

Lattest update though, when putting the bike back together, I noticed the intake boot (airbox to carb) wasn't on fully.

Doesn't apear to have sucked much dust, as it was only a very small opening, at the top - hopefully there isn't much vacume there unless the slide is right up. I lost a top subframe bolt also so perhaps that (and not being done up correctly ) caused it.

But any way hitting some rough stuff that would have caused the bike to bog last ride didn't this ride. But that is probably because it was the first ride with my new suspension (revalve + respring )

But I will play with it a little bit more (can't afford FCR at the moment, so no choice really) as I don't need it sorted until I race a rallye at Easter. I am fairly sure lowering the float again will sort it out.

When I did this before it reduced it heaps, but now its back. possiblly the float tab is banding back over time ?? Its probably me ridding better now and hitting stuff harder and jumping bigger.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
Old 02-24-2007, 06:12 AM   #36
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,223
So Crepper even thanks to you, by now must be a Bunch of stock 640 carburators floating around..

how feasible and practical is to adapt this type of carbs for airhead GS dutty, or i better stay with the try and true bings...

also how much the stock go for? and were I can find some for cheap?
if they work for Pezz-Tilense.

As ussal i also apreaciate your honesty, humor and level of mecanical skill about each topic you attemp and the "you don't need this, if" aproach.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:15 AM   #37
Brian y
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Okay so this is an awesome thread, but... would a rekluse clutch maybe help the problem more. Just a thought. I have never used one, nor do I know if they make one for the 640a, but I was just curious if this would cure your woes with your left hand...maybe.

Brian y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:00 PM   #38
humdinger
bp

Oddometer: 616
[QUOTE=creeper]Installing a used 39mm FCR-MX on a ’03 640 Adventure... a bedtime story.

. BST stumbling/stuttering issues that have been reported by others.

In Western Wooooshington there are logging and fire roads that turn into jeep trials that turn into single track that turn into rabbit trials... that turn into absolutely nothing.

Jeep class trail turning into single track… Godspeed having a gravity issue.

The part where the water is… that’s the middle of the trail.

A trail about to go from wide single track to rabbit class.

By the time you find out that you’re stuck in this nothing, with dense blackberry growth on all sides… to the point where you could just get off, let go of the bike and it would only fall over about 6 inches and stop, it’s too late and turning around isn’t so much an alternative as an imperative.

All these wonderful trails are better approached with something other than the previously mentioned 'EV 400 LB'… like a KTM 200EXC, or a trials bike, or maybe even just your feet.
But… being stubborn, I prefer to throw excessively large motorized objects down a trail rather than small, light practical ones.

I'm sure there are many out there that share similar sentiments with regard to where you take the pig big, me inclusive. My BST does bog when encounting large obstacles at higher than normal speeds but I've yet to investigate any further, I just take another line.
There is something very special about taking your adventure bike out into the never-never regions. Most of my riding pals ride RFS' and are blown away where the big pig goes. More power to us! .
Old 02-24-2007, 07:12 PM   #39
retroone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
So Crepper even thanks to you, by now must be a Bunch of stock 640 carburators floating around..

how feasible and practical is to adapt this type of carbs for airhead GS dutty, or i better stay with the try and true bings...

also how much the stock go for? and were I can find some for cheap?
if they work for Pezz-Tilense.

As ussal i also apreaciate your honesty, humor and level of mecanical skill about each topic you attemp and the "you don't need this, if" aproach.
I have a donner n/c you pay shipping.
retroone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:33 PM   #40
retroone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf
Yeah that could happen.

Lattest update though, when putting the bike back together, I noticed the intake boot (airbox to carb) wasn't on fully.

Doesn't apear to have sucked much dust, as it was only a very small opening, at the top - hopefully there isn't much vacume there unless the slide is right up. I lost a top subframe bolt also so perhaps that (and not being done up correctly ) caused it.

But any way hitting some rough stuff that would have caused the bike to bog last ride didn't this ride. But that is probably because it was the first ride with my new suspension (revalve + respring )

But I will play with it a little bit more (can't afford FCR at the moment, so no choice really) as I don't need it sorted until I race a rallye at Easter. I am fairly sure lowering the float again will sort it out.

When I did this before it reduced it heaps, but now its back. possiblly the float tab is banding back over time ?? Its probably me ridding better now and hitting stuff harder and jumping bigger.
My BST POS BOG is totaly gone after installing FCR39. So many woops the first day after the install I broke one foot peg bolt. Drilled out and replaced
with ACE Hardware bolt and hit the woops the next day still no bog at all.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:50 AM   #41
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,137
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:57 AM   #42
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroone
I have a donner n/c you pay shipping.
What are you Kiddig me...

Teash you get shipping and dinner ad a Movie..

just let me know were to send you the casholla

Thank you, I promise I will go to a good home
Old 02-25-2007, 05:49 AM   #43
retroone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
What are you Kiddig me...

Teash you get shipping and dinner ad a Movie..

just let me know were to send you the casholla

Thank you, I promise I will go to a good home
PM me where to send
Old 02-27-2007, 09:49 AM   #44
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoho
I noticed some bogging with my HSR42 the last time I was out. I hadn't ridden it in a while and I think the carb went to crap.
Yesterday I fitted my old BST40 to the bike and removed the HSR42. Yeah the 42 was pretty fouled up. The a/p was squirting off in multiple directions, none of which correct. That explains the bog I felt on my last ride. I'll have to inspect it later to see what clogged it up.

Anyways, got the BST40 on, installed the dial-a-jet. My throttle cables didn't fit! Argh. I have bar risers, and the stockers were good with the HSR42 but not with the BST40. I did manage to do some snaking of the cables underneath and was able to get it working, but only with my smaller tank. Will have to make some longer cables or something.

Maybe I will be able to ride it this weekend! Still have electricals (cleaning & mounting O2 equip), coolant cleaning (kinda crusty in there), and exhaust seals (I'm going to try a mix of "the right stuff" and graphite tape). Hmm wait, I still have to check for carb leaks. Lemme go start that process.
potatoho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #45
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoho
My throttle cables didn't fit! Argh. I have bar risers, and the stockers were good with the HSR42 but not with the BST40. I did manage to do some snaking of the cables underneath and was able to get it working, but only with my smaller tank. Will have to make some longer cables or something.
Have you tried rotating the Throttle twist grip housing around so where the cables enter is toward thr rear / bottom rather than the top ?