User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,545
My new 950

Just to keep Powerslider happy, here is a pic of my (new to me) 06 950A.

Picked it up in San Diego Friday where it had been sitting for the past month, rode it back to Portland. Nice ride up Hwy-1, man it was toasty warm in Santa Cruz when I got there. Good weather up over Sisykou Pass also, didn't hit any rain till North of Roseburg.

The SW-Motech crash bars had been sitting in a box back home, threw them on when I got back. Not sure what I think so far, the bend on the right side by the footpeg is really damn annoying. No clue why they did it like this.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:10 PM   #2
powerslider
SUA* SPONTE

Oddometer: 149
New Scoot

About damn time. You will love it
Old 02-20-2007, 08:17 PM   #3
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,502
Sweet mount

DW
Old 02-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #4
RECON
Guit Sum

Oddometer: 744
Very nice! Congrats!

used to's: '08 Kawasaki KLR650, '97 Honda ST1100, '03 Honda XR650R, '04 KTM 950 Adventure, '04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, '03 Kawasaki Meanstreak, 19?? Yamaha XT600, 19?? Kawasaki GPZ550, 19?? Honda Twinstar200

IBA# 39329
RECON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:18 PM   #5
tmh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
They are just so PURDY aren't they? I could look at them all day long. Only thing better than looking is RIDING, though.

So nice that you already have the steering damper installed on the bike. Don't you just love it when the PO farkles a bike so nicely before they sell it to you? Now all you need is some real dirt-worthy rubber on her. Not only does it improve the off road capabilities, but it also serves to discourage squidly tendencies on the street. Helps in preventing the receipt of too many "performance awards."

Congrats,
Tom
Old 02-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmh
So nice that you already have the steering damper installed on the bike. Don't you just love it when the PO farkles a bike so nicely before they sell it to you? Now all you need is some real dirt-worthy rubber on her.

Congrats,
Tom
It came with a spare set of Woody's wheels (2.5" rear IIRC, the Baja setup). I think they have like 20 miles on them. In two minds whether to keep them or sell them. I have 2 sets of wheels already for my SXC (cush rear for dual-sport, OEM for dirt). Not sure if I want two sets for the 9fiddly too. I've got two sets for my SuperHawk too, one for street, one for track days. Oh well, when the FBI comes calling I can baracade myself in behind all these rims.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:19 PM   #7
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
It came with a spare set of Woody's wheels (2.5" rear IIRC, the Baja setup). I think they have like 20 miles on them. In two minds whether to keep them or sell them.
OOOOOH. Please PM me if you want to sell it,

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:10 PM   #8
SGB
Learning Always

Oddometer: 259
Nice

I like the setup.... FMF pipes, Touratech bash plate, Scotts Damper. Wish you many happy miles!! Is there a reason for the missing front sprocket cover?
www.countrytrax.co.za
SGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:29 PM   #9
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGB
Is there a reason for the missing front sprocket cover?
I left the sprocket cover in San Diego. I bought some KTM SuperEnduro frame guards from ktmtwins and took them down on the plane with me. The left side replaces the sprocket cover. When I got home I started to put on the SW Motech crash guards and realized that they go thru the swingarm bolt, of course the ktmtwins kit uses a threaded insert that you drive into the swingarm bolt. One or the other but not both.

Right now I just used a washer and a long 5mm bolt to mount the rear of the sw motech guard onto the threaded inserts so I could see if I liked them. After I made a new spacer for the right side the bend isn't as annoying as it used to be, the stock SW Motech right side spacer is 30mm which is way too long and really interferes with foot placement.

Friend is bringing all the other parts up from San Diego this week. I doubt I can pull the inserts out using a socket and the 5mm fine pitch bolt (I'll try but I'll bet it'll strip) so I'm guessing I'll need to drill them out :-(

Then I can put back on the original sprocket cover. Glad you asked?????

TOURATECH: anyone have a set of their frame guards? If so I'll buy them off you. Or trade for the KTM frame guards (you don't need the stupid threaded inserts, most folks just use a piece of rubber which is what I should have done).

crazybrit screwed with this post 02-21-2007 at 11:58 PM
Old 03-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #10
Killer Whale KTM
Life is the adventure!

Oddometer: 712
Pissed

Crazybrit,
I'm sorry it took so long to reply but I am NOT a whiz on this damn computer !! Cutting and re-welding will require lots of holding up to bike , marking and grinding.A white out marker ( office type ) works great !! If I remember correctly, I cut the "tab" off the end, then cut the bar 5or6 inch's from the end,then rotated it before welding, then cut some off at the proper angle then welded tab back on.I was going to put this in a PM but I don't think you can attach images there.
Good Luck
Killer Whale KTM

Uhhhhh Can't seem to re-size image to post....any ideas ??
Old 03-01-2007, 11:26 AM   #11
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Whale KTM
Crazybrit,
I'm sorry it took so long to reply but I am NOT a whiz on this damn computer !! Cutting and re-welding will require lots of holding up to bike , marking and grinding.A white out marker ( office type ) works great !! If I remember correctly, I cut the "tab" off the end, then cut the bar 5or6 inch's from the end,then rotated it before welding, then cut some off at the proper angle then welded tab back on.I was going to put this in a PM but I don't think you can attach images there.
Good Luck
Killer Whale KTM

GOT Photoshop?
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:05 PM   #12
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

SW Motech (sw-motech)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Whale KTM
Crazybrit,
Good Luck
Killer Whale KTM

Send them to me, I can resize and host. PM me for e-mail. Perhaps the info can get put into the index thread, as the guards are really good in terms of protection.

I junked the supplied 30mm spacer and made a ~20mm one (just long enough that the guard tab doesn't actually touch the frame) and it's a lot better but even after this the right guard is further out from the bodywork than the left one so there is room to bring it in but it'll require cutting.

I'd read people saying it was mostly a problem for people 6'2" and over. I'm only 5'10" (29" inseam) and found it very annoying when going for the rear brake. I asked SW Motech about it and they claimed I was the first person to ever have an issue with it. They also said _quote_ "We will construct a new version, better in all points. It will take until 2008". Odd as I thought I'd heard there was a new design for the 990 coming out, maybe it's not that much of a redesign and it'll still have the annoying bend :(

Indeed, as you say, tab need to be removed. Then you need to bring the guard in about 1/2" and rotate the bend upwards. I wasn't sure if the pipe could actually be heated and bent but it sounds like cutting it in two place may be the only option.

Still, shouldn't need to do any of this, it was most definately 4:20 in the factory when they designed these.