User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2003, 07:19 AM   #1
J-Dash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
About the windscreen situation on some bikes

I hear a lot of people complaining about the buffeting the stock V-Strom shield throws at your head. Instead of getting a taller windscreen, or putting some of those nasty (IMO) wind-deflector attachments on it...what would it hurt just to say, maybe trim it to half its height?

I personally don't like being behind a big screen because it makes my perforated gear pointless. I prefer a constant wind hitting most of my upper body over the blast just hitting my head. So what would you guys think about trimming the V-Strom stock shield close to level with the upper fairing. Of course it would be done in a way to not look bad! But I hear a lot of the GS'ers here getting big windscreens and deflectors, where as my friend with his GS just uses a tiny windscreen so he's evenly hit on his upper body to wear it doesn't bother his head. What do you guys think? Is there a shield you can buy for the Strom that's small, or would the stock just have to be modified? I could've sworn in all the reviews I've read I saw a dark screen on a Strom that's level with the upper fairing.

J-Dash
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
J-Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 07:38 AM   #2
fastraveller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Shielded

A V-strom owner shortened their windshield after they bought a larger aftermarket windshield. They figured that it would give them the best of both worlds for all seasons. I recall that the shortened screen did exactly what you suspected in that it gave them an even flow over their upper body and virtually eliminated buffeting. It would probably work well for you. You'll probably want a larger screen for longer trips during the cooler parts of the year though. Cee Baily's are most popular but now I understand that GIVI has a nice one for the V-strom.
fastraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 08:55 AM   #3
J-Dash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, I would think that the short screen would be the way to go, at least for me. But your probably right in that we would want a taller screen during the winter to know away a lot of the cold air.

J-Dash
Old 07-10-2003, 09:14 AM   #4
tokenboy
Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
I canme to riding the Strom from sportbikes. I'm 6'2" and the wind on the Strom does not bother me. With the stock screen, it hits mid chest.

The only buffeting that bothers me is in strong cross winds that hit you at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions.

I think a lot of the guys that complain on the Strom are used to riding more touring orientated bikes that offer a lot of wind protection, and when they get on the Strom, the little wind they get bothers them big time.

My thoughts anyways.

Zero Gravity just came out with 3 screens for the Strom...tasty looking in the light smoke!
Old 07-10-2003, 09:19 AM   #5
J-Dash OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pissed Damn, the link won't work!

Well, I found the link I was looking for but now it doesn't work!! Does this link work for any of you?

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/etotman/l.../custom+screen

I found it at
http://stromtrooper.com/links.htm

its under the yellow text that says "Links as posted on the VStrom2 site"

it's the 3rd link down, here's the description...it's exactly what I'm talking about...

"#1152 custom screen
Custom short screen made of smoked lexan
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/etotman/l.../custom+screen"

J-Dash
Old 07-10-2003, 03:04 PM   #6
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,149
Jordan, keep in mind that on the Strom you will sitting much more upright than on your R1, so you may in fact want a little more coverage than you are thinking now. Only one way to find out: Go buy yerself the Strom and start experimentin'!

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote