Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
ADVcat OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
TW200 vs XT225 vs DR200

ADVcat's first post!!

Looking for some professional or not so professional opinons on these 3 bikes. Im a new rider (very new, less than 10 hrs seat time), female, height challenged at 5'4, 40 something. Just started on my SO's (ehatcher) XR250. He claims I STOLE it from him, but I am merely BORROWING it. I love the sure footedness of this bike, but it is just too tall for me. The kick start is somewhat of a nuisence for me, due to how high the bike is. Eric is a trooper when I drop the bike or stall it, he's always right there to start her up for me. Don't feel comfy taking it out solo because I feel I need a baby sitter to help me start it and pick it up. For now looking to do local riding and off road (Pine Barrens). Learning in a field where we live. Planning on taking the MSF course ASAP.

Did a google search of the site, and read the relevant posts, but still undecided.

TW200-seat height perfect! most comfortable of all 3. The only one that made me smile when I looked at it with those big tires. It has FUN written all over it. Concerned about top speed, and the few posts that mentioned it may have piggish handling with the big tires.

XT225-again perfect height. Like the 6 speed. Will it be as surefooted like the XR? (such as not being squirrley when riding thru ruts)

DR200-tallest of the 3 but still ok. Bigger tank, longer range. Most expensive of the 3. How does this bike handle compared to the 225?

I don't feel I can go really wrong with any of these bikes, but any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Deb
ADVcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
goblin
pig rider

Oddometer: 371
Someone I work with has one of those tw 200 and seems to like it very well. Had to gear it up a bit to use for commuting to work on,but other than that seems to be very happy with it. I don't see how you could go wrong. I don't think its something you would want to jump with,but other than that it seems rock solid. Good luck!
Old 02-24-2007, 05:29 PM   #3
crushingchestpain
Banned

Oddometer: 382
Xt

Rode mine on the Front Range today.Great little bike!!!
crushingchestpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:32 PM   #4
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
Tw200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVcat
...TW200-seat height perfect! most comfortable of all 3. The only one that made me smile when I looked at it with those big tires. It has FUN written all over it. Concerned about top speed, and the few posts that mentioned it may have piggish handling with the big tires...
ADVcat - You've done your homework well!

FYI, Ms. levity previously owned a DR200 and a CRF230, has ridden an XT225, and now owns a TW200. She likes the TW best by far - fun and confidence inspiring. The low seat and center of gravity make it easy to ride, and even though she's 5'6" she shaved an inch out of the seat foam. The fat tires may be "pigish" for racers, but they REALLY help trail riders in sand, mud, rocks and water crossings.

She put a smaller sprocket on the rear to spread and raise the gears. She can still go at walking speed in technical stuff but can cruise on the pavement at 60-65 mph (none of the small bikes are very stable at any higher speeds).

here's a pic on easy stuff..

and another that would have had her worried on a bike with "skinny" tires:

levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:32 PM   #5
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,108
I think you will find some humerous yet informative information on the TW 200.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193253

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205682

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,649
Advcat,

During the course of your searches, did you come across Lois on the Loose and her XT225?

http://www.loisontheloose.com/america/index.html

I think of the bikes you mentioned, the XT225 is the best all-around bike for you. (darn, it's hard to say that when I like my DR200 so much)

Hmm, you're 5' 4", maybe the TW200 is better for off-road for you. But the XT is a better road bike.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:50 PM   #7
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Don't forget to join us on the Minimalist Tourer thread too.

steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:57 PM   #8
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 876
levity-

you had a chance to take that TW200 down the Split Mountain pass and the squeeze like the other bikes?

when u getting that drz400 out?
Old 02-24-2007, 06:06 PM   #9
Scottysix9
Shhh...

Oddometer: 918
Buy the bike that you feel most comfortable on.

If they can't hear you, they won't know you're there.
Scottysix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:11 PM   #10
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,005
The XT225 gets a lot of respect for its offroad ability and the tubeless rear tire makes flats less of a hassle.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:19 PM   #11
kellyk7
Who knows

Oddometer: 1,746
One Question, the tree bikes listed are "been-there, get-there" bikes, what I mean is they have a reputation for having been there, they are all old technology that is well tested and well proven, they will get you there for the most part any time every time, but whaat they bring to the party in reliability they leave behind the performance.

My Question is this, how much of the punch of that XR250 are you likeing if it seems too much for your taste then these might be your bikes, if it is just right or leaving you wanting more right twist, then your not looking in the right area.

If height is all that turns you away about the 250 then look at a lowering link, sag the back a bit and buy a short seat.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It is about learning how to dance in the rain" - HAWK
kellyk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:39 PM   #12
AZstrommer
Long may she wave!

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
The XT225 gets a lot of respect for its offroad ability and the tubeless rear tire makes flats less of a hassle.

Not the one I had...

We can't negate who we are, who we were, what we've done. Who we've loved, who we've hurt. Part of our human fabric. Who are are. I am the sum of all I have done before. I am imperfect, I am flawed. I am, however, aware of that. I desire happiness, I long for joy, always knowing the price, the balance. - Sabre
AZstrommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:23 PM   #13
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstrommer

Not the one I had...
Looks like Yamaha's bean counters shortchanged the US market. It came that way in Japan.

Fwiw, the XT225 was replaced a couple years back with the XT250 over here. Maybe Yamaha will export it to the US some day.

2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:29 PM   #14
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
Looks like Yamaha's bean counters shortchanged the US market. It came that way in Japan.
All the cool stuff they won't let us have in the US. There's the Suzuki Freewind we can't get here, either.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:33 PM   #15
TomN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,503
Yea Deb is posting now and riding! Can't wait to do some trips. Can you talk to my wife, I cannot get her to go near any bike let alone on of her own lol.

I am no expert but I would think the 225 would be better, I lot of the rides we go on are a bit of a distance, the TW my be too lacking in top speed.
TomN is offline   Reply With Quote