Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2007, 08:38 PM   #16
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomN
Yea Deb is posting now and riding! Can't wait to do some trips. Can you talk to my wife, I cannot get her to go near any bike let alone on of her own lol.

I am no expert but I would think the 225 would be better, I lot of the rides we go on are a bit of a distance, the TW my be too lacking in top speed.
These guys sure took the TW200 on a long road trip:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205682

Maybe it's a better road bike than we think.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:00 PM   #17
ehatcher
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomN
Yea Deb is posting now and riding! Can't wait to do some trips. Can you talk to my wife, I cannot get her to go near any bike let alone on of her own lol.

I am no expert but I would think the 225 would be better, I lot of the rides we go on are a bit of a distance, the TW my be too lacking in top speed.
I suspect it is going to be a year or two before she joins us on any trips, if ever. For the moment she is interested in offroad and maybe a little local around the block jaunt. If she were intent on joining us the 225 would likely be her choice hands down...I am a bit partial to that bike myself. On the other hand, that TW looks FUN.........

Whatever her choice turns out to be you will have to stop by and play...ahhhh...test it out for her, yeah thats it.....help me test it out

Eric
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:35 AM   #18
ADVcat OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
I think of the bikes you mentioned, the XT225 is the best all-around bike for you. (darn, it's hard to say that when I like my DR200 so much)

Hmm, you're 5' 4", maybe the TW200 is better for off-road for you. But the XT is a better road bike.
Klay,
Just curious, why don't you recommend the DR200? In fact, it seems that not many people have mentioned this bike at all. It doesnt seem that different than the 225 other than the larger tank and 5 speed tranny.

Deb
ADVcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:40 AM   #19
ADVcat OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
Maybe it's a better road bike than we think.
Klay,
I read the whole thread and you may be right, it just might be better on road than some people give it credit for.

Deb
Old 02-25-2007, 05:05 AM   #20
ADVcat OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by levity
She likes the TW best by far - fun and confidence inspiring.. The fat tires may be "pigish" for racers, but they REALLY help trail riders in sand, mud, rocks and water crossings.
levity,
From the looks of the trail riding Ms levity is doing, I guess its safe to say the TW200 is the "mountain goat" of dual sport bikes. Was also glad to read that it gave her confidence. This is what i'm looking for. A bike that I feel comfortable enough on to push the envelope a little bit. Dont think I will be doing any kind of racing so i'm not to concerned about the pigish ride. Thanks for the input and pics.

Deb
Old 02-25-2007, 05:05 AM   #21
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVcat
Klay,
Just curious, why don't you recommend the DR200? In fact, it seems that not many people have mentioned this bike at all. It doesnt seem that different than the 225 other than the larger tank and 5 speed tranny.

Deb
Don't forget the smaller motor.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:29 AM   #22
TomN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,503
I have the Dual Sport News that reviews the TW and XT, I can't scan it at work but I can bring it over or copy it and mail to you.

IMHO The problem I see with with the DR200 is it is not as much fun as the TW off-road and not as good a road bike as the XT, kind of the worst of both worlds.

I think the best part of the XT is it allows you do many more different kinds of riding than the DR or TW, you don't know what you are going to be doing in the next few years.

Looking foward to some local rides!
TomN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:28 AM   #23
wide open
in second gear

Oddometer: 353
I have an XT with 1.5 miles on it! Between freezing temps and breaking my collarbone (on a WR450 in Baja), I've only had the chance to ride it from the dealer's lot on to my trailer!

I considered the same three bikes. FWIW, some of my purchase considerations were:

1) TW and DR 10% less displacement.

2) XT considerably lighter than DR.

3) XT has 6 spd, with very low 1st gear for trail use.

4) XT owners have great web site for support / questions, etc. (www.xt225.com)

5) Fat tires on TW surely suck some performance (which even ladies will want sooner or later somewhere - guaranteed), and if you get into a tight spot in mud or sand - especially if you're going slow, those fat tires look to me like they'd be a disadvantage for quick and accurate turning. (Probably someone will dispute that.)

But like someone else said - any of the three will be fun city - just pick the one that makes your heart glad!
Wear good gear and have fun!
wide open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:39 AM   #24
dsgrntld

Oddometer: n/a
I love the TW. I took the MSF beginer course on this bike and it rides so nicely you would think that you were on training wheels. It is like a tractor. My friend in Maine uses it for everything. From checking traps in lots of snow - to motoring up to his fishing hole. Great bike.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:14 AM   #25
Will LC8
I stubbed my toe

Oddometer: 587
I've ridden both the XT and the TW and both will be down on power big time compared to the XR250. The suspension on both is a long way off an XR as well. Riderchick just bought a TW and since she's ridden with Eric I'm sure I can talk her into letting you try the TW if you want to take a trip down here and sit on one first hand. Hell she let me ride it and I took it on a old enduro race course a few weeks ago and bent the hell out of the shifter. You have to ride the TW sitting down at least I do. When standing the bars are way to low to inspire confidence. I didn't notice any ill effects in handling due to the tire but I only rode it about 40 miles. It is down on power but I'm a majorly fat SOB so this may not be as noticable for some one lighter. I couldn't climb hills in anything higher than first gear.

Will

Quote:
ADVcat's first post!!

Looking for some professional or not so professional opinons on these 3 bikes. Im a new rider (very new, less than 10 hrs seat time), female, height challenged at 5'4, 40 something. Just started on my SO's (ehatcher) XR250. He claims I STOLE it from him, but I am merely BORROWING it. I love the sure footedness of this bike, but it is just too tall for me. The kick start is somewhat of a nuisence for me, due to how high the bike is. Eric is a trooper when I drop the bike or stall it, he's always right there to start her up for me. Don't feel comfy taking it out solo because I feel I need a baby sitter to help me start it and pick it up. For now looking to do local riding and off road (Pine Barrens). Learning in a field where we live. Planning on taking the MSF course ASAP.

Did a google search of the site, and read the relevant posts, but still undecided.

TW200-seat height perfect! most comfortable of all 3. The only one that made me smile when I looked at it with those big tires. It has FUN written all over it. Concerned about top speed, and the few posts that mentioned it may have piggish handling with the big tires.

XT225-again perfect height. Like the 6 speed. Will it be as surefooted like the XR? (such as not being squirrley when riding thru ruts)

DR200-tallest of the 3 but still ok. Bigger tank, longer range. Most expensive of the 3. How does this bike handle compared to the 225?

I don't feel I can go really wrong with any of these bikes, but any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Deb

http://abuddyforlife.org/
Will LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:57 AM   #26
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
ADVcat

As you can see here, all three bikes have their attributes. I went thru this decision-matrix just two weeks ago for my wife. Here's what I learned

- All 3 bikes are relatively rare. Try a Crazedlist search of all cities East of the Mississippi and you'll find only a couple of each. And they DO sell quickly (and usually above 'bluebook' price), as they are in demand by folks exactly like you.

- Find the bike which is in the best shape and is closest to you. Buy it. Then ride the crap out've it. I'm not attempting humor here: I'm serious. In 6 months of riding you will change your riding tastes as your experience grows. It will become apparent which bike would be best for you (may not even be one of the three).

- If the right bike for you is NOT the one you have, remember how rare they are. Yours will sell fast. Your second purchase will be MUCH more informed than your first. As a reader of this list you'll notice most members have more than one bike. That's not coincidental. You will too, probably. This sport is THAT much fun.

- Above all it pays to remember that it is the RIDE, not the bike. Welcome to the asylum...

Coop
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:37 AM   #27
wickedsprint
Banned

Oddometer: 2,386
Quote:
ADVcat's first post!!

DR200-tallest of the 3 but still ok. Bigger tank, longer range. Most expensive of the 3.

Actually the DR200 falls midway in price between the two yamahas at 3949, and I got mine for around 3700. The XT225 and TW200 are at 4199 and 3799.

The XT225 and the DR200 also have the same seat height at 31.9"

The XT225 has a 6 speed and a bit more power, however I like how the DR200 actually has a frame below the engine, not just the skid plate like on the Yamahas, plus the fit and finish on the DR200 is actually really nice, the new TW200s I have seen all have horrible welds, metal splatter ..etc. I have not looked at an XT225 up close to see if any better. The XT225 lists at 4199, so you just need to decide if it is worth 250 bucks more.

The DR200 has been around since the mid 80s virtually unchanged, then known as the SP200, another thing I like about it, you get a brand new 80's dualsport for pretty cheap.

You also can't beat the 3.4 gallon tank it comes wit, even assuming a conservative 80mpg, that is still over a 250 mile range. Some people have reported 100mpg out of the little DRs.

wickedsprint screwed with this post 02-25-2007 at 09:42 AM
wickedsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:25 AM   #28
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
just one more opinion...

It depends WHAT YOU WANT THE BIKE FOR.

The TW (which I have never ridden) is a fun bike not any kind of performer.

We used to have a DR-200 and I was not impressed. I thought the suspension sucked off-road. It would be fine on dirt roads and local roads. There is very little aftermarket for the bike and while it has frame tubes under the engine, between the tubes is open (no bash plate). The only folks I found who had bash plates, either made 'em themselves, or had them made locally. I don't know why the DR comes with a bigger gas tank than a DRZ-400; a lot of these bikes aren't ridden much and it just means more gas gets old sitting in the tank, while very very few people actually are going to "need" 250+ mile range on a bike of this size and (low) performance.

From what we learned later, we should have gotten the XT for its somewhat better performance including somewhat better off-road suspension.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:28 AM   #29
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,119
Quote:
Klay,

Deb
Deb,

The DR200 is a great bike...I love the range it has with the big tank. I paid $3295 for it new in 2001 before tax and license. It'll buzz along at 55 okay. Once, going downhill with a tailwind, I buried the needle...something above 80 mph. Normally it'll top out at about an indicated 72 mph with me aboard, which is about 65 or so in actual speed according to my GPS. I weigh about 205 pounds.

It has also been incredibly reliable. I have 9,000 miles on it now. It has been incredibly reliable in spite of hard use. My wife got hers at the same time and now has 8,000 miles on hers. She said if she had to only have one motorcycle, she'd keep the DR200. It's her daily driver and also we've taken them touring in the Ozarks and Colorado. (having only one motorcycle is unimaginable to me, though)

Maintenance costs have been virtually nil...just oil and filters...and new rear tires. It only takes me about 20 minutes to tune up because of the screw and locknut valve adjusters.

The XT225, however, has the six speed transmission, and just a little more displacement, so I've decided it's a slightly better bike...for two or three hundred more dollars. It has a slight edge for highway riding. The difference is so slight, though that it wouldn't be worth it to me to upgrade...and anyway, I like the big tank on the DR200. I've ridden both a lot since my brother has an XT225. I don't ride fast off road or anything like that...I'm just out wandering and exploring, so suspension differences between the bikes just don't matter to me. I wouldn't use the added travel in a bike like a DRZ400, so I would just rather be closer to the ground. For me, it's the exploring and wandering, and it's not a race.

So I think overall the XT has the edge, unless the smaller gas tank puts you off. Another factor for me is the, ummm, Suzukiness of my garage...there's a herd of Suzukis out there and nothing else. When did that happen? It didn't use to be that way. I used to always have BMW or two.

We're splitting hairs discussing the fine distinctions between these bikes...all three are excellent. Maybe you would do as well to do as someone mentions above...get the one that feels best sitting on it, and that would be the TW200. But don't discount the DR200, I'm just totally in love with it. It never, ever sits unused.

Klay

Klay screwed with this post 02-25-2007 at 10:33 AM
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #30
entropysedge
chaos watcher

Oddometer: 53
I had debated between the XT225 and the TW200 a year ago and the XT won out due to it just seemed to be able to do a wider variety of things than the TW (I have a commute that involves highway speeds and the XT just seemed to be a little happier at 65mph ... actually the TW couldn't even get there or at least the one I test rode couldn't). I have taken my XT camping down in the NJ Pine Barrens, riding the fire roads and just basic errand running.

As far as seat height goes, being that the XT is so light and narrow, I was able to keep it at the stock height. Being 4'11" and not having many bikes that I can touch the ground on at the stock height is a great thing.

A photograph is the past standing still in the present
entropysedge is offline   Reply With Quote