Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #31
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,338
Actually, I would be really torn if I had to decide again, DR200 or XT225? The DR has been excellent. I took 'er out for a ride today.
Attached Images

Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:06 AM   #32
wickedsprint
Banned

Oddometer: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid
It depends WHAT YOU WANT THE BIKE FOR.

The TW (which I have never ridden) is a fun bike not any kind of performer.

A lot of these bikes aren't ridden much and it just means more gas gets old sitting in the tank, while very very few people actually are going to "need" 250+ mile range on a bike of this size and (low) performance.

This is the first time I have ever seen someone try to make a case AGAINST a larger tank from the factory...wow, you don't HAVE to fill the tank up ya know...geez
wickedsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:28 AM   #33
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:

a lot of these bikes aren't ridden much and it just means more gas gets old sitting in the tank
Wow, this is just not our experience at all with the DR200's. We use them day in, day out nine months out of the year. In terms of frequency of use, we ride them far more than our other bikes. Of course the mileage is much lower because they tend to go on shorter trips.

In fact I'm amazed at the number of duty cycles (heat up then cool off) they have been through without the slightest problem. No oil leaks, nothing. I ride into the winter if the streets are clean so the DR200 is getting started at below freezing temperatures constantly. One time I rode the ten miles home form work it was 13 degrees.

What quality and durability. Sure wish it had a six speed tranny, though. But I occassionally make good use of the range afforded by the big DR tank.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #34
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
Looks like Yamaha's bean counters shortchanged the US market. It came that way in Japan.

We don't get a rear disc either...

My wife recently got an XT225. We lowered it to make her more comfortable with it (5'0" beginner), and I have been really impressed. It cruises at 65mph pretty comfortably- at least no worse than my KLR. If you plan on doing any road riding, I'd consider the XT over the TW.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:25 PM   #35
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedsprint
This is the first time I have ever seen someone try to make a case AGAINST a larger tank from the factory...wow, you don't HAVE to fill the tank up...
If the mission doesn't call for that much fuel, why carry around the tank volume, and since none of these bikes has a gas gauge, the most reliable way to know how much fuel you have is to start with a full tank.

Why not put 5 gallon tanks on MX bikes, they don't have to fill them.

But if you have a use for a big tank like that, fine. Or DR was my wife's bike, and she wouldn't ride even half the fuel range without wanting to stop in some place and take a break. So yeah, with the big tank, she could stop at a restaurant instead of a gas station. But it was not a problem for her to stop where there was gas, and besides she was probably home already and we could fill it up from the gas can. Full tank makes it even heavier (bike is only a few pounds lighter than a DRZ-E anyway, with less than 1/2 the power) but OTOH if you're not going to fill that tank, why have it.

But like I said, if you have a use for it, fine. But I think it is highly overrated.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:55 PM   #36
motogogo66
Ohio Rider

Oddometer: 96
Xt225

My wife has an 06' XT225 and I have ridden it a few times myself. It does have the 6 speeds but the first gear is so low that if you arent doing alot of offroading you will not get good use out of the low gearing. I actually start out in 2nd gear on the street. Since she got the bike she has added a Corbin seat and rear rack to the bike. She plans on putting a front sprocket with an additional tooth on it for better highway riding to drop the engine rpm's.
When it came down to the XT225 and the DR200 it was just a personal preference with her.She actually got the XT for 4100.00 otd because it was an 06' leftover. Save the money and find an 06' whether it be the DR or whatever,they havent changed anything on these bikes but the colors over the last couple of years.
motogogo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:44 PM   #37
wickedsprint
Banned

Quote:

(bike is only a few pounds lighter than a DRZ-E anyway, with less than 1/2 the power)
Yeah about 12-13lbs lighter than a DRZ400e, but one should expect half the power from half the engine size, sort of obvious, which is why it gets fantastic fuel economy and is over a grand cheaper than the DRZ400E as well, a totally apples to oranges comparison.

I still don't think the Yamahas are built as well, and I still do not like the lack of frame under the engine, that to me is a dealbreaker in a dirtbike.

I guess I bring a Pilot's perspective to the table in that the ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

wickedsprint screwed with this post 02-25-2007 at 03:57 PM
Old 02-25-2007, 03:57 PM   #38
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Check out the swingarms...the DR has a beautiful extruded aluminum piece compared to the sloppy weld job on the XT225.

Not that it makes any practical difference.

I think the XT225 is a slightly better bike...again, not different enough to make me go to the effort of acquiring one.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:59 PM   #39
wickedsprint
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
Check out the swingarms...the DR has a beautiful extruded aluminum piece compared to the sloppy weld job on the XT225.

I think the XT225 is a slightly better bike...again, not different enough to make me go to the effort of acquiring one.

Glad someone else noticed, even the little things, like the nubs where the snail adjusters click into are nice little pieces that are screwed into a tab on the swingarm, vs some welded on little sticks on the yammies.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:02 PM   #40
wickedsprint
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay

Glad someone else noticed, even the little things, like the nubs where the snail adjusters click into are nice little pieces that are screwed into a raised section on the swingarm, vs some welded on little sticks on the yammies.

Here is a pic of the Yammie swingarm for reference, look how cheap it looks, also note the welds and general frame quailty in the pics.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #41
sandshu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Sherpa?

Tried looking into a Kawasakis super sherpa? I think they were disco'd in the us a few years ago but they are great little bikes if you in the market for second a hand bike.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #42
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Yeah, but the XT's got that six speed tranny. That's pretty sweet. I think Deb's best choice is between the XT and TW depending on how much off-road vs. highway riding she wants to do.

I want one of those TW's, too.

(not referring to the SuperSherpa here)
Old 02-25-2007, 04:07 PM   #43
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshu
Tried looking into a Kawasakis super sherpa? I think they were disco'd in the us a few years ago but they are great little bikes if you in the market for second a hand bike.
They're a little harder to tune up, because of the shim-under-bucket arrangement of the valve train. Does anyone know how tall they are? I get the impression they are a little taller.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #44
ADVcat OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshu
Tried looking into a Kawasakis super sherpa?
Any idea what's the seat height might be? I have seen pics of the super sherpa and really like the looks.

Deb
ADVcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:34 PM   #45
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Looks like the Super Sherpa seat height is eight tenths of an inch taller than the DR and XT.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kaw...herpa_2002.php