Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2009, 02:23 AM   #211
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
an ignition control module from a mid 90s volkswagen jetta works on the electronic ignition bmws.
You can use one from a Lada Samara too - you could buy a whole car for the price of a Jetta module.They have a huge heat sink too.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:03 PM   #212
mhaas
intrpd travlrwanabe

Oddometer: 184
back to brakes

Any one have or know where I can get a 81 R80 cs/gs 12mm master cylinder.
I need on to push the ATE caliper on my 76 R90/6.
Now I have a internally pitted 16mm m/c that is rock hard. I'm thinking the smaller size will work better.
mhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:02 PM   #213
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Some Guzzis have the same Brembo / Magnura combination, but with a 11 or 12mm mc.

Most brake shops can sleeve down your M.C. - maybe a Guzzi dealer can come up with the piston and seals you need.

My local home based Adelaide BMW expert , Ray Potter , had no problem suppling me with the bits for either 11mm or 12 mm cylinders and my nearest brake shop, Power Brakes, had the set up to re sleeve my 15 mm cylinder down to 11 mm.

The 11mm works perfectly with twin ATEs, good feel and power, but the choice of brake lever is critical - on some levers the nose which pushes the master cylinder is a bit longer and without it travel is excessive. I screwed a small dome head self tapping screw into mine ,and I suppose a blob of weld would do the job too, if you cant locate the correct lever.

Unfortunately Ray has retired but the parts are out there somewhere - you just got to find them.

Maybe even a BMW dealer will have them, there were some bikes with a 12mm cylinder, and they occasionally come up on German Ebay.

Beemerboff screwed with this post 06-18-2009 at 04:57 AM
Beemerboff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #214
KhaoSanMan
Airhead

Oddometer: 568
Torque Wrench 101

I'm in the market for a good torque wrench that fits my budget (under $100)

Could someone give me the run down on what would make a good wrench for working on an airhead BMW?

For instance:

Should I be looking for ft/lbs. or newton measurements?

How far should the range go for my bike ( a 95 R100GS), would 25-250lbs. be good or do I need something that can go lower?

I'm looking at this one here on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-16250...5702168&sr=1-2

but haven't really spent much time looking since I have never used a torque wrench before.

Thanks

#3 - BMW Motorrad Mull aus der Hölle
KhaoSanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #215
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
You need two - one in inch pounds for adjusting the taper bearings which reads accuratly down to 2 or 3 inch pounds and will cost an arm and a leg, and another heavier duty from where the inch pound leaves off and goes out to 120 ft lbs.
It would be good if the precission gauge goes out to 300 in/lbs so you can use it for torquing down the head too.

Most new wrenches have dual metric/ imperial scales , and most manuals give both values so no problem here, if you see a good old imperial wrench somewhere go for it.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #216
LoneLobo
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Throwout Bearing Source

Search function for this thread doesn't seem to be working. Search for Bearing finds nothing. I'm looking for a throwout bearing source for a 1979 R100T tranny. My bearing is the roller bearing type. Any ideas where to go to find one for less $$?
LoneLobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:27 AM   #217
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,204
Quote:
You can use one from a Lada Samara too - you could buy a whole car for the price of a Jetta module.
I paid $20 for it new but that's aftermarket. OEM from VW was over $100.

I've never heard of a Lada Samara. Maybe something not sold in the states?

In any case, if you're in the US and need one almost any auto parts store oughta have it. Take the part with ya and find one that looks like the plug would fit.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #218
eng42
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
rearsets for R100RS

Looking for a seat for a R100Rs, also looking for rear sets and bar backs for the same bike.Any ideas where to start looking?

I have a nice set of rearsets that I just took off of my '82 R100RS. The PO had them on, but my ancient knees don't bend far enough and I had to go back to the stockers (actually, whatever was in the box of extra parts--might be the stockers).

PM me or email at jess@davisprecisiondesign.com if you are interested in them.

Thanks
'82 BMW R100RS (sold!)
'72 Husqvarna CR400
eng42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:47 PM   #219
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneLobo
Search function for this thread doesn't seem to be working. Search for Bearing finds nothing. I'm looking for a throwout bearing source for a 1979 R100T tranny. My bearing is the roller bearing type. Any ideas where to go to find one for less $$?
Try Hucky: good personal service, best prices and genuine oem replacements all in one package:

This page for the throwout bearing. $27.25 for the needle bearing, which replaced the roller bearing (?).... at any rate, a call to Hucky with your question will get you his advice and the right part.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #220
kaptnken
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Exhaust crossover pipe replacement

Been lurking here for a while but never posted till now. And that's thanks to the tip on the Stant flasher relay since the one on my '78 R80/7 went belly-up. Tried to get an OEM part but they must be made of unobtainium.

Anyway, since I used a tip, figured that I'd return one. The crossover pipe on my exhaust rusted out and somehow I just couldn't see paying $60 or so for basically a 12 inch shiny tube. Ok, so it has clamps built on each end...big deal. A little measuring...hmmm, looks like something with an inside diameter of about 30mm should do the trick. Off to the hardware store I go. Did you know that a 1 1/4 inch chrome bathroom drain pipe in 20 gauge (not 17 gauge...there are 2 different sizes) has an inside I.D. of 30mm? Cut to length, put a couple of slots on each end, apply 2 hose clamps and voila! Perfect fit! Leak free! I've been running that pipe for a couple months now with no problems and the chrome has not blued one bit. And all for the grand total of about $6! At that price, even if it lasts only a couple of years, I figure I'm ahead of the game.

kaptnken screwed with this post 07-27-2009 at 02:07 PM
kaptnken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #221
kaptnken
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Voltage Regulator Replacement

Almost forgot this...got a replacement voltage regulator for the R80/7 by taking the old one to the auto parts store and having them cross reference the number. Turns out it's a stock VW regulator, about $15.

Didn't save the box it came it as this was a year or so ago but I just took the original to my local Auto Zone and had them match the part number on the original. And unfortunately, the replacement doesn't seem to have much in the way of markings as seen below.

kaptnken screwed with this post 07-27-2009 at 02:11 PM
kaptnken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #222
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,509
Replacement bumpers for under seats and perhaps tool boxes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #223
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 2,996
Thanks Lobo!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #224
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptnken
Almost forgot this...got a replacement voltage regulator for the R80/7 by taking the old one to the auto parts store and having them cross reference the number. Turns out it's a stock VW regulator, about $15.

We need part numbers and pics for this please.

Solo. Added.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #225
RomaDakota
29th scroll, 6th ver

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
I've never heard of a Lada Samara. Maybe something not sold in the states?
Not in US, but good to know for your next ride to Russia!