Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #301
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Fram filter for many airheads. Nice price and shipping.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...15-CH6061-4552
I've gotten auto parts from these guys half a dozen times before and so far they've been a real class act with about the lowest prices on the net.
The filter is one piece. Costs 6.75. 67.50 for ten of them. 7.54 shipping. 75.14 total.

I found the link for the HiFlo oil filters on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=360293134581
4.21 to ship one unit. I sent an email to confirm a bulk rate for shipping. Without that, the price is a lot less attractive. That puts the price about even with Rock Auto for the Fram.
..postscript... i just clicked through a purchase of 10 filters and the shipping came to 42.10!!!! why the heck do so many ebay vendors do this stuff? They may often just be middlemen who don't physically pack the stuff so cannot pass along savings on bulk orders. But whatever the case, it's pretty irritating to be lured by a great price just to find the shipping wipes out any savings.

OEM is 21 Dollars at the dealer. He said they don't supply the one piece unit any more, only the two piece hinged models. I prefer the single piece since it's more filter media and fewer seals and kinks to possibly cause a problem (peace of mind). I was a little put off by the cost (tho i've actually seen higher) and the parts guy said that they have been unable to source a lower cost alternative unit despite searching.

I checked AutoZone. They list the Fram but cannot even special order it. I went to NAPA just down the street. They actually had two filters in stock! I was pretty surprised. It's not the PS4946 as indicated in the chart in this thread. It's a PS4945, and it was 11 dollars. A two piece that looks (for what that's worth) identical to the OEM unit. I bought one to get me by for now.
http://www.napafilters.com/filterlookup/motorcycle.asp
(clic on the hyperlink under part #)

svejkovat screwed with this post 09-01-2010 at 05:48 PM
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #302
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,299
The Hi flow guy will ship ten ($38-) to Oz for $27-w hich makes them $6.50 each in Oz, but I still need O rings, shims and crush washers.

I will add them to my next order to Motobins.

Need pivot pins and bearings for the Paralever anyway.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #303
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
I'm hearing stories of aftermarket single piece cartridges collapsing under pressure from the oil pump when the oil is very cold. Flimsy media.

Apocrypha? (just when the search seems ended....god deliver us)

Ok. Dispatches from the latest focus of my OCD. This week it's oil filters. You benefit by my agony.

I installed the NAPA filter. And being OCD I decided to superglue the faces of the hinged plastic divider together so that I could be certain, while riding, that the damn thing didn't get installed crooked and leaving a gap in the middle (it's possible, believe me). I put it together, replaced the oring and gasket and started to install and something seemed amiss.

So I removed the filter and compared it to the old one and it's between 3/16 and 1/4 inch longer. The fittings at each end are very hard rubber as well (won't compress easily). What this suggests is that it would work, if I screwed down on the three face bolts hard enough. But the flange of the face plate is about 3/8 thick aluminum and I could just see it bending on me. Spare me the "told you you get what you pay for" rub just yet. So I won't get the NAPA one again.

The rubber end was hard enough to bring 3/16 off of it on the belt sander and all went well after that. As far as the pleats collapsing under the pressure of the oil pump, well this one is immune since it is barrelled inside with perf metal... as I'm pretty sure all, even the single piece aftermarked jobs, are. So I believe the collapsing stories are a little suspicious.

svejkovat screwed with this post 09-02-2010 at 06:28 PM
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #304
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by svejkovat
I'm hearing stories of aftermarket single piece cartridges collapsing under pressure from the oil pump when the oil is very cold. Flimsy media.

Apocrypha? (just when the search seems ended....god deliver us)

Ok. Dispatches from the latest focus of my OCD. This week it's oil filters. You benefit by my agony.

I installed the NAPA filter. And being OCD I decided to superglue the faces of the hinged plastic divider together so that I could be certain, while riding, that the damn thing didn't get installed crooked and leaving a gap in the middle (it's possible, believe me). I put it together, replaced the oring and gasket and started to install and something seemed amiss.

So I removed the filter and compared it to the old one and it's between 3/16 and 1/4 inch longer. The fittings at each end are very hard rubber as well (won't compress easily). What this suggests is that it would work, if I screwed down on the three face bolts hard enough. But the flange of the face plate is about 3/8 thick aluminum and I could just see it bending on me. Spare me the "told you you get what you pay for" rub just yet. So I won't get the NAPA one again.

The rubber end was hard enough to bring 3/16 off of it on the belt sander and all went well after that. As far as the pleats collapsing under the pressure of the oil pump, well this one is immune since it is barrelled inside with perf metal... as I'm pretty sure all, even the single piece aftermarked jobs, are. So I believe the collapsing stories are a little suspicious.
I wouldn't count on it. Check the base of the central tube for an old filter seal that may have gotten lost down there.

If you do the math on the various per mile costs of owning and running your bike, even expensive filters are the smallest of them all, by a good margin. Your smallest expense is oil filters. I did this in a thread awhile back. May redo it and put it on my blog someday.

Another way to look at it: you rarely get out of a decent lunch on the road for less than $15-20. Even the worst of the fast food joints are gonna run you $8-10. I hit supermarkets and eat like a king down in the park for $6. But with a group people want to stop at some cafe and most of them don't know how to get a good lunch out of a supermarket anyway and it's a hassle and they want to sit and socialize and be waited on---$20. I coulda bought a factory oil change kit with all new gaskets and a Knetch filter.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #305
dfsavgny
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldust
I have asked Motobins and they can not get the 1977 model one's in Blue. Looks like I will have to get them made.

Not blue also

http://marketplace.ibmwr.org/ads/view/id/178983
dfsavgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:28 PM   #306
bikecat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305
I think it's time I collect all the parts info from this thread and the Tips & Tricks thread and prepare a list of alternative parts numbers that are available from auto parts stores and stash it in the tool bag. Then when something goes south on the road, I'll have the info readily at hand.

To the mod, possible that we have a sticky first post consolidating the pearls of wisdom that we have here?

Cheers
bikecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #307
SteedstER
Smells like fire

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfsavgny

I have a vinyl plotter. I can hook you up. I do custom decals for all sorts of applications and I also do hand lettering
SteedstER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #308
durtwurm
Talented Amateur

Oddometer: 4,409
This is probably listed somewhere else in this thread, but do not, I repeat, do not buy and install BMW points and condensers of Chinese manufacture! You're throwing away your money if you do and, even worse, creating headaches on the road.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:54 AM   #309
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,784
Any lead / links on cheap bright globes for the R80G/S.

Also cheap but effective low drainage spotlights to wire into the stock G/S electrics?

Ta
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #310
JMforPres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan
Any lead / links on cheap bright globes for the R80G/S.

Also cheap but effective low drainage spotlights to wire into the stock G/S electrics?

Ta
Try LED lights

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607184

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513837
JMforPres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #311
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Decals 4 Bmw

someone was looking for BLUE 1000cc stickers.
This is the guy on EbaY that I buy mine from. no affiliation, just a good deal.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-S...item4cee60b660

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #312
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,082
wtb

Looking for a set of big valve R100 heads....pm me.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #313
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog
Looking for a set of big valve R100 heads....pm me.
you might get better responses if you list it in the flea market section.
Also had good luck with the Marketplace at IBMWR.

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 12-17-2010, 07:03 AM   #314
CurlyMike
Formerly SaddleSoar

Oddometer: 973
Diaphrams

(From Bam Bam, that hasnt been on the forum for years...) You can get a "beefier" diaphragm from stromburg carbs as replacement for the bings. The carbs in question are the CD150 and CD175 for the 32mm and 40mm Bings. From Moss Motors, the part numbers are 365-320 and 366-040. They are $20.10 each for the CD150 and $3.95 for the CD175.

I dont see a reference to the CD numbers, maybe thats the model number of the actual carbs. Sure look like they would work. Save a huge amount on 40mm. Has anyone tried these?

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewP...0&SortOrder=12
Old 12-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #315
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyMike View Post
(From Bam Bam, that hasnt been on the forum for years...) You can get a "beefier" diaphragm from stromburg carbs as replacement for the bings. The carbs in question are the CD150 and CD175 for the 32mm and 40mm Bings. From Moss Motors, the part numbers are 365-320 and 366-040. They are $20.10 each for the CD150 and $3.95 for the CD175.

I dont see a reference to the CD numbers, maybe thats the model number of the actual carbs. Sure look like they would work. Save a huge amount on 40mm. Has anyone tried these?

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewP...0&SortOrder=12
People have been talking about them for years, but I don't recall a write up about how well they worked.
I would think if the rubber is heavier (beefier) they would not work as well, needing more force to do their job.
R

www.wirewerkes.com