Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #481
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerboy81 View Post
So, when replacing 6v coils with 12v coils, do you just wire them like before or do you run 12v to each then make a "Y" in the points wire to connect to each??

90% of replaced coils were function nominal, just easy to buy and mount. How did you prove the coil was bad??

I currently see 5+ pairs of 6v stock coils currently running on eBay for $30 or less buy it now.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #482
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,191
One of the reasons a dumb arse like me went to a single twin outlet coil was that I knew how to wire it up.

These minature twin outlets that EuroM---- sells work feal well - I have a pair on my G/S

Coils get old and tired just like the rest of us, so do what everyone else does, piut your worn out junk on Ecrap and get something new and better.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:13 AM   #483
Ohaki
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudmucker View Post
Has anybody found an alternative source for this?

BMW Part number 31421241649 - 'guide ring'

There is one in virtually every Airhead front fork damper since 1980 and they cost US$21.76 each!
Due to Regional pricing were I live, they cost the equivalent of $37.50 apiece.

I haven't actually weighed one, but I suspect this tiny teflon trifle of a part is more costly than its equivalent weight in pure gold!
Hi,

bought a lot of parts from UK at Moto-bins.

You also can get these damper rings there....

http://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts....20valve%20Twin

Name:  fork_damper.JPG
Views: 1477
Size:  27.0 KB

regards
Old 08-01-2011, 01:55 AM   #484
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,060
I've bee pulling a few monos on my Seibenrock G/S. If I keep this up what is likey to happen in terms of a twisted driveshaft, damaged gearbox?
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:09 AM   #485
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
I've bee pulling a few monos on my Seibenrock G/S. If I keep this up what is likey to happen in terms of a twisted driveshaft, damaged gearbox?
More stress is more wear is fewer miles to failure. Hard off road use is the reason so many G/S GS riders have shaft/tranny/clutch issues compared to us casual road riders. Once per year check of fasteners for a road machine ist gut. Every frikken day for hot shot off roaders ain't too much.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:53 AM   #486
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
There are certainly a number of things that can break or get bent. But back in the day I was told the reason we don't do wheelies on our Airheads is because of the input shaft to the transmission. It can be twisted and will have to be removed immediately. I've seen one that was twisted and the owner said he did it by doing wheelies but I don't know how many of these it takes. I've done a couple on my R90/6 and it's still OK. That's 3, maybe, in 12 years of riding her.
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #487
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,802
Turn Signal Flasher

I found this subject covered in a couple of other posts, but wanted to add some additional info.

After my flasher(1983 R80 ST) slowly died over my round trip to PA and back for the MOA Rally, I went to my local auto parts store and matched it to a Tridon EP36 12V 3 terminal flasher for $13. There were two types on the shelf, one for 2 - 4 bulbs and one for 3 - 6 bulbs. I'm guessing that the part number on mine, EP36, refers to the number of bulbs since I picked the 3 - 6 bulb model. Hey! More is better, right? It didn't dawn on me that only three bulbs are flashed at a time (two signals and the dash indicator). But it is supposedly a variable load flasher that can be used for trailering as well.

The terminals are labeled with the same numbers as the OEM flasher instead of the letters. It was a plug and play repair.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #488
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,319
Oh! Good to know, Mark, as I think mine is about to die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
I found this subject covered in a couple of other posts, but wanted to add some additional info.

After my flasher(1983 R80 ST) slowly died over my round trip to PA and back for the MOA Rally, I went to my local auto parts store and matched it to a Tridon EP36 12V 3 terminal flasher for $13. There were two types on the shelf, one for 2 - 4 bulbs and one for 3 - 6 bulbs. I'm guessing that the part number on mine, EP36, refers to the number of bulbs since I picked the 3 - 6 bulb model. Hey! More is better, right? It didn't dawn on me that only three bulbs are flashed at a time (two signals and the dash indicator). But it is supposedly a variable load flasher that can be used for trailering as well.

The terminals are labeled with the same numbers as the OEM flasher instead of the letters. It was a plug and play repair.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #489
Fudmucker
ex-lurker

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohaki View Post
Hi,

bought a lot of parts from UK at Moto-bins.

You also can get these damper rings there....

http://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts....20valve%20Twin

Attachment 279348

regards
Thank you Ohaki.
I'll buy there in future...

... unless anyone knows an even cheaper option!??
Old 08-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #490
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 7,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
There are certainly a number of things that can break or get bent. But back in the day I was told the reason we don't do wheelies on our Airheads is because of the input shaft to the transmission. It can be twisted and will have to be removed immediately. I've seen one that was twisted and the owner said he did it by doing wheelies but I don't know how many of these it takes. I've done a couple on my R90/6 and it's still OK. That's 3, maybe, in 12 years of riding her.
We don't do wheelies? I wheelie mine all the time. I always have. It's not hard on the input cush drive. I have around 200,000 wheelie prone miles (I only wheelied my R69S a couple of times) with no trouble for it whatsoever. Power shifting and dumping the clutch is hard on them, however.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #491
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
We don't do wheelies? I wheelie mine all the time. I always have. It's not hard on the input cush drive. I have around 200,000 wheelie prone miles (I only wheelied my R69S a couple of times) with no trouble for it whatsoever. Power shifting and dumping the clutch is hard on them, however.
Brad will be happy to hear this!!!
Old 08-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #492
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,753
Wheelie time!

1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #493
baldwithglasses
Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer: 795
Don't ride with Brad unless you plan to leave a man's behind.
baldwithglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #494
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 7,579
Awesome blaine! It looks like you are going real slow too. I never did learn how to wheelie motorcycles going real slow. I guess I never tried much but still. I am sure I would do it anyway if it came easy!! I always wheeled dirt bikes standing on the pegs. It's a lot more useful when you are actually ripping versus sitting down IMO. I never have really learned how to ride wheelies on a street bike. I can pull them up with the right bump and ride them for a while or luck into a good on once in a while but I can't just pull one up any time anywhere at any speed like I could on dirt bikes. Still though, I have heard many a person say "I didn't know beemers could wheelie". I bet you have heard that one a time or two!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #495
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Awesome blaine!

Ha! Blaine would never ride something that ugly. That's Brad aka bgoodsoil