Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #571
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,900
A lot of automotive plug wire is resister wire. Part of the radio noise suppression system. On BMW Airhead motorcycles we use non-resister wire but have plug caps with 1000 Ohms, pre-electronic, and 5000 Ohms for electronic systems. The spark plugs are also supposed to be non- resister.

I suppose every combination of resister, non-resister, plugs, caps, wires, etc... has been tried and/or served in an emergency. If you put resister wire with resister plug caps you will have too much you know what.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #572
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,730
I've gotten the copper core plug lead from NAPA. The caps are NGK, available from most bike shops for about three bucks a pop. The coil clip for the wire is also available from NAPA.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #573
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
I've gotten the copper core plug lead from NAPA. The caps are NGK, available from most bike shops for about three bucks a pop. The coil clip for the wire is also available from NAPA.
Will say NAPA has been my friend for lots of things appropriate. But if it is Euro of any type then you better know it is correct. Very rare I ever returned parts to Napa. A few times only and never an issue with refund.

And keep in mind there are a bunch of NAPA stores in very rural areas. They provide big services to all the farmers and ranchers far from the cities.

I still get most my lubricants and supplies there.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:53 AM   #574
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,063
I want to make my own. What specific wires and caps should I order? I really tried to buy the separate parts and no one had them or gave a shit.
An excersise in frustration because sandia BMW parts zombie sucks giraffe balls.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #575
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo View Post
I want to make my own. What specific wires and caps should I order? I really tried to buy the separate parts and no one had them or gave a shit.
An excersise in frustration because sandia BMW parts zombie sucks giraffe balls.
Don't make us hunt for the bike you want these for! Give us all the data - year and model specifically. But, all the data needed was given a few posts back - 5K ohm caps for electronic ignition, 1K ohm for points. Copper core plug wire. You'll have to determine how much is needed because I don't recall off the top of my head.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #576
georgesgiralt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Hello !
I've redone the wires on my R65.
I used a silicone isolated wire which is wonderful because very very supple. Caps are NGK with a 5K resistor in them. Good waterproofing ! And easy to install. I found screwing "plugs" to fit at the other end in the ignition coil. Fine also.
I put a dab of vaseline into the coils hole to prevent moisture going in. Et voilà !
georgesgiralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #577
brocktoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
A few of the /5 headlight shell grommets appear to be NLA. I'm looking for the left and right thumbswitch wire -> headlight shell grommets, in particular (63128071750)

What are folks using these days?
brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #578
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
Don't make us hunt for the bike you want these for! Give us all the data - year and model specifically. But, all the data needed was given a few posts back - 5K ohm caps for electronic ignition, 1K ohm for points. Copper core plug wire. You'll have to determine how much is needed because I don't recall off the top of my head.
1986 r80 stock ignitions
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #579
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

That's what you need - 5K ohm caps, solid copper core wire and the connection thingies at the coil end. Seems like three feet should do you, but get four just to be sure.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #580
some_guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Collector Box Replacement

Anyone know where I can get something like this in the states? For a 95 R100RT.

http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfin...?q=88593&go=GO

some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #581
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_guy View Post
Anyone know where I can get something like this in the states? For a 95 R100RT.

http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfin...?q=88593&go=GO

I have that on my Monoshock. It's a nice piece.

Don't think you'll find it in stock in the states.

Rocky point will get it for you, but you'll pay the same as from Motobins in the end.

http://www.rockypointcycle.com/c-bmw...s_exhaust.html

If I were you, you may want to put together a Motobins order for some other stuff and order yourself.
Les_Garten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #582
subagon
Hopelessly lost

Oddometer: 568
Make sure you don't get charged for the VAT since you don't live in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Garten View Post
I have that on my Monoshock. It's a nice piece.

Don't think you'll find it in stock in the states.

Rocky point will get it for you, but you'll pay the same as from Motobins in the end.

http://www.rockypointcycle.com/c-bmw...s_exhaust.html

If I were you, you may want to put together a Motobins order for some other stuff and order yourself.
subagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #583
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 781
Eh? replacement for ignition board

As my /5 is nearing the point of being a daily driver I find myself wanting to replace the PO cobbled ignition switch. I was once told that there is a "modern" replacement board that can be use in place of the costly stock (63121351672) board. If memory serves, I was told that it comes with a modern key that can be covered with a nail key cover.

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #584
brocktoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolf35 View Post
As my /5 is nearing the point of being a daily driver I find myself wanting to replace the PO cobbled ignition switch. I was once told that there is a "modern" replacement board that can be use in place of the costly stock (63121351672) board. If memory serves, I was told that it comes with a modern key that can be covered with a nail key cover.
You're thinking of the Rocky Point Cycle ignition switch upgrade.

I just got one. It's easy to install. It consists of the a machined aluminum ring to hold the new keyed ignition switch, the switch itself, and some pre-wired terminal blocks to replace those on the original board.

The only pain point (for me) is the that my H4 reflector interferes with the switch. As he mentions on the product page, the stock /5 incandescent bulb reflector or an R65 H4 reflector will work. I'm looking at getting the latter, or replacing the ignition switch itself with a shorter one -- if possible.

As for using the original nail key cover, you'll have to take the one you have, dremel out the nail, and epoxy in the new key.
brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #585
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocktoon View Post
You're thinking of the Rocky Point Cycle ignition switch upgrade.

I just got one. It's easy to install. It consists of the a machined aluminum ring to hold the new keyed ignition switch, the switch itself, and some pre-wired terminal blocks to replace those on the original board.

The only pain point (for me) is the that my H4 reflector interferes with the switch. As he mentions on the product page, the stock /5 incandescent bulb reflector or an R65 H4 reflector will work. I'm looking at getting the latter, or replacing the ignition switch itself with a shorter one -- if possible.

As for using the original nail key cover, you'll have to take the one you have, dremel out the nail, and epoxy in the new key.

That is the one, thank you for the link and information.

The PO has already installed the H4 so there should be no interference issue. As to the nail, I got a hint from a BMW Indy to heat the nail part until the plastic is hot and with pliers pull out the nail part. Then after shaping the head part of the nail using heat reinsert it into the plastic.

rudolf35 screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 10:57 AM
rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote