Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #631
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,343
I had a 65LS when they were new. It had an inherent buzz from around 105-120 kph. It was a matter of "they all do that". A mates R65 also had the same issue.

I did meet a bloke that told me his vibes were cured with free flowing mufflers (read noisy) but I never did ride it to find out for myself.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #632
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerboy81 View Post
I had a 65LS when they were new. It had an inherent buzz from around 105-120 kph. It was a matter of "they all do that". A mates R65 also had the same issue.

I did meet a bloke that told me his vibes were cured with free flowing mufflers (read noisy) but I never did ride it to find out for myself.
I believe my LS had 3.57:1 gearing but I never cruised around that slow. I made very free flowing mufflers for mine and it didn't change the way it vibrated at all. Tightening the engine mounts might? Making custom engine spacers so that torquing the engine mounts doesn't stress the frame (bow the frame in) might help. My dad fixed more than a couple of brand new beemers doing that.
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:32 AM   #633
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I believe my LS had 3.57:1 gearing but I never cruised around that slow. I made very free flowing mufflers for mine and it didn't change the way it vibrated at all. Tightening the engine mounts might? Making custom engine spacers so that torquing the engine mounts doesn't stress the frame (bow the frame in) might help. My dad fixed more than a couple of brand new beemers doing that.
No memory of the gearing mine had.
No surprise the free flowing mufflers don't really work to reduce vibes. Too much bullshit around to believe everything one hears or reads.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #634
MattySull
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I apologize for not being clear enough, the buzzy I mean is that the engine RPMs seem too high. At 65mph I am at 4500RPM(ish).
It feels so unnatural to me to cruise around at 4800rpm at 70mph, the exhaust is free flowing and it is loud. The bike is actually pretty well synced and doesn't seem to vibrate much. I just feel that the engine is working too hard for basic crusiing speed and when I want to pass someone at 70-80 it is like it's going to blow at 5000RPM +.
MattySull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #635
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySull View Post
I apologize for not being clear enough, the buzzy I mean is that the engine RPMs seem too high. At 65mph I am at 4500RPM(ish).
It feels so unnatural to me to cruise around at 4800rpm at 70mph, the exhaust is free flowing and it is loud. The bike is actually pretty well synced and doesn't seem to vibrate much. I just feel that the engine is working too hard for basic crusiing speed and when I want to pass someone at 70-80 it is like it's going to blow at 5000RPM +.
Wanna put an R100RS back end on it? Everything you need, drive, wheel, axle, brake disk, all brake parts, tire...reasonable but not cheap.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #636
MattySull
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
Wanna put an R100RS back end on it? Everything you need, drive, wheel, axle, brake disk, all brake parts, tire...reasonable but not cheap.
I think I may have decided on a 34/11 from an R90. It should give me a much better range and hopefully not take all the guts out of the R65. I do realize that it will make a powerless engine less powerful but I am willing to take that hit.

I think yours is probably a 33/11 which is going to be a little too tall for this engine and the 34/11 has drum brakes so easy install.
Thanks anyway.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #637
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,792
And it will take all the guts out of it. I am afraid you are gearing it so tall your top speed will be 80mph. If you have the time to get up to red line in third gear. I use to cruise mine at 6K ALL the time.
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #638
kaput13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Quote:

You might find greater happiness if you just changed the exhaust back to stock. A stock exhaust R65 at 80 mph feels fine.
kaput13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #639
MattySull
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
And it will take all the guts out of it. I am afraid you are gearing it so tall your top speed will be 80mph. If you have the time to get up to red line in third gear. I use to cruise mine at 6K ALL the time.

That is OK with me. The bike was a slow poke to begin with, if it is seriously a problem I will put the old rear drive back on.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #640
slmyers

Oddometer: 21
My R65 is annoying and buzzy as hell on the highway.

Haven't heard anyone comment on the annoying buzz of an R65 recently.
That R65 vibration was usually most noticeable between 4200-5000 rpm.
Unfortunately, when the R65 was introduced the national speed limit was 55 mph, thus most open highway cruising put the engine speed right in the middle of the vibration range.
Sadly, because of this particular trait, the R65 was always a much maligned model.
Which was a bit unfair, because if ridden briskly, the R65 was and I am sure still is a really fun bike to ride.
I would strongly advise against changing the gearing. You will ruin the very nature of the motorcycle.
R65's love to be rev'ed and a properly maintained R65 will gladly run at near red line all day.
That practice may not feel comfortable to the typical air-cooled BMW rider but the R65 motor is amazingly durable.

In the early 1980's attempts at eliminating or reducing that annoying vibration resulted in a number of solutions.
Dave Parker writing in the August 1983 issue of the BMWMOA magazine outlined a method of using modified Chevrolet rubber engine mounts on the front engine mounts of the R65.
In the August 1884 issue of Motorcyclist magazine, Joe Minton suggests using BMW 320i air-conditioner rubber mounts, again installed on the R65's front engine mounts only.
And finally, at the time this was thought to be such a problem that our good friends at Luftmeister, Inc. had gone as far as developing a vibration isolating engine mount kit.

@MattySull: Please check your PM's, I have some additional items I can mail to you.
slmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #641
baldwithglasses
Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer: 795
My R65 was happiest around 5500 - 6200 rpm.
baldwithglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #642
baldwithglasses
Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer: 795
That R65 engine is meant to spin a little faster. Lug it by overgearing it, and you will miss the point of what that motor has to offer.

It's peppy and revvy - just don't expect it to act like an R100, and everything'll be just fffiiiiinnneeee.
baldwithglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #643
MattySull
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmyers View Post
@MattySull: Please check your PM's, I have some additional items I can mail to you.
I don't seem to have any PM's. I'd love to hear what you've got!

I am going to stay stubborn here and consider gearing and other options for a nicer highway experience. I seriously just want a cruising gear where 70 is hovering at 4-5k RPM. I know the bike will have no guts at the top of 5th or from a dig but I think I can manage. And if not....I will swap it back in an afternoon.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #644
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
I don't seem to have any PM's. I'd love to hear what you've got!

I am going to stay stubborn here and consider gearing and other options for a nicer highway experience. I seriously just want a cruising gear where 70 is hovering at 4-5k RPM. I know the bike will have no guts at the top of 5th or from a dig but I think I can manage. And if not....I will swap it back in an afternoon.
Buy an extra gasket up front, right?
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #645
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,949
Quote:
It would seem then that you bought the wrong bike. Instead of trying to make the under powered R65 do something it was not designed to do you may consider getting an R100 of sorts.

If you are one of those that have an R65 because of height restrictions this may be more involved than I fancy. But there are things that can be done to the larger bikes.

You may even have the wrong brand of motorcycle. Harley's have a nice low rpm cruising vibe. They in general go much slower than an Airheads I'm around but that's another story. The Harley does fit many riders I think.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote