Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2014, 11:11 PM   #751
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Dont get too excited, just Wait until you buy some supposedly genuine BMW spare parts , like handlebar or ignition switches, and you will find that they are cheap unbranded rubbish which wont last two months. Or final drive shims and spacers which are nowhere near the correct size.

I doubt if much that BMW supplies today is made by the OEM manufactures, so if Motobins are using OEM suppliers then you are probably getting better parts than from you official BMW dealer.

FWIW I have been using Motobins for the past 18 years and their service, and products have been perfect, without fail.

And for most of the past 15 years would not supply the US of A, which makes me wonder how you were able to gget your parts.

And also make me wonder why you kept dealing with them when the parts were rubbish and the servic lousy.

I think Albert Einstien? had something to say about someone who keeps doing the same thing over and expects a different result each time
Old 05-07-2014, 01:12 AM   #752
jackafrica
sinking low in the saddle

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerboff View Post

FWIW I have been using Motobins for the past 18 years and their service, and products have been perfect, without fail.

And for most of the past 15 years would not supply the US of A, which makes me wonder how you were able to gget your parts.

And also make me wonder why you kept dealing with them when the parts were rubbish and the servic lousy.

I think Albert Einstien? had something to say about someone who keeps doing the same thing over and expects a different result each time
I mentioned nought about the service, other than one sales persons response to my complaint.
The unprofessional response wasn't expected.
Funny, I had dealt with Motobins a dozen years ago and forgot the compromise one has to make at times with respect to originality and quality.
Genuine and original are terms which have only one meaning, especially when you are buying online.
To supply otherwise is misleading at the very least.

Perhaps you're willing to use generic single lip wheel bearing seals on a /6 or /7?
BTW, genuine seals for the wheel bearings are still available, from BMW and others, in the original correct type.

But there you go, why let a fact get in the way.

Tasmania is south of mainland Australia, thankfully.

jackafrica screwed with this post 05-07-2014 at 06:16 PM
jackafrica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:00 AM   #753
RagerToo
vroom vroom

Oddometer: 267
AFA a re-pro manual there's an outfit on eBay, listing themselves as being in New Zealand, with "good paper" and spiral bound. Damn if I can find it, I never saved a favorite.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #754
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Motobins have been in business for nearly 40years, supplying pats to the Uk, US and Aussie, so they must be doing something right. The business started by buying BMW parts from the original manufacturers, but not from the BMW network, so the parts won't always have BMW part nos, but usually the same part that the dealer would supply, but at a significant discount.

BMW cannot be relied on to provide all parts for our old bikes, as some parts can go out of stock for a period of time . The pattern rocker covers on my 1070 bike work well, they are thinner than OEM, but I'm happy to accept that in exchNge for the much cheaper price.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #755
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,015
I have dealt with Motobins once. They sent me the wrong pistons. It did not take me long to figure that they were the Euro version of Capital Cycle here in the states which is not much of a complement. Even when parts are made by the original manufacturer that does not mean they are the same parts BMW sells.

BMW parts now? They were the best up until around ten years ago. That's when I first noticed BMW selling what you would normally get at Capital Cycle or Motobins. BMWAG paved the way for that BS with /2 parts about 15 years ago. All of a sudden you could get parts through BMW that prior were only available through repo sources. I guess BMW figured why not get in on the action? Nevertheless, your chances of getting good quality parts are still best through BMW dealerships. Depending of course but . . . .

BMW prices? People have been moaning about that subject for decades. Up until 10 years ago, BMW retail prices here in the states were overall excellent. They had remained pretty much unchanged for 25 years! That has most recently changed. Some parts have doubled or tripled here in the states lately. Keeping up with inflation and then some in some cases!

Being in business for a long time? If only 'the free market' was nearly as perfect as some claim it is and weed out the good from the bad! Complete BS! The words free and market go together about like the words rich and economy.

supershaft screwed with this post 05-07-2014 at 10:29 AM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #756
jjwithers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Thumb

MAX BMW has been amazing. If I have a question about anything, i can call them up and the parts guys (Rusty or Drew) will answer it, or find an answer and get back to me.

I have had 100% great experiences ordering from them and I have spent LOTS of money there for my past 3 restorations.
jjwithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #757
nmalozzi
airheaded

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwithers View Post
MAX BMW has been amazing. If I have a question about anything, i can call them up and the parts guys (Rusty or Drew) will answer it, or find an answer and get back to me.

I have had 100% great experiences ordering from them and I have spent LOTS of money there for my past 3 restorations.
x2. I haven't had to call them, but they always have what I'm looking for online and get it to me super fast. Often you can find some of what they sell slightly cheaper elsewhere, but I don't mind paying the little bit extra to know I'm getting what I need in a timely fashion.

I've been happy with http://www.bmw2valve.com/ as well.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #758
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Quote:

And, of course, there's the M&Ms.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:59 PM   #759
garthg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
And, of course, there's the M&Ms.
I didn't get any in my last order. Should I complain?
"The motorcyle is a constant challenge to the man; a challenge to experience the adventure of man's command over the machine--directly, unadulterated. Over and over again, wind, weather and road must be conquered and mastered anew.
For this, the machine--"
garthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #760
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,478
Quote:

I order half from MAX and half from Huckys.

None of us are perfect, but over the course of my 10+ years of airhead ownership and many, many orders for my fleet of 6 BMWs.. both places have messed up an order or two. No big deal.

But, what I've found annoying is how during the rare mistake, MAXBMW has always blamed me, told me I'm wrong, and been completely resistant to making things right. And yet, every time I check back on their website, they've fixed the errors that I've caught. As if I wasn't already 100% confident in my position, that just tops it off.

I don't hesitate to order from them, but I really don't get the blame game mentality.

Huckys, on the other hand, has not caused a fuss and has fixed any problem in short order.

Just my experience..

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:24 AM   #761
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,478
Also, changing gears..

What's the word on a cheaper replacement for the earlier condensers (say for like a /6)? Every post in this thread is about the later ones.

They're about $15 everywhere online. Surely there's a good, cheaper alternative at the local store. Or, should I not bitch about the $15?

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:37 AM   #762
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,973
CDD,

Somebody said recently that they used Mallory condensers on their Airheads. I haven't looked into this yet but I think the idea is that it is a better, more heavy duty, item. Lasts longer maybe. A quick search found prices less than $10.

Small change needs to be made to the wiring. It's not the same double prong set up we are used to. Minor issue.

I have used Mallory parts before in other vehicles and they are the real thing. Never had a problem with a Mallory condenser.

Charlie

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:27 PM   #763
dm635
Let's Roll

Oddometer: 361
I got the Norris points. They told me the condenser was Norris as well. There was no marking so who knows. Still working much better than the junk set I received from that company known as C.C. They will never get another dollar from me.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #764
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
CDD,

Somebody said recently that they used Mallory condensers on their Airheads. I haven't looked into this yet but I think the idea is that it is a better, more heavy duty, item. Lasts longer maybe. A quick search found prices less than $10.

Small change needs to be made to the wiring. It's not the same double prong set up we are used to. Minor issue.

I have used Mallory parts before in other vehicles and they are the real thing. Never had a problem with a Mallory condenser.

Charlie
I used to run a huge Mallory on my /5. Matt Parkhouse turned me on to them. You need to fab a bigger loop bracket is all.

If your meter has a capacitor test function you can take a reading on a new condensor (it will be in Farads or micro-farads IIRC) and put it in your log. They if you suspect failure later you can test it again and compare the values.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #765
Zebedee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Does anybody know of a source for the 5 pin connectors (both male and female) to attach the rear wiring harness on a GS?