User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2007, 07:53 AM   #1
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Oddometer: 2,292
R65 GS HP1.0 Bumblebee PICS!

So, I don't post alot on this website because I spend more time in my garage then on the computer but I do visit this website on a daily basis. The airhead dirtbikes section has inspired me to build one,So i did.
I am 47 and race both modern and vintage bikes in motocross, I have a 07 KTM 250F and a 80 RM 125 that I will be racing this year in ACRMX as well as AMA Dist. 34. In the ACR series there are a lot of unique bikes but I have never seen a BMW race, So I guess it will be me!!

I started with a 79 R 65 that had been slightly modified, But basicaly started from scratch. I removed the whole front end and installed a 02 Yamaha 426 comlete front end and wheel.I installed 2 18''Progressive Shocks in the rear in a laid down position to get about 8" of travel and gusseted the frame. I had to make up a new sub frame to support a seat from a 80 RM 125 I used a gas tank from a 77 Bultaco Pursang and side panels from the same. I have always liked the look of the bumblbees so I had custom stickers made up to go for that look. I made a custom exhaust that is 2 into 1 that exits into a Yoshamira(sp?)silencer up high. The bike is going to be street legal with removable lights for MX. The bike has come out well above my expectations mostly because of the inspiration of this website. I am working on getting photos up just don't have my own camera.

pvangel screwed with this post 02-26-2007 at 07:01 PM
pvangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
bykpimp
Live and let ride

Oddometer: 1,408
For the love of god man, we need some pics!!! I have been shopping ebay for a CR250 front end swap for my 89R100GSPD. Tell me more about the front end swap please.
bykpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Front end

The bike had been modified by po ( user name Clang) It had a 80's? Yamaha front end on it, I thought it was very light for the weight of the bike. I only had to make up some spacers on the lathe to make it fit. It was the easiest part of the build.

One thing I have to say is the amount of time it takes to do something like this is unreal,I tried to keep everything as simple as possible and removed everything that was not needed. I probably have 100 hrs. in total time into it. Not to mention $$$$$
Old 02-26-2007, 08:30 AM   #4
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvangel
So, I don't post alot on this website because I spend more time in my garage then on the computer but I do visit this website on a daily basis. The airhead dirtbikes section has inspired me to build one,So i did.
The way is soppose to Be but be careful you can get somehow addicted..

Quote:
I am 47 and race both modern and vintage bikes in motocross, I have a 07 KTM 250F and a 80 RM 125 that I will be racing this year in ACRMX as well as AMA Dist. 34. In the ACR series there are a lot of unique bikes but I have never seen a BMW race, So I guess it will be me!!
well just make sure you have the camara then

I don't know if you know this but BMW race and also won the ISDE for at least two years in the early 70's on heavilly modified R65 (I think) you can look for the exelent articles at VMX magazine from Australia (The best moto magazine I have ever seeing)

Quote:

I started with a 79 R 65 that had been slightly modified, But basicaly started from scratch. I removed the whole front end and installed a 02 Yamaha 426 comlete front end and wheel.I installed 2 18''Progressive Shocks in the rear in a laid down position to get about 8" of travel and gusseted the frame. I had to make up a new sub frame to support a seat from a 80 RM 125 I used a gas tank from a 77 Bultaco Pursang and side panels from the same. I have always liked the look of the bumblbees so I had custom stickers made up to go for that look. I made a custom exhaust that is 2 into 1 that exits into a Yoshamira(sp?)silencer up high. The bike is going to be street legal
Oh my freaking God, all that sounds exelent

are you ussing the "Skinny" R65 engine or something wider
Quote:
with removable lights for MX.
That is a great idea
Quote:
The bike has come out well above my expectations mostly because of the inspiration of this website.
Most exelent, I love the "Snowball" effect coming loud down the Mountain..

did you get to test ride it so far..

how was it..!?!?
Quote:
I am working on getting photos up just don't have my own camera.
"just don't have my own camera."
A true Sign of a real Crafsman, all the money spend on tools and materials I can assume.

maybe we need to get you one, I just give my old S400 to my friend JP so is not impossible, since I was tyred of seeing his amazing work come and go with out bieng document it..

actually is a shame you did not have a camara to take fotos of the building process were the real beauty of the exercice, resides at least in my eyes

maybe post the area were you live and another member can go and help with the picture taking

Also I you need a place to HOst them I have room at my smugMug galleries if you like, or maybe King baldy can give you his blessing since i'm sure you project will bring tons of inspiration for others.

Ricardo Kuhn screwed with this post 02-26-2007 at 08:37 AM
Ricardo Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:36 AM   #5
pvangel OP
Team AARP

I have only started it yet, The sound is perfect, not like a BMW, Not loud, Kind of throaty, Perfect. 4 more inches of snow today,So I don't no when I will be able to ride it.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:41 AM   #6
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,220
Quote:
I have only started it yet, The sound is perfect, not like a BMW, Not loud, Kind of throaty, Perfect. 4 more inches of snow today,So I don't no when I will be able to ride it.
Like a New baby being born

Did she say Mami..!?!? so far.

I'm also sure she will be screaming Oh yeah, DADDY...!!!! really soon when the snow melts
Old 02-26-2007, 08:47 AM   #7
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,384
This sounds wonderful!

I sooo hope we can get some pics soon!

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #8
GSDude
Banned

Oddometer: 23,607
Quote:

I started with a 79 R 65 that had been slightly modified, But basicaly started from scratch. I removed the whole front end and installed a 02 Yamaha 426 comlete front end and wheel.I installed 2 18''Progressive Shocks in the rear in a laid down position to get about 8" of travel and gusseted the frame. I had to make up a new sub frame to support a seat from a 80 RM 125 I used a gas tank from a 77 Bultaco Pursang and side panels from the same. I have always liked the look of the bumblbees so I had custom stickers made up to go for that look. I made a custom exhaust that is 2 into 1 that exits into a Yoshamira(sp?)silencer up high. The bike is going to be street legal with removable lights for MX. The bike has come out well above my expectations mostly because of the inspiration of this website. I am working on getting photos up just don't have my own camera.
Hurry the hell up and get a camera..must see bike pics NOW!!
GSDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #9
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,248
Can't wait to see the pics !!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:16 AM   #10
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,175
i remember clang.

and you say a yama 426 front end was a bit light for an R65, in your opinion?

Sorry-- re-reading it-- the 426 is on it now.. clang had some other '80's yamaha front... You like this better?
How much does the whole thing weigh?

cant wait to see pics indeed.. you must have a friend with one!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:18 AM   #11
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
i remember clang.

and you say a yama 426 front end was a bit light for an R65, in your opinion?

cant wait to see pics indeed.. you must have a friend with one!

08 RallyMoto bike for Stagehand ??? !!!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:22 AM   #12
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides
08 RallyMoto bike for Stagehand ??? !!!

secret weapon!
Old 02-26-2007, 10:24 AM   #13
sdpc2
Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer: 1,095
Hey Phil;

I have a couple of digital cameras that we can take piks of the bike.... after all it is the least that i could do.

btw: did you go with the single spark heads, or the twin spark?

scott

I lower my passenger pegs for those riders that have gone before me
sdpc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #14
philosobrad
problem_solvent

Oddometer: 159
Drool

I need these photos quickly, my productivity at work is suffering!!
philosobrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:43 AM   #15
bykpimp
Live and let ride

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
The bike had been modified by po ( user name Clang) It had a 80's? Yamaha front end on it, I thought it was very light for the weight of the bike. I only had to make up some spacers on the lathe to make it fit. It was the easiest part of the build.

One thing I have to say is the amount of time it takes to do something like this is unreal,I tried to keep everything as simple as possible and removed everything that was not needed. I probably have 100 hrs. in total time into it. Not to mention $$$$$
Amen brother. I've run across the time involved issue thingy doing wheel swaps with different axle, bearing , spacers, offset of spoked wheel etc.
My last swap was to spoked SMC wheels to my DukeII . What a pain in the ass that was!!!
bykpimp is offline   Reply With Quote