Old 05-30-2013, 05:40 AM   #121
sloweddy
Tree Hugger

Oddometer: 93
Free Camoing BLM Land

.http://ourodyssey.blogspot.com/2008/...lic-lands.html
.note: text below copied from link above:
"
Generally speaking, dispersed camping is permitted anywhere on BLM or Forest Service land unless otherwise posted, usually with the following rules:
In most locations, you must choose a site at least mile from the nearest paved road.
You must not choose a site closer than mile to any "developed facility" such as a campground. (There are some exceptions - BLM often permits overnight stays in picnic areas, for example, whereas the Forest Service does not.)
If you are going to an area where others have camped before, pick a site that's been used before. Plants, soil and wildlife are impacted by new campsites, so using existing ones will minimize your impact.
Camp on bare soil if possible, to avoid damaging or killing plants and grass.
Do not camp within 100 feet of any water source such as a lake, stream, river, or spring.
Do not camp in the middle of a clearing or meadow -- try to make your campsite less visible so that other visitors will see a "wild" setting.
Don't try to level or dig trenches in the ground at your campsite. For tents, pick a site that's already level with good drainage.
Campers, trailers, and other units must remain mobile (i.e. wheels must remain on all wheeled vehicles). Pickup campers may be set on jacks manufactured for that purpose.
Motorized vehicles must remain on existing roads, trails, and washes. Roads or trails commonly in public use cannot be blocked by parked vehicles or by any other means.
Park your vehicle safely off the road, but do not drive further than necessary from the road.
Quiet hours are from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m local time.
Operation of audio devices or motorized equipment, including generators, in a manner that makes unreasonable noise, as determined by the authorized ranger or officer, is prohibited.
The National Park Service noise limit standard of 60dBA at 50' is a good guideline to follow for daytime generator use.
Archaeological or historical properties including, but not limited to, petroglyphs, ruins, historic buildings, and artifacts that may occur on public lands cannot be disturbed.
"Pack it In -- Pack it Out": do not leave any trash behind.
Restore the site to its condition before you occupied it.
Dispersed camping in any given location is allowed for no more than a period of 14 days within any period of 28 consecutive days.
The 28-day period begins when a camper initially occupies a specific location on public lands.
The 14 day limit may be reached either through a number of separate visits or through 14 days of continuous overnight occupation during the 28 day period.
After the 14th day of occupation, the camper must move outside of a 25 mile radius of the previous location until the 29th day since the initial occupation.
Campers must not leave any personal property unattended for more than a specified period, usually from 72 hours to 10 days."
Old 05-30-2013, 05:53 AM   #122
sloweddy
Tree Hugger

Oddometer: 93
BLM Campsites

Nevada:
http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/prog/rec...n/camping.html

Oregon/Washington

http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recr...nm-camping.php

Eugene BLM District (contains links to other BLM districts)

http://www.blm.gov/or/districts/euge...on/camping.php

More BLM Links:

Camping & Day Use Oregon/Washington BLM
www.blm.gov National BLM OR/WA Recreation John Day River‎
10+ items U.S. DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR. BUREAU OF LAND ...
Recreation Site
John Day Crossing (East side)
Cottonwood
Camping Sites
Primitive
No Camping
River Mile 39.6 - 12 miles ...

Camping Oregon/Washington BLM - Bureau of Land Management
www.blm.gov National BLM OR/WA Recreation Rogue River‎
General Information. There are no limits on the number of people, no fees, and no permits required for private use of the river and public lands in the Hellgate ...
Old 06-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #123
ta-rider
Returned from Africa

Oddometer: 133
More GPS POIS of camping places and embassys:

http://www.desert-info.ch/download/p...mping-Welt.zip
ta-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:25 AM   #124
acdfan
day tripper

Oddometer: 132
arizona

dead horse state park cottonwood az. showers, quiet tent area, jumping spot to sedona, flagstaff, jerome. (928) 634-5283
Dead Horse Ranch SP
675 Dead Horse Ranch Rd.
Cottonwood, AZ 86326
also found a free spot for my trip between arizona/california.
I-40 exit 78 on Kelbaker rd, turn north. go about 8 miles to radio tower, turn west on second dirt road past tower. free camping, quiet, but its hot in summer there. if you look on google maps at granite peak the u shaped valley there is the camping area. reminded me of joshua tree np without the people.
also found posting on local riding boards can get me to free camp spots, or to recommended campgrounds.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #125
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
^^^^ nice might have to stay there in a few weeks
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #126
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdfan View Post
dead horse state park cottonwood az. showers, quiet tent area, jumping spot to sedona, flagstaff, jerome. (928) 634-5283
Dead Horse Ranch SP
675 Dead Horse Ranch Rd.
Cottonwood, AZ 86326
also found a free spot for my trip between arizona/california.
I-40 exit 78 on Kelbaker rd, turn north. go about 8 miles to radio tower, turn west on second dirt road past tower. free camping, quiet, but its hot in summer there. if you look on google maps at granite peak the u shaped valley there is the camping area. reminded me of joshua tree np without the people.
also found posting on local riding boards can get me to free camp spots, or to recommended campgrounds.
acdfan walked me through the location of this free campsite. "D" is where you turn left to get to the campsite.

http://goo.gl/maps/t4x3Y I haven't ridden this route yet but hope to soon.

What I did not add to this map was... http://goo.gl/maps/XOW21 ... The Route 66 logo(s) are painted on the highway in front of the Amboy gas station.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #127
roborider
New River Roborider

Oddometer: 231
National Forest Campsites across the USA

List of National Forest campsites in every state, including descriptions and rates (ranging from free to $5 and up, depending on facilities and location).

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/list/nflist.htm

As someone else pointed out, most of these National Forests allow free camping in non-campground areas too.

Roborider - 1150 GS Adventurer - Galax VA

roborider screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 07:02 AM
roborider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #128
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 181
Thumb Great Resource

Thanks for this Roborider, I've been looking for this!!
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #129
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by roborider View Post
List of National Forest campsites in every state, including descriptions and rates (ranging from free to $5 and up, depending on facilities and location).

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/list/nflist.htm

As someone else pointed out, most of these National Forests allow free camping in non-campground areas too.

Roborider - 1150 GS Adventurer - Galax VA
Can't get the URL to work.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #130
highplains drifter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Damn, You had tell people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodder View Post
Northern edge of the Sandhills in Nebraska --

Merritt Reservior South-West of Valentine. Stay at Cedar Bay camping area. Some mild twisties coming from Valentine, very isolated route coming from the south.

The campground has showers and quite a few shady spots. There is a general store near the damn with gas and groceries etc.

My go to campsite when riding the high plains
highplains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #131
scudrunner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
1) Nebraska / Kimball/ Panhandle
2) GPS co-ords--- Not available
3) No Fees
4) Features ... Tables / Fire Ring / Picnic Shelters/ Restrooms/ Water/ Lake/ NO electric
5) http://www.nrdrec.org/area.php?image=oliver_reservoir

On I-80 take Exit 20 at Kimball and travel west on HWY 30 approximately 7 miles. Formerly a State Park, so no state sticker required and no camping fees. Has wooded sites and lake side sites. On the west side of the campground is a off-road vehicle track. The campground is a day ride to Yellowstone and half a day to Rocky Mountain National Forrest in Colorado. If you you plan on staying here let me know, I live in Kimball.
scudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:36 AM   #132
jsb223
ADV Rookie

Oddometer: 1,161
Walling Bend Park
Lake Whitney

Walling Bend

Located on the west shore at the lower end of the lake.
From the dam take Texas 22 east 5 miles and turn right on Texas 56.
Turn right again on FM 2841 which ends in the park.

Two 2-lane boat ramps and primitive camping

No fee required

Open all year

Operated by US Army Corps of Engineers (254) 622-3332

No Gate, no services other than toilet, no running water
Boat ramp not open (June 2014) due to low lake level
Closest town is Laguna Park w/ gas, burger, etc.

7 day limit as most Corps of Engineers parks are.

31.898619 N, 97.39578 W

Street View

http://tinyurl.com/mvys74l

Or

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=31.89...p=12,32.9,,0,0
jsb223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:33 PM   #133
azshtr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloweddy View Post
.http://ourodyssey.blogspot.com/2008/...lic-lands.html
.note: text below copied from link above:
"
Generally speaking, dispersed camping is permitted anywhere on BLM or Forest Service land unless otherwise posted, usually with the following rules:
In most locations, you must choose a site at least mile from the nearest paved road.
You must not choose a site closer than mile to any "developed facility" such as a campground. (There are some exceptions - BLM often permits overnight stays in picnic areas, for example, whereas the Forest Service does not.)
If you are going to an area where others have camped before, pick a site that's been used before. Plants, soil and wildlife are impacted by new campsites, so using existing ones will minimize your impact.
Camp on bare soil if possible, to avoid damaging or killing plants and grass.
Do not camp within 100 feet of any water source such as a lake, stream, river, or spring.
Do not camp in the middle of a clearing or meadow -- try to make your campsite less visible so that other visitors will see a "wild" setting.
Don't try to level or dig trenches in the ground at your campsite. For tents, pick a site that's already level with good drainage.
Campers, trailers, and other units must remain mobile (i.e. wheels must remain on all wheeled vehicles). Pickup campers may be set on jacks manufactured for that purpose.
Motorized vehicles must remain on existing roads, trails, and washes. Roads or trails commonly in public use cannot be blocked by parked vehicles or by any other means.
Park your vehicle safely off the road, but do not drive further than necessary from the road.
Quiet hours are from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m local time.
Operation of audio devices or motorized equipment, including generators, in a manner that makes unreasonable noise, as determined by the authorized ranger or officer, is prohibited.
The National Park Service noise limit standard of 60dBA at 50' is a good guideline to follow for daytime generator use.
Archaeological or historical properties including, but not limited to, petroglyphs, ruins, historic buildings, and artifacts that may occur on public lands cannot be disturbed.
"Pack it In -- Pack it Out": do not leave any trash behind.
Restore the site to its condition before you occupied it.
Dispersed camping in any given location is allowed for no more than a period of 14 days within any period of 28 consecutive days.
The 28-day period begins when a camper initially occupies a specific location on public lands.
The 14 day limit may be reached either through a number of separate visits or through 14 days of continuous overnight occupation during the 28 day period.
After the 14th day of occupation, the camper must move outside of a 25 mile radius of the previous location until the 29th day since the initial occupation.
Campers must not leave any personal property unattended for more than a specified period, usually from 72 hours to 10 days."
Good God Man! I didn't read those and must be breaking a tons of laws. I grew up with, and still use, get out away, camp and leave no trace, have fun, repeat.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #134
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,825
a great spot within walking distance of downtown Moab, mostly RV camping up front, but great little tent camping area out back past the low water bridge, hot showers also available...

http://moabrvresorts.com/canyonlands/location/
Old 06-18-2014, 06:04 AM   #135
redneckdan
Hold my beer & watch this

Oddometer: 576
1) Arkansas, Siloam Springs
2) 36.147024,-94.457402
3) No Fee- National Forest Dispered Camping
4) Wooded Ridge in the Middle of no where, decent breeze. Over looks the Illinois river.
5) Easy access off HWY 16 but still has that middle of no where feel. http://goo.gl/maps/6AynM