User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
johnny rehab OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Rider Fatigue ??

I need some insight . I bought a 650 gs last spring and im looking to take a trip . The need to know is just how long can I ride . Word around the camp fire is 300 miles 6 hrs per day. Any suggestions.
johnny rehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
jehu
∩HƏſ

Oddometer: 3,589
It's up to you.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,654
I would say that's the minimum. I can do 5~600 mile days on my ST1100 with out much fatigue. Different bike though.
I've found a lot of it is just doing some long days and getting used to the feeling.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny rehab
I need some insight . I bought a 650 gs last spring and im looking to take a trip . The need to know is just how long can I ride . Word around the camp fire is 300 miles 6 hrs per day. Any suggestions.
i've done long rides with other guys on 650's although never done a long day myself on one... we did ten 500 - 800 mile days in a row on the alcan, and there were two 650 gs's... i would easily do 1000 miles and probably more on a 650gs... shit... did 1500 in just over a day on my 640 ktm... it's all about your personal comfort though

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,000
Quote:
I think it more depends on you than the bike. Once you're used to long distance riding, I don't see any reason why you couldn't do a thousand mile day on the F650. It's a comfy bike.

You just have to get your system down...don't try to ride too fast, take short breaks every hour, drink lots of liquids, etc.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
johnny rehab OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
I think it more depends on you than the bike. Once you're used to long distance riding, I don't see any reason why you couldn't do a thousand mile day on the F650. It's a comfy bike.

You just have to get your system down...don't try to ride too fast, take short breaks every hour, drink lots of liquids, etc.

Hey thanks for the help .I never dreamed that you could ride that kind of distance . And still be safe and comfortable .
johnny rehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:20 PM   #7
iridefar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
I have done several Iron Butt rides. On the ST1100 I can go 1000 to 1300 miles per day no problem. On the Gold Wing I can do 800 to 1000 (more gas stops). I have done IBA rides on a VTX1800C with no problems. But the F650GS tires me out after about 600 miles. There is little wind protection and it gets blown around more at interstate speeds, so you are working harder to ride it. But that is what makes it even more fun to ride (in my opinion).

IBA #16681
2005 R1200GS
2005 F650GS
2005 GL1800 Gold Wing
1998 ST1100
2002 KLX300R
www.iridefar.com
iridefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:07 PM   #8
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Hey thanks for the help .I never dreamed that you could ride that kind of distance . And still be safe and comfortable .
Get some good gear. Try it on and make sure it fits. A comfortable helmet, jacket, pants, etc. will keep out the wind and elements, and makes riding far less tiresome.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:56 PM   #9
SinFrenas
banal leakage

Oddometer: 959
earplugs. spandex drawers + gold bond powder. lots of breaks. astronaut naps (rest stop table, gear on, gloves under helmet, 15 min.). loads of water + emergen-c powder. sheepskin seatcover. etc.

imho, riding fatigue isn't cumulative. after 2 hrs. and your legs and back are killing you, have a break. 15 min. off the bike and you're good as new.

thus, with an early start, 600 mile days on a dualsport are no sweat. many do much more. ymmv; have fun!

"Life is a good thing. It's a better thing when you have a bike." -Gaspipe
SinFrenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:14 PM   #10
Jeffro115
Redemption.

Oddometer: 4,162
You gotta get out and do a 'dry run,' i.e. practice ride. Set up a loop that will let you travel whatever distance you plan on doing, but close enough that you can cut it short if need be. I'd say be no more than 2 hours away from home towards the later end of the trip.

Riding that distance in practice is the only way you'll really be able to find out how far you can go.

I've put in a few 600 mile days on my V-Strom. So I thought it wouldn't be too bad when I tried it on my XR.

I'll never make that mistake again.

All the vibration and wind really took it out of me through this trip. I was way more tired than I thought I'd be. Plus, at higher highway speeds, I ended up making two more gas stops than I thought I'd have to, which really killed my time and planning.

Having the right gear helps (don't forget a rainsuit) but the only way you'll know how you'll feel at the end of the day is by putting a long day in the saddle.

Good luck!
Old 02-27-2007, 11:22 PM   #11
Jeffro115
Redemption.

Oddometer: 4,162
P.S. earplugs are almost mandatory on a long trip. You'll feel a lot fresher when you aren't as exposed to the constant noise of the wind flying by.

I also take some Advil with me, and later in a ride on a long day, just when I start to feel a bit sore, I take them. That seems to help me continue to be comfortable and enjoy myself a bit more.

Enjoying the ride is part of the trip. Be comfortable and do whatever it takes to stay warm and dry.

If you're tired or sore, a short break to get a candy bar and a cold drink goes a real long way. A short walk can work out fatigue and stiffness like you wouldn't believe.

A Camelbak or some way to sip something to drink while riding is a big help too. It's easy to get dehydrated on a bike, even when it isn't that hot outside.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:08 AM   #12
wmccs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
It depends on what kind of roads your riding, and what kind of elements you’re facing. The answer to your question will be different for every individual. Monitoring fatigue level is paramount. No one can tell you how long is a safe distance to ride. If you ride from Los Angeles to the Oregon border on Interstate 5 your fatigue level will be very different than if you took Coastal Highway One instead (Highway one would be my choice).

I destroyed a FZ1 and nearly killed myself because I wasn't paying attention to my Fatigue level. Pay close attention to how you’re feeling. Stop, and get off the bike frequently. Even five minutes off the bike can queue you into your fatigue level.

wmccs screwed with this post 03-01-2007 at 12:18 AM
wmccs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:38 AM   #13
Don Gavino
Michigan Catracho

Oddometer: 172
Thumb Me too

I am planning the same sort of thing. I want to be in Manhattan for 4th of JUly. I am planning a straight run from Midland, MI leaving at 4:30 am on a DL 650. The pipe dream is to be downtown by 4pm. I may spend the night after crossing into NY from Canada though. I definately getting a sheepskin butt pad, I have a Camelbak and will be eating Snickers and taking walk breaks. There will be probably be some Painaids in there too.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:57 AM   #14
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
Can't say how many miles, yur body will tell you. But six to ten hours a day in the saddle is possible. How many miles will that be - depends on the road and speed. Interstate plan on an average speed of 65 mph (this includes running very fast but making gas, piss, and food stops) If, secondary roads that average might be down around 45mph.

Start out small, build up over each day, and PLAN to finsh small again.

Don't forget to enjoy the trip - blasting past everything to make time/mileage is not the best way to travel.

Don't push yurself when you get stupid - bad things usually happen quickly.

Have fun

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:03 AM   #15
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,406
The one thing that I find that will tire me out very quickly is riding in gusty winds. The noise and buffeting off of a poorly fitted windscreen will quickly fatigue you. Surprisingly a shorter screen that leave your head completly exposed is better than one where the wind is constantly being battered about by wind coming off the screen..
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote