Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2007, 03:48 PM   #166
dakarboy
ugly and stupid

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
I'm sure Blaine will be riding his there on occasion. If I ride mine out west again, it will be in Baja (working on logistics), otherwise it'll be shipped out here to NYC.

where everyone will get a chance to take it for a spin, in the interest of accelerating the break in process...

"IN THE ABSENCE OF REAL TORQUE VALUES, HE-MAN TORQUE SPECS WILL PREVAIL"me
dakarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:22 PM   #167
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakarboy
where everyone will get a chance to take it for a spin, in the interest of accelerating the break in process...
Oh, it's plenty broken in. (the only thing I like on this bike more than downshifting with the slipper clutch... is SIXTH gear.)

But you'll be welcome to take it for a spin just 'cuz it's so awesomely fun. And I doubt you could hurt it. And it's insured.

So what about that hat? Or is the wax spew putting the whole order on hold for you?
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:32 PM   #168
Virtual Rider
Traveler

Oddometer: 773
I think it should be called a "Terrore Mostro"...but then, I'm a little wierd.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:44 PM   #169
40cu.in.of.furey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
I'm surprised they're not inverted forks, it's a killer bike either way!
40cu.in.of.furey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:50 PM   #170
ThatGuyEd
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 591
Oh tits!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #171
sethro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
WOW!

Man oh man, just when I thought my life was complete

Sethro

https://www.facebook.com/adventuredriven
sethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:58 PM   #172
MotoTaur
As Far as You Know

Oddometer: 167
Saw one at the MC show and as a previous monster owner I need one but at $16-17k......
MotoTaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:59 AM   #173
Red_Chili
Fresh Ground

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckrider
I check mine at about 8k miles-BUT my son's next door neighbor's friend knew a guy that had a Ducati and he said the valves should be adjusted every 3 months and it's about $700 each time.
???
Air cooled Ducs' valves are just not that hard to adjust. Maybe a little bit of time. I used to pull the heads and lap the valves and adjust as needed on my F1, made a nice rainy day activity. Like working on a watch really. Just a couple not-too-expensive SSTs to buy.

There is no way in Hades I'd drop 7 bills to pay someone else to do it.
'97 KDX 220 for woods work
SMUGMUG COUPON RSKbiM6oytjtw, save some money and have a great online picture gallery!
Red_Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:21 PM   #174
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 13,247
Great Idea!

Hey, this bike is a great idea! Take a powerful, but light V-twin engine, put it in a trellis frame, add great suspension (well, it should have inverted forks and WP stuff), keep the weight around 400 lbs., and have it be able to go either 100 mph on the street for hours, or 5 mph in single track or seriously deep sand. Make sure every single spec is satisfactory to a world class Enduro rider like Giavanni Sala, and make sure he tests it and tweaks every part.

But, wouldn't it be neat if it had 100 horsepower, rather then 70? And be water cooled to handle the extremes of desert racing, as well as tight, technical woods riding? Or a traffic jam in NYC? And be crash worthy, like a dirt bike, with replaceable vinyl panels and a plastic gas tank? And a long dirt bike seat so you can move around in the sand, mud, and water crossings? Oh, and be under $13,000?

Oh yeah, KTM has already done it:

Doc, your bike is beautiful and unique. But it's going to hurt when you bash that $1,200 tank in the dirt. Or if you hit a log, and that front cylinder gets wacked. Just saying! By the way, do you have it yet in NYC? The Isle of Manhattan is coming up soon!

P.s., I fell in love with the Ducati Elephant many years ago. Was waiting for a modern version of this twin. Loved the TransAlp, but it was too heavy and under powered. I think the HP-2, this bike, and the SE are the modern versions of the TransAlp. Only one, though, is affordable for the average rider for wacking in the woods.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:45 PM   #175
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo
...Only one, though, is affordable for the average rider for wacking in the woods.
Yes, and only one is a ducati.

The SE is a great bike, everyone who has one seems to love it. Some are even downright fanatical about it.

PS: fyi, the tank is plastic, and water cooling is only about 50 more things to break (IMO), and I have a date with her in Baja before she comes to NYC.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 12-23-2007, 01:18 AM   #176
johanssonsan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
How much is a KTM tank?
johanssonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 04:35 AM   #177
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 13,247
suspension

Just saying.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:38 AM   #178
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Just answerin'.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 04-23-2008 at 03:49 PM
Old 12-23-2007, 07:55 AM   #179
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanssonsan
How much is a KTM tank?
$632.50. plus tax and shipping.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:06 AM   #180
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo

Just saying.
Barry,
You coming into the city for the IMS next weekend at Javits? We're getting together Sat. night here. Make sure your friend walter knows too.