Old 12-24-2007, 01:48 PM   #183
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir8te
http://www.terramostro.com/video.cfm

seem to manhadle pretty well
I did that one time with my '86 VFR. It didn't like it as much, but it survived.

Course, I think my back would be very unhappy with me if I tried that these days.
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:52 PM   #184
bongodave
Legalize it, already

Oddometer: 39,353
I don't know what it might take, or who I may have to kill, but THAT, gentlemen, will be my next bike!
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:31 PM   #185
flan8tive
Flea Tibet!

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Yes, and only one is a ducati.

The SE is a great bike, everyone who has one seems to love it. Some are even downright fanatical about it.
Comparing the 950SE and the Mostro is perhaps akin to comparing a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader vs a ballerina in the Bolshoi Ballet...

They can both dance, but one is a much rarer bird.

80 Z50R

flan8tive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 01:28 AM   #186
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by flan8tive
Comparing the 950SE and the Mostro is perhaps akin to comparing a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader vs a ballerina in the Bolshoi Ballet...

They can both dance, but one is a much rarer bird.
But which is which?
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:00 PM   #187
Shemlazy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Recent Terra Mostro sighting!

I don't think it gets much better than this, a foggy morning, some good dirt and a bit of V-twin fun!
Shemlazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #188
Jiminy Cricket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, that's nice. Way to go Overland.
Jiminy Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:38 AM   #189
intheways
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Someone asked for photos of someone riding the bike, so here are a few from the road:

Sweet setup! Are those TKCs on the bike? Is that an Airoh Tiger helmet?

That looks like it would be fun to ride.
intheways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #190
Durangoman
Yeah its me!

Oddometer: 773

That bike is awesome
Durangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:06 PM   #191
Jiminy Cricket
Studly Adventurer

Dr. Rock - what pants are those?? - and very sweet bike!
Old 03-20-2008, 10:22 PM   #192
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminy Cricket
Dr. Rock - what pants are those?? - and very sweet bike!
You're looking at one of the sweetest bikes EVER, and you're asking about my PANTS???

And yes, it's an Airoh... not sure if it's a tiger... it's the newer model .

And can someone please explain to me the difference between new TKC's and half-worn real knobbies?

Oh, and Hi Shawn! Nice wheelie.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:46 AM   #193
Jiminy Cricket
Studly Adventurer

Yes - the pants go stunningly with the bike!!!

Actually, I had first meant to ask if they took care of the limited steering lock on the monster - and i was blinded by that fancy white stripe and forgot to type the important part. Sorry to have tangentified. I rode a monster almost 10 years ago, (whew) and it locked up quickly in a U turn. Are the triple clamps new? Or are they stock? Also - I noticed you took a ride down to Baja - how did the bike hold up? I noticed some pics of you guys with the seat off a few times.

And yes - it is a fantastic bike. It is on my short list now. It would suit me perfectly.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #194
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminy Cricket
Yes - the pants go stunningly with the bike!!!

Actually, I had first meant to ask if they took care of the limited steering lock on the monster - and i was blinded by that fancy white stripe and forgot to type the important part. Sorry to have tangentified. I rode a monster almost 10 years ago, (whew) and it locked up quickly in a U turn. Are the triple clamps new? Or are they stock? Also - I noticed you took a ride down to Baja - how did the bike hold up? I noticed some pics of you guys with the seat off a few times.

And yes - it is a fantastic bike. It is on my short list now. It would suit me perfectly.
The stripe isn't just white... it's rrrreeee-flec-tive .

Triple clamps are indeed part of the customization package. I didn't have any problems at full steering lock, although I would guess its turning radius is a little larger than my old DR650's. We managed some tight terrain at trials-like speeds, and the steering limit wasn't an issue.

Basically, the bike is a go-anywhere, do-anything tool... stylish as all get-out, plenty of juice, takes a hit like Bond (James Bond), and as you saw with the seat-off photos, is very field-servicable.

The Baja trip was a pretty extreme shake-down. In the photos you saw, we had the seat off to get to the wires going back to the tail light which I had stuipidly routed below the mud-guard instead of above when I zip-tied it back on after it's nut had shaken loose. The wires caught even the TKC's short knobs, and I blew a couple of fuses, including the headlight's. Since the bike was running fine, we high-tailed it down off of Mount Diablo to try to get to the Pacific coast before stopping & troubleshooting, not knowing at the time that it would be a simple fix -- the fuse box is really easy to get to on the monster. We made it to a Pemex at dusk... the last few miles in the dark were not my favorites.

There were a couple of other dings: I snapped the shifter linkage on one get-off on a rocky hill climb out of Mike's Sky Rancho. We could have easily jury-rigged a fix, but they were carrying a spare, so we just swapped it in. I have a spare now as well, which I'll keep in the little under-seat storage compartment. On another get-off, a small rock or something got lodged into the kickstand pivot and mangled the stop-tab, so the stand hyper-extended. Would have been a breeze to stop at any welder and have them weld a nub back on. Except we were trying to make a lot of miles in a short time frame, so I just would lean it up against things. It's since been fixed. Finally, without getting into specifics, one result of the trip was a re-consideration and modification / upgrade of one of their custom components. The issue was part Ducati design, and part their application, and they have since over-engineered it to be consistent with the rest of the build, with a minimum weight-penalty.

That sounds like a lot went wrong, but we were riding the bejezus out of those things, and it's like any street-legal bike you take off-road -- mirrors and turn-signals and little bits like those don't do well when they contact terra and flora and fauna, but the foundation; the engine and frame and suspension and wheels and brakes, etc. are strong like bull. I was the only one of us who kept falling down ... mostly cause I suck. I was definitely the weakest rider in the group, and the terrain was up there as the most challenging I've ridden. I really don't deserve this bike, but I bought it and I own it... whattaya gonna do? I'll just have to strive to improve my riding skills, and live with it in the meantime, I guess.

If you're really considering buying one, I'd encourage you to get in touch with Blaine at Overland. Great guy, I'm sure he'll be happy to answer all yer steering lock triple-clamp engineering questions with actual answers, instead of my lame speculation.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #195
Jiminy Cricket
Studly Adventurer

Actually, I was thinking most of the stuff sounds like crap that could happen to anyone. Sounds like the basic design and build was solid all the way through. Good to know they stand by their product too. Enjoy the ride!