Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2008, 02:57 PM   #196
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo
Hey, this bike is a great idea! Take a powerful, but light V-twin engine, put it in a trellis frame, add great suspension (well, it should have inverted forks and WP stuff), keep the weight around 400 lbs., and have it be able to go either 100 mph on the street for hours, or 5 mph in single track or seriously deep sand. Make sure every single spec is satisfactory to a world class Enduro rider like Giavanni Sala, and make sure he tests it and tweaks every part.

But, wouldn't it be neat if it had 100 horsepower, rather then 70? And be water cooled to handle the extremes of desert racing, as well as tight, technical woods riding? Or a traffic jam in NYC? And be crash worthy, like a dirt bike, with replaceable vinyl panels and a plastic gas tank? And a long dirt bike seat so you can move around in the sand, mud, and water crossings? Oh, and be under $13,000?

Oh yeah, KTM has already done it:

Doc, your bike is beautiful and unique. But it's going to hurt when you bash that $1,200 tank in the dirt. Or if you hit a log, and that front cylinder gets wacked. Just saying! By the way, do you have it yet in NYC? The Isle of Manhattan is coming up soon!

P.s., I fell in love with the Ducati Elephant many years ago. Was waiting for a modern version of this twin. Loved the TransAlp, but it was too heavy and under powered. I think the HP-2, this bike, and the SE are the modern versions of the TransAlp. Only one, though, is affordable for the average rider for wacking in the woods.
Sad, but so true! Docgonzo, you are right. I too once adored air-cooled Ducati powered Cagiva Dakar bikes. They looked as beautiful as… well their name says is all, Elephant! At beauty contest TerraMostro wins without a question. I would like to see Ducati to buy the concept. Italian classic meets Hypermoto in dirt trim.

PS. Monster, Monstro or Mostro? Which one was the original name for Ducati Monster series?
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #197
Shemlazy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Terra Mostro vs. sport bike

Had a ball out cruising the Amador foothills this weekend, Knobbies and all!
Love that Terra Mostro!
Shemlazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #198
overland
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Brad Lackey rides the Terra Mostro

We saw Brad Lackey - 1st US World Champion ride the Terra Mostro - he can make it go!!!
Attached Images

overland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #199
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,192
Saw your writeup in Motorcyclist this month.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:45 AM   #200
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,373
Ducati 695 Monster Adventure

Took this from a local magazine. Interesting to see how things were done.

Im sure it wont be the 1st.

Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:07 AM   #201
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
I agree with the author, I hope Ducati takes interest in this segment. The 695 Monster would be a good platform for adventure touring bike. I'd buy one.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #202
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,637
OK so are they still forsale?

I sent them an email at the website asking for info. I am ready to buy one. Are they still in buisness?

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:01 AM   #203
BOXER1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Anyone else get one of these? I want to see more pics!!
Old 06-20-2008, 12:56 PM   #204
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOXER1
...I want to see more pics!!
I haven't been photographing mine. As beautiful as it is, she just begs to be ridden... any time, anywhere, all day, on any surface, and hard.

I'll try to post links to threads that have photos of it from rides since getting it shipped out east.

Here's one, and another.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:35 PM   #205
Shemlazy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Pikes Peak

Anybody seen any info on the Terra Mostro at Pikes Peak. I know a guy rode from Malibu, Calif. put some race numbers on it and earned a pretty respectable finish, am anxious to see some footage if it's floating out there! Thanks, SS (I have an early prototype, oh what fun it is to ride, on a ?
Shemlazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:40 AM   #206
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 12,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOXER1
Anyone else get one of these? I want to see more pics!!
Here's DocRoc at the start of my little railroad track stealth ride a week or two ago. He's just arrived by foot, having run out of gas with the little baby tank he has:

It's a cute little bike, though, when it's running!

docgonzo screwed with this post 07-24-2008 at 05:30 AM
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:10 AM   #207
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

I swear you guys in Jersey are watering down your gasoline. Yeah, it was low, but it was still sputtering, and it didn't take a full tank.

Barry, you'll get a chance to ride it this weekend. And if you're nice, I might even let you load it on your trailer and you can drive around looking really cool. How awesome would that be?

You can't judge it's street manners though, 'cause I mounted huge knobbies F & R. I'll have the street wheels ready to swap soon.

It should be a good weekend up in RI, see you there!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 07-24-2008, 05:37 AM   #208
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 12,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Barry, you'll get a chance to ride it this weekend. And if you're nice, I might even let you load it on your trailer and you can drive around looking really cool. How awesome would that be?
Will probably miss out on the 95 slab to RI this weekend. As mentioned above, I forgot about the pool party Saturday night with the young nurses from the O.R. Have to have your priorities!

I'll be thinking about you slabbing on those knobbies for 6 hours while I play in the sand on Sunday!

See, the problem with dirt/street riding is that different tires are necessary for serious dirt work. That's where the trailer comes into play. Maybe you should get one?

By the way, my tow car and trailer cost less then your dirt bike!
Just saying.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #209
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

This is exactly the kind of attitude I'm talking about.

Without a trailer there is no car.

Without a car there is no garage.

Without a garage there is no house.

Without a house there is no lawn.

Without a lawn there is no lawn mower.

I hate mowing the lawn.

Way to go guys!
Old 08-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #210
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
This is exactly the kind of attitude I'm talking about.

Oh yeah?! Well, the SE's would have made it the same way if their fuel pumps and water pumps hadn't broken.

wpbarlow screwed with this post 08-04-2008 at 12:09 PM
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote