User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2008, 07:05 AM   #211
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,807
I love it!

Show up on the 950 KTM and the girls say KTM? whats that?

Show up on a Duc and the girls say Mmmmm Ducati!!!!!

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #212
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,093
125cc Terra Mostro
Attached Images

NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:51 PM   #213
kl Richard
This is a Dark Ride!!

Oddometer: 107
Cute Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo
Here's DocRoc at the start of my little railroad track stealth ride a week or two ago. He's just arrived by foot, having run out of gas with the little baby tank he has:

It's a cute little bike, though, when it's running!

Looks like David wasn't at his best that day

I wonder why he didn't check the fuel level before departure? Ah...yes...a beautifull woman, causes a man to loose all common sense!!!! A beautiful Ducati makes a man want to RIDE But what to ride....such Choices??!!!!!

kl Richard screwed with this post 12-22-2008 at 03:58 PM
kl Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:03 PM   #214
1speed
Looking for dirt roads.

Oddometer: 39
I sent off for info from their website over a month ago and still have gotten anything. Any idea of their status?
Old 02-17-2009, 03:00 AM   #215
1speed
Looking for dirt roads.

bump
Old 02-17-2009, 03:45 AM   #216
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,206
!speed i think he's full steam ahead on production, i have Blaines email so i'll let him know your question etc. I'm building a 900 version and mate this thing is a brilliant idea, so it'd be worth the wait if your gonna buy one.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #217
1speed
Looking for dirt roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog
!speed i think he's full steam ahead on production, i have Blaines email so i'll let him know your question etc. I'm building a 900 version and mate this thing is a brilliant idea, so it'd be worth the wait if your gonna buy one.

Thanks, I passed up a 900SS-FE a few years back when I was more street oriented and never got over the "Ducati" thing.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #218
smolt
Pike-dodging emigree

Oddometer: 65
Update

Dr. Rock:

Bumping this thread for an update on your Mostro. How do you like it after a year or so?
smolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #219
Kayak Dancer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
If there are no holes in the bash plate, there should be!!
Kayak Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #220
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,075
Funny this got bumped, I was just looking at their website last night. Man if had the money around, bye bye Gran Canyon hello Mostro.

I thought this was sweet.

The First, Last Race - Official Trailer from Derek Nickell on Vimeo.

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:58 AM   #221
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Terra Mostro

Anyone have any idea what's up with these guys?

I sent an email request to them a couple months ago after riding with Doc Rock on the TNJT. No reply.
johnpitts01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #222
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolt
Dr. Rock:
Bumping this thread for an update on your Mostro. How do you like it after a year or so?
I love it. I'm pushing 8000 miles on the bike so far. I've learned some things. First, I learned how to adjust the valves, while I was at it, replaced the belts and installed MBP collets. It's not a small job, but not impossible. I took it on last winter, at 6000 mi (spec is at 7500mi, but I did it early), took my time, and actually had fun doing it. The Ducati engine truely is a beautifully engineered thing. I wrote up a detailed how-to based on my experience and posted it on the Monster list here, if anyone is interested.

The second thing I learned, is that it doesn't like racing enduros in tight NJ woods trails with lots of sand and whoops.

It can cover the terrain, but it's just physically too big to fit comfortably through some of the sections,

which means you (at least I) can never get the speed up fast enough to a) have fun, b) finish within the time regulations, and c) prevent clutch glazing. Since the enduro, I've been struggling finding neutral when stopped -- easy when rolling though, and no problem shifting from gear to gear. I replaced the clutch slave, bled 'till it hurt, and eventually took the clutch apart and changed out the plates. There was a nice coating of brown-sugar glaze that looked baked-on over everything. I coudn't get it all off without removing the basket, and I couldn't remove the basket without an impact wrench, which I now possess. The bike is totally rideable as is, it just bugs me, so maybe that'll be a project for next winter.

On the other hand, it just eats up dual-sport / adventure rides. I love riding to these events, pulling off the panniers, riding the event, then loading back up and riding home, all on the same bike. Everyone who tried it at last year's Pine Barrens 300 seemed to have high praise for it...

(Jesus, I suck ) I practically had to wrench it out of one inmate's clutches when we swapped bikes for awhile. (He was riding an X-challenge and will remain unnamed ) I had a great time with it at Hancock last year... (links to Ride Reports) hope to make it agian. Same with the "Thrill & Chill" ride in R.I.

Good times.

Here's a Ride Report from a 3-day Trans-NJ Trail ride I led this spring. Dirt riding and camping.

Finally, The street wheels have been fun. I mounted them up and took the Total Control course down in Frederick, MD. What a hoot. Before that, I had no idea that street tires stick to pavement as well as knobbies stick to dirt. Eventually though, I learned the limits of traction on this ride. No damage to the bike or me. Also, at some point I put a small bend in each street rim. Again, not unrideable, but I'll probably ship them up to New Hampsha over the winter to get straightened. I had been riding the street wheels / tires over dirt roads early spring, and I'm pretty sure it happened when I hit a pothole hard. In retrospect, I should have kept the street wheels exclusively on pavement; my guess is that spoked 17" wheels (instead of cast) would be more appropriate for true sumo on/off road riding.

That's about it... I've done all the maintenance on it, upgraded some components with typically unnecessary farkles, the usual. Basically, I don't baby it, and it non-chalantly soaks up all the abuse I throw at it with grace. When I do manage to break something (not often), it's easy to fix. The suspension continues to rock, and if I had one complaint, it's that it's never clean. All the other Ducati's I see are all shiney and stuff. Mine must be defective somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak Dancer
If there are no holes in the bash plate, there should be!!
There are holes in the bash plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01
Anyone have any idea what's up with these guys?
I sent an email request to them a couple months ago after riding with Doc Rock on the TNJT. No reply.
I last corresponded with Blaine by e-mail shortly before leaving on Mobius III mid-May. I'm sure the Terra Mostro is not the only project on his plate. I'd suggest emailing again, and/or calling and leaving a message. They're all great guys, who unfortunately picked pretty crappy economic times to launch a fledgling business.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #223
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Thanks

Thanks for the reply Doc.

As you know I ride a KLR. Like you I enjoy riding to the events, pulling off the gear, thrashing the KLR, then mounting up and driving home. I had a blast at Durty Dabbers a couple weeks ago.

The KLR is a bit heavy and underpowered though and I've been looking for something that suits me a bit better. Haven't been able to find anything that approaches the recliner comfort of the KLR...... until I saw your Terra Mostro. I'm hooked.

I'll give Blaine a call this week.

John
johnpitts01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #224
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,099
Question

How bout an update Doc? Ever make it to Baja?
Old 04-30-2010, 07:50 PM   #225
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear
How bout an update Doc? Ever make it to Baja?
Same old same old. Still love the thing. Bike's still dirty. Does everything I ask of it. Fixed the clutch no-neutral-when-stopped thang. Got the street wheel dings pressed out. Usual winter stuff. Rear shock will be getting some attention from Klaus while we're out west riding on Mobius-5. I need a new front knobby. New rear pretty soon. Baja was ages ago. Never did do a ride report. Photos here. Was there anything specific you were wondering about?

From the first real ride of the season:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote